This thread currently has 6,766 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
SDUTM
May 23, 2021, 7:20am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +179
Gold Stars: 2
Just reading the telegraph story on Geoff Broome, it’s appalling that this guy managed to stay in football for as long as he did! There must be more people out there that’s been subject to vile abuse from this individual, dreadful to think how many there could be.

I hope that the Club is doing everything that it can to help survivors, although I’m a little bit disappointed that they didn’t offer any comment when asked. Whilst neither the old or new guys are responsible for Broome's actions, they could have acknowledged the bravery of those that came forward and offered an open door for support.

I cannot imagine how the survivors must be affected everyday by the actions of one very sick man, my heart goes out to any victim of abuse and more must be done to ensure that those responsible for historical abuse are held accountable for their actions. Broome’s Sentance is not sufficient and it’s frightening to know that he’s going to be free to roam the streets in no time. We must all help survivors of historical abuse to come forward and share their story otherwise people like Broome will simply be allowed to walk around and not suffer for their actions.

To the guys that came forward and gave evidence against Broome, we all salute your bravery and have nothing but the upmost respect and compassion for the journey and suffering you have endured.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Vance Warner
May 23, 2021, 8:29am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,832
Gold Stars: 106
Not sure what GTFC have to apologise for but there certainly needs to be questions asked of Scunthorpe United and Humberside Police
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 39
livosnose
May 23, 2021, 3:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,185
Gold Stars: 16
Every kid in GY knew he was a nonce and no one listened. Putting wintergreen on kids legs in June was a bit of an indication of what was going on !

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 39
FishOutOfWater
May 23, 2021, 6:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
How anyone can x the above statements that condemn this paedophile and such disgusting acts of abuse need to take a look at themselves.

What he did is sickening and no way can anyone condone his actions  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 39
Sandford1981
May 23, 2021, 8:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
How anyone can x the above statements that condemn this paedophile and such disgusting acts of abuse need to take a look at themselves.

What he did is sickening and no way can anyone condone his actions  

You are working on a gross misconception here. I’d imagine the red crosses are to do with the post calling for an apology from GTFC when it appears there is no requirement for one.

I would imagine like you and I, the people in question are disgusted by the man and his criminality.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 39
SDUTM
May 23, 2021, 8:39pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +179
Gold Stars: 2
I never stated that the club had anything to apologise for just surprised when as the statement said he worked for the club, that the club made no response. At the end of the day it’s not about admission of any wrong doing, it’s more about sharing in the horror of what Broome did and offering their support for survivors.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 39
Heswall Mariner
May 23, 2021, 8:53pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +594
Gold Stars: 30
As an exile I know nothing about this guy - please enlighten me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 39
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 23, 2021, 9:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
As an exile I know nothing about this guy - please enlighten me.

You are better off not knowing.

I would imagine there are a number of posters who have come into contact with him over the years in local football. Embarrassing now that so many local people “knew the rumours” but kept quiet. According to the Sunday Mirror the Lincs FA too should have done something after his first caution but didn’t. In fact almost the opposite just like Humberside Police. I know things are much tighter nowadays but even in the 1990s this was surely out of order and it looks like it gave the green light to any club wanting him to coach.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 39
aldi_01
May 23, 2021, 9:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473

I would imagine there are a number of posters who have come into contact with him over the years in local football. Embarrassing now that so many local people “knew the rumours” but kept quiet. According to the Sunday Mirror the Lincs FA too should have done something after his first caution but didn’t. In fact almost the opposite just like Humberside Police. I know things are much tighter nowadays but even in the 1990s this was surely out of order and it looks like it gave the green light to any club wanting him to coach.

Lincs FA do something? Don’t be daft, Lincs FA are as pointless as the actual FA...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 39
Poojah
May 23, 2021, 9:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,879
Gold Stars: 1,523

I would imagine there are a number of posters who have come into contact with him over the years in local football. According to the Sunday Mirror the Lincs FA should have done something after his first caution but didn’t. In fact almost the opposite just like Humberside Police. I know things are much tighter nowadays but even in the 1990s this was surely out of order and gave the green light to any club wanting him to coach.

I briefly and indirectly played under him at Humbertherm in the late 90's. It was widely known then that he was 'a bit noncey'; I guess this was still an era when such a thing was considered a bit of a quirk of character rather than something that should prevent a bloke from spending the bulk of his spare time with groups of young boys.

Big Scunthorpe fan, I recall.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 39
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Geoff Broome

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.