Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC training ground location?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 283 Guests

GTFC training ground location?
Cheapside
Beggining of M180 Doncaster area
Off motorway coming in to Grimsby
Elsewhere in local area
Elsewhere
Don't care
  View Results 145 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

GTFC training ground location?

This thread currently has 7,187 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
AdamHaddock
April 16, 2021, 11:15am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,841
Gold Stars: 26
Bull fort

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 35
DB
April 16, 2021, 11:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.38
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from realist
I wonder if my employer will move my workplace a bit closer to my home?

This subject is a load of tosh. Grimsby is grimsby. Not some convenient location on the A180.  All the talk is about community stadiums, team part of the community etc. Well the players have to be part of it too. Travel or move to grimsby or buggar off elsewhere

Just guessing but I think that's what a lot of Hurst's targeted players did in the January transfer window. We were left with 2nd/3rd choices or anybody that would come.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 35
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 16, 2021, 12:49pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,319
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Bull fort

I understand that there's a potential problem with keeping the pitches drained.....

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 35
promotion plaice
April 16, 2021, 1:05pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Bull fort

Holloway's preferred location, allegedly.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 35
aldi_01
April 16, 2021, 1:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from promotion plaice

Holloway's preferred location, allegedly.

Surely with Hollowheads penchant for darts, Alexandra Palace would have been a good option...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 35
Madeleymariner
April 16, 2021, 2:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 51
Needs to be near Kirmington quite a quick trip from M180 and our superstars can fly in to training when were in the premiership.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 35
diehardmariner
April 16, 2021, 2:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from malkamalka
The "easy access" options (A180) also allows for ease of departure. Where would players be living if they were coming across the motorway to train? What about those players who decide to move to Louth for example? They could have further to travel than someone who decides to live in Scunthorpe (?), Lincoln, Doncaster or Sheffield.

If the new owners are proposing this new era that incorporates sustainability towards the club, employees, supporters, community, etc., then surely a Community Stadium should include on site training facilities. It's not a general thing that's done, but I think a location closer to, rather than farther away from the stadium whould show a commitment to the new philosophy of community driven.

I think it's probably a small percentage of players who are going to move here (permanently) and set up camp in Louth.  We're certainly more likely to sign players living in Sheffield, Leeds etc. than Boston and Saltfleet.

Unfortunately we have to be realistic and accept that in the greater scheme of things, the days at our level of players setting up home here are decreasing rapidly.  I think the McKeown, Pearson, Disley era is probably the last of players who did that.  

Personally think we probably need to look around the Barnetby area.  Direct access from 3 directions (A15 North and South plus the M180).   Probably a 30 minute difference from someone travelling from say Sheffield to there as opposed to Cheapside but 30 minutes each way, 5 times a week soon adds up.

Could understand the idea of one Doncaster way on but just feel that's maybe a little too far.  Barnetby area is still, in my mind, GTFC territory.  
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 35
toontown
April 16, 2021, 2:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from diehardmariner

I think it's probably a small percentage of players who are going to move here (permanently) and set up camp in Louth.  We're certainly more likely to sign players living in Sheffield, Leeds etc. than Boston and Saltfleet.

Unfortunately we have to be realistic and accept that in the greater scheme of things, the days at our level of players setting up home here are decreasing rapidly.  I think the McKeown, Pearson, Disley era is probably the last of players who did that.  

Personally think we probably need to look around the Barnetby area.  Direct access from 3 directions (A15 North and South plus the M180).   Probably a 30 minute difference from someone travelling from say Sheffield to there as opposed to Cheapside but 30 minutes each way, 5 times a week soon adds up.

Could understand the idea of one Doncaster way on but just feel that's maybe a little too far.  Barnetby area is still, in my mind, GTFC territory.  

Agree with this
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 35
nightrider
April 16, 2021, 2:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
If we were to move from grimsby It should only be if we were to share a training complex with another club/s
That way we get premiership standard training facilities.
Big accommodation type complex. Indoor pitch the lot. It would work quite well. Not as if we couldn't still train in grimsby on the red wreck. Or the beach, old school

- mind you at this rate e'd be better off travelling 90mile up the road to borrow Leicesters new one  

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 35
Mariner93er
April 16, 2021, 2:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
If it helps attract better players, I couldn’t care less where our training ground is. It’s not like we’re looking to move our stadium too
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC training ground location?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.