Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pollock
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 257 Guests

Pollock

This thread currently has 32,243 views. Print
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 26, 2021, 12:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from pontoonlew

For a large part of his career Ramos has been one of the fastest defenders in the world  

Christ Lew, there must be some slow forwards in Spain then. Ramos gets a head start with a bloody great tattooed arm across the chest, throat, nose or whatever. He used to get skinned when he played full back. But he has made a career out of being a brick wall so fair enough.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 180
forza ivano
May 26, 2021, 12:37pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Marinerdan
Whilst you can’t learn to be lighting fast you can certainly improve your acceleration and overall speed.

Frank Lampard was told he was going to be released as a youngster as he was too slow. After training was finished he set up his own sprint drills and saw enough of an improvement to keep his place in squad. Clearly he was never Usain Bolt be he was quick enough to cope.

Phil Foden was profiled in the Times and he did a lot of sessions with a sprints coach from Liverpool Harriers.i've never understood why clubs don't use sprints and high jump coaches from athletics to improve their players. i see so many rubbish running styles with footballers, even a few sessions of how to accelerate and sprint efficiently would improve players no end
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 180
Marinerdan
May 26, 2021, 1:29pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +957
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from forza ivano

Phil Foden was profiled in the Times and he did a lot of sessions with a sprints coach from Liverpool Harriers.i've never understood why clubs don't use sprints and high jump coaches from athletics to improve their players. i see so many rubbish running styles with footballers, even a few sessions of how to accelerate and sprint efficiently would improve players no end

Me neither. Even with the naturally quick players I'm sure this type of coaching would make them a touch quicker and in the long run make them less susceptible to injuries.

UTM
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 180
diehardmariner
May 26, 2021, 2:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,717
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from forza ivano

I think most clubs do nowadays incorporate a whole range of training methods and approaches, especially at the elite level.  Oddly, despite an absolute boatload of money coming into the game for the last 30 years, football has been quite slow on the uptake of advancements in training methods.  

It's absolutely nailed on that we've never had anyone take a look at anything like that though.  I mean when was the last time running fast got you 3 points on the pitch?

Private Message
Reply: 23 - 180
mariner91
May 26, 2021, 2:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,772
Gold Stars: 262

Christ Lew, there must be some slow forwards in Spain then. Ramos gets a head start with a bloody great tattooed arm across the chest, throat, nose or whatever. He used to get skinned when he played full back. But he has made a career out of being a brick wall so fair enough.

He’s clocked a top speed of 30.6km/h in the past. What a cart horse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 180
ska face
May 26, 2021, 3:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,812
Gold Stars: 852
Seems to be legs in this one.

http://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/mattie-pollock.58386/

First mentioned on Watford end back in April, lad who first raised it now saying “nearly a done deal”. Would fit in with their recent recruitment having signed a young lad from Rochdale for £125k and would be a straight replacement for some u23s they’ve shifted on.

Said a while ago the best thing for Pollock’s would be to get a move to a club where he’s got access to decent facilities and better players. If your job is to be a lower league stopper, that’s all you’ll get trained to be here.

I did think there was something up with Hurst in his Humberside interview the other day when asked about Grist, and he said something along the lines of “it’s not like we’re suddenly trying to get rid of ALL our young players...Andrew & Jason have been clear that if anything is done it’ll be for the right reasons”.

Good luck to him, hope he gets it over the line.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 180
Poojah
May 26, 2021, 3:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,886
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from ska face

First mentioned on Watford end back in April, lad who first raised it now saying “nearly a done deal”. Would fit in with their recent recruitment having signed a young lad from Rochdale for £125k and would be a straight replacement for some u23s they’ve shifted on.

Said a while ago the best thing for Pollock’s would be to get a move to a club where he’s got access to decent facilities and better players. If your job is to be a lower league stopper, that’s all you’ll get trained to be here.

I did think there was something up with Hurst in his Humberside interview the other day when asked about Grist, and he said something along the lines of “it’s not like we’re suddenly trying to get rid of ALL our young players...Andrew & Jason have been clear that if anything is done it’ll be for the right reasons”.

It’s taken nearly two full pages for a thread about us on an opposition messageboard to descend into fish puns. This is serious.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 180
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 26, 2021, 4:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from mariner91

He’s clocked a top speed of 30.6km/h in the past. What a cart horse.

In a Seat Ibiza?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 180
Son of Cod
May 26, 2021, 4:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from ska face

Interesting. I noted that in Hurst said that too, and wondered whether that was in reference to anything.

Hilarious that there one of the quotes off here on their forum is this:

"Where were you saying this? Everybody on here was frigging themselves senseless over Pollock at the start of the season and every time I suggested he's not that good I got about 20 red crosses."

Siri, please generate the most Fishy response ever and send it to Watford.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 180
ska face
May 26, 2021, 4:58pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,812
Gold Stars: 852
From the pen of old galaxy brain himself -

Quoted from pen penfras

Where were you saying this? Everybody on here was frigging themselves senseless over Pollock at the start of the season and every time I suggested he's not that good I got about 20 red crosses.

Private Message
Reply: 29 - 180
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pollock

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.