Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stick or twist?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 253 Guests

Stick or twist?

This thread currently has 3,693 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Withnail
April 5, 2021, 8:03am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
If you were Hurst would you go with the same 11 from Saturday, or mix it up? I imagine some may be knackered, or at least not firing on all cylinders having playing Saturday, not least Coke, who picked up a head injury.

One option would be to start with Macca, the same back four, but go with Rose, Spokes, Williams, Morais and Scannell across midfield (if all fit), with LJL up top on his own. Tell the midfield to run their arses off for 45 minutes, knowing they're only playing half a game, then sub them all off at half time (or thereabouts) and play the second half with the team that started against Salford (if all fit).

I'm not suggesting this is what Hurst should do, just that it's an option.

For what's its worth, I'd love to see the XI that started against Salford kick off today, providing they're all still fresh. UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Hagrid
April 5, 2021, 8:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,518
Gold Stars: 544
Morais isnt fit, scannell is just pointless

I expect a couple of changes
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
Davec
April 5, 2021, 8:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from Hagrid

Yeah there's absolutely no chance of Scannell playing a part, I would be surprised if we ever see him again tbh, despite being under contract I fully expect to see him depart in the summer, he isn't a Hurst type of player at all.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
Withnail
April 5, 2021, 8:28am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

I think you're probably right about Scannell unfortunately. He's a waste man.

Didn't realise Morais is still injured.

I really hope we can get one over Cheltenham today, be it through a fortuitous winning goal, a controversial sending off, a winning goal against the run of play in a dour game, a tactical masterclass from Hurst, or flowing champagne football for 90 minutes. Any of the above will do.

The first two options would be particularly pleasing though as it would feel like divine retribution.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
GollyGTFC
April 5, 2021, 8:30am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,066
Gold Stars: 359
Why make changes for the sake of making changes? We've played twice a week for weeks on end and the players have coped. The players should be fresher today than in recent weeks as we had 6 days between our previous 2 matches (our longest gap for weeks and weeks) and there's 5 days until we play again with no midweek game following that.

However, Cheltenham play 3 at the back so Hurst might opt for 4-3-3 like he did when we played Barrow who also use the 3-5-2 formation. Also worth considering is that both Lamy & Payne were completely spent at the end of the Salford game- those are surely the 2 most likely to be rested/left out if Hurst does opt for changes.

My guess at the team...

McKEOWN
HENDRIE    HEWITT   MENAYESE  HABERGHAM
       MATETE     COKE     CLIFTON
  JOHN-LEWIS     HANSON       WILLIAMS

SUBS: BATTERSBY, WATERFALL, SPOKES, LAMY,
BENNETT, GREEN & PAYNE.

But we'll see won't we.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 20
crusty ole pie
April 5, 2021, 8:35am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,382
Gold Stars: 66
Think waterfall will be in 3 centre backs to try and stop that ridiculous long throw that makes almost any throw in in the Cheltenham end better than a corner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
ex-merseymariner
April 5, 2021, 9:05am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,403
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Think waterfall will be in 3 centre backs to try and stop that ridiculous long throw that makes almost any throw in in the Cheltenham end better than a corner.

I doubt Hurst would put waterfall in unless he has to through injuries. Also golly's back 4 is quite tall and lenny and hanson can drop back at set pieces.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
pizzzza
April 5, 2021, 9:09am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,721
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Withnail
If you were Hurst would you go with the same 11 from Saturday, or mix it up? I imagine some may be knackered, or at least not firing on all cylinders having playing Saturday, not least Coke, who picked up a head injury.

We played Friday not Saturday so this, playing Fri-Mon, is more or less the same as playing Sat-Tue.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
moosey_club
April 5, 2021, 9:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,320
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from Withnail

I think you're probably right about Scannell unfortunately. He's a waste man.

Didn't realise Morais is still injured.

I really hope we can get one over Cheltenham today, be it through a fortuitous winning goal, a controversial sending off, a winning goal against the run of play in a dour game, a tactical masterclass from Hurst, or flowing champagne football for 90 minutes. Any of the above will do.

The first two options would be particularly pleasing though as it would feel like divine retribution.

As its Cheltenham I would be very happy with a completely unjust victory in extremely controversial circumstances that effects them so badly they subsequently fall away over the coming weeks.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
oochiad
April 5, 2021, 10:05am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
Although we didnt lose Moosey, you mean like a ref we had on friday gifting us a goal whilst disallowing one for them and countless other bad game changing decisions......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
lukeo
April 5, 2021, 10:18am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,406
Gold Stars: 149
I'd like to see something different in the front 3... The shop, Hanson and one other, Williams probably.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
ginnywings
April 5, 2021, 10:21am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
As seems to be the norm whenever we play, it's a blustery day again. Can't imagine there will be anything other than a war of attrition. Neither side will be playing flowing football and the ball will be in the air a lot. Whoever tames the ball long enough to create chances will prevail, and sadly I think that will probably be Cheltenham, who are the ultimate spoilers. They are on a run of LWLWLW but Town are great at breaking sequences to our disadvantage.

Can't see why fitness levels will affect us any more than any other side, who have all had the same schedule over the past few weeks.

Easter is often a defining time in the league for promotion and relegation. After today, we could be well in the mix or cut adrift. Whatever happens, we could do with Colchester losing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
quebec38
April 5, 2021, 10:30am
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Morais in for Payne and keep the rest the same barring injuries.

Imagine being Cheltenham turning up in Cleehorpes today to face Hurst’s new look Grimsby side - one of the toughest to beat in the competition.

Confident of 3 points today. UTM.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
ginnywings
April 5, 2021, 10:43am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from quebec38
Morais in for Payne and keep the rest the same barring injuries.

Imagine being Cheltenham turning up in Cleehorpes today to face Hurst’s new look Grimsby side - one of the toughest to beat in the competition.

Confident of 3 points today. UTM.

Think Morais is still injured.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
moosey_club
April 5, 2021, 10:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,320
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from oochiad
Although we didnt lose Moosey, you mean like a ref we had on friday gifting us a goal whilst disallowing one for them and countless other bad game changing decisions......

Oh no....

Much worse.....

Like a compilation......Now that's what I call poor refereeing....

Cardiff 2006 ..Parkinson not getting a penalty, quite apt for today's opponents...

Neilson getting sent off at Gateshead.....

Bristol keeper not getting sent off at Wembley....

Cunnington not getting a pen against Bolton  (?)  .

Ponds handball denying  Lincoln a goal .....

Challinor not getting sent off......

And to top it off a Wilkinson at Everton goal scoring with our only effort on goal in the last minutes.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
fishcake63
April 5, 2021, 11:00am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Caught highlights of them beating tranmere , basically tranmere couldn't cope with the physical parts think they got 3 goals with long throw into box we must be able to combat this weapon , macca needs to brave centre halfs need to be dominant utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
GollyGTFC
April 5, 2021, 11:36am

Whiskey Drinker

You don't need an extra centre-back for throw-ins. You just need Hanson to go back and defend. It's not like he can take a quick long throw. He's a centre-back and not one of their wing-backs.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 20
GollyGTFC
April 5, 2021, 11:40am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

Cardiff 2006 ..Parkinson not getting a penalty, quite apt for today's opponents...

The next game that Paul Taylor refereed us was away at Wycombe the following season.

I "politely" voiced my opinion about him failing to give us that penalty in the play-off Final as he ran past warming up. He turned towards me and said "Yes, it should have been. Sorry."

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 20
HertsGTFC
April 5, 2021, 11:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
As long as the players selected do the best they can I’m not that bothered to be honest.

For me,

Macca & the back 4 that finished Saturday’s game.

The 4 in midfield Clifton, Coke, Matette. If Fil isn’t fit I’d probably give Lamy another go especially if the strikers are Hanson & Lenny.

Let’s see, this does feel like another “must win” rather than draw.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
Withnail
April 5, 2021, 1:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from pizzzza

We played Friday not Saturday so this, playing Fri-Mon, is more or less the same as playing Sat-Tue.

Good point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
crusty ole pie
April 5, 2021, 3:20pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,382
Gold Stars: 66

I know nothing lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stick or twist?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.