8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
TwoLeftFeet
March 30, 2021, 4:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
Out of interest and I keep hearing that Hurst doesn't play the youngsters which youngsters didn't he bring thru last time he was here that you thought he should have given a chance too.

Every season apart from this year obviously but I always take in a few youth team and reserve games and I honestly can't remember anyone that I felt was unlucky not to make the first team during his last spell.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 70
Hagrid
March 30, 2021, 4:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,517
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from cannylad68
I stated on here weeks ago that the youth players should start to look elsewhere, and that includes Mattie Pollock, under Paul Hurst. No snide remarks about Mattie Pollock please.
Paul Hurst has never had faith in youngsters.
Paul Hurst should start to look at his own recent signings to release, Payne, JLL, Habergham.
I know this won't be well received by the Paul Hurst lovers, but I doubt any of them have witnessed the good times, and I don't mean Non League play offs.

really....

The youngsters ARENT Good enough
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 70
ska face
March 30, 2021, 4:39pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852
Plenty of people living in the past thinking we can turn out a load more Drinkells, Moores, Fords & Wilkinsons. The game has moved on, we’re about to become a non-league side and haven’t finished higher than 4th in League 2 for fifteen years.

Any youngster with even the chance of being worth a few quid is snapped up and hoarded in a Premiership/Championship academy.  At our position in the food chain, we’ve done well to pick up some decent cast-offs from this level (Pollock, Bennett).

Probably the same people who want the players running up & down the beach, or stood on the fish docks at 4am every morning.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 70
TownSNAFU5
March 30, 2021, 5:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
The Celtic story is true incredibly,  I even watched their epic 1967 final.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 70
moosey_club
March 30, 2021, 6:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,317
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from ska face
Plenty of people living in the past thinking we can turn out a load more Drinkells, Moores, Fords & Wilkinsons. The game has moved on, we’re about to become a non-league side and haven’t finished higher than 4th in League 2 for fifteen years.

Any youngster with even the chance of being worth a few quid is snapped up and hoarded in a Premiership/Championship academy.  At our position in the food chain, we’ve done well to pick up some decent cast-offs from this level (Pollock, Bennett).

Probably the same people who want the players running up & down the beach, or stood on the fish docks at 4am every morning.

Just once  a week will do for me...............

.although if we sink much lower the players might have part time jobs down there and train in the evenings

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 70
louth_in_the_south
March 30, 2021, 6:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,712
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from ska face

Unfortunately for clubs like us this is the harsh reality. While we are bottom feeders kids and their parents will never choose gtfc over the lure of bigger and more lucrative opportunities.
Brentford recognised this a few years back and scrapped their youth set up for a more efficient method of picking up rejects with potential from the big club academies and developing them . Maybe Neil Woods would be better employed going down this route and maximising his talents with young players .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 70
Rick12
March 30, 2021, 7:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

rejects with potential from the big club academies and developing them .
When you see the likes of the academy's like Barcelona and Real Madrid you realise that youngsters there are very lucky in being developed the way they are. At La Masia Barcelona's youth academy everything is structured from how long they train, what they eat to even how much time they have to spend on line. All this coupled with excellent coaching faculties and the Barcelona way grounded for a long time in the Johan Cruyff way of total football helps shape players for the best. Traditional values are also taught eg integrity and what it means to be a model citizen in wearing the shirt with pride. The likes of Andres Iniesta credit their phenomenal success in the game to the way they were reared as players there. Hence had Iniesta been at a lower league club where the money isnt there and youth players live in digs /less control over what they eat/ drinking habits can go astray chances are he wouldn't have been the player he became.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 70
arryarryarry
March 30, 2021, 7:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Hagrid

really....

The youngsters ARENT Good enough

Neither are most of the frigging 1st team squad.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 70
lew chaterleys lover
March 30, 2021, 7:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

Unfortunately for clubs like us this is the harsh reality. While we are bottom feeders kids and their parents will never choose gtfc over the lure of bigger and more lucrative opportunities.
Brentford recognised this a few years back and scrapped their youth set up for a more efficient method of picking up rejects with potential from the big club academies and developing them . Maybe Neil Woods would be better employed going down this route and maximising his talents with young players .

That is the route I would go down.

A pitiful few players make the grade after years of nurturing in the various age groups, and the only age groups that really matter is when they are ready for the first team.

Then you have the managerial problem; each manager has his own ideas on what makes a player. Hurst did not fancy many of what Holloway left him, and the same applies to youngsters - different managers want different attributes so years of hard work often goes out of the window as managers look elsewhere for their type of player.

When a really talented lad does come along, he is snapped up for nowt, or next to nowt dependent on the age group, so what is the point?

To keep the local youngsters interested in the Mariners I would concentrate on soccer schools for fun, but leave the signing of youngsters to a later age group of those released by clubs higher up the pyramid and when they are nearer first-team age.

It will be interesting to see what model the new owners pursue; if they continue with the current set up or change to a Brentford type model. Whichever way they go, I am sure they will be astute enough to get the maximum from it.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 70
Tommy
March 30, 2021, 8:22pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
I'm not anti-Hurst but have been critical of him so far in his current reign.

However, when talking about young players, it must be pointed out in his defence that there wasn't the same quality coming through the Academy in his previous spell as there is now.

And if what someone posted about him giving some young players a chance at Ipswich (we know at least he got El Mizouni involved with their 1st team), maybe he's not as averse to giving youth a chance as some might think. Time will tell.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst starts his clear-out

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.