Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 249 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 8,942 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Madeleymariner
March 28, 2021, 10:57am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 51
People talk about Hanson winning flick ons, which is all well and good but unless they are controlled and in the general direction of a team mate (which 9 out of ten aren't) then its pointless and we need another idea other than launching it the length of the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 51
DB
March 28, 2021, 10:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
It is to be expected, at any level of the game, that players will have poor performances and dips in form and you hope that your teammates are playing well enough to cover these times. Trouble is we have not really played well for such a long period of time and every point is the result of 100% commitment and no real quality.

It’s a season that seems cursed with poor decision making and a raft of injuries that have severely restricted our selection options and to lose wide players like Wright and Morais at this important stage of the season is another blow plus we have no Adams yesterday nor the lad from Ipswich so this reduced our energy in midfield.

Like others you do get frustrated at times with PH’s reluctance to change tactics and perhaps Lamy’s pace may have been a good option second half. Disappointed that Scannell and Bennett don’t appear alternative options during this run in as they certainly have some ability and you would have hoped could have made a valuable contribution at this time.

A win yesterday would have given us some real momentum and hope but in reality the lack of goals and lack of goal scoring opportunities will be the factor that sends us down although I have a sneaky feeling we may well win at Salford next Friday.

This has been the problem for the last 37 games. Staying up. Going down.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 51
HertsGTFC
March 28, 2021, 11:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,018
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Madeleymariner
People talk about Hanson winning flick ons, which is all well and good but unless they are controlled and in the general direction of a team mate (which 9 out of ten aren't) then its pointless and we need another idea other than launching it the length of the pitch.

In a 3 it’s ineffective as the other 2 offensive players don’t get close enough to him, I know he scored yesterday but he’s been bang average at best since he became available.

Ultimately though the problem we’ve had for ages is no attacking mid fielder in behind the strikers, I sense Williams could do this but he’s blown warm and cold since he arrived.

I have never know a football team let alone a Town side get so little possession in the opposing team’s penalty area.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 51
forza ivano
March 28, 2021, 11:32am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,286
Gold Stars: 266
some good points in the thread.
Would add that Spokes may also be finding it hard mentally - i know from my very limited football 'career' that i was absolutely knackered, both mentally and physically, after we played against a good side with much better quality players.It was the need for constant, 100% concentration, so to do that with the added pressure of relegation in a poor side, must be hard.
Clifton's use of his left foot seems to be improving game upon game. He started out by hardly using his left at all (anyone remember the game where Robbie Stockdale had to play left back? Was very funny as he'd never kicked the ball with his left foot in his life!), but by yesterday he was using his left quite often.
Williams has definitely looked better in the cameos he's been given, but you do get the feeling that like Spokes or Jackson , if he starts he'll be ineffective. Surely though, he's got to be given a chance at some stage, coz that little run when he beat 3 men shows he has got the quality we need.
Can understand why Hurst plays it as he does - we don't have the creativity or pace so he tries to keep us in the game until 60/70 minutes and then puts people like Jackson and Williams on to try and go for it at that point. i think he senses that if we concede early then generally we won't be coming back, as we just don't have the creativity to do it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 51
DB
March 28, 2021, 11:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from forza ivano
some good points in the thread.
Would add that Spokes may also be finding it hard mentally - i know from my very limited football 'career' that i was absolutely knackered, both mentally and physically, after we played against a good side with much better quality players.It was the need for constant, 100% concentration, so to do that with the added pressure of relegation in a poor side, must be hard.
Clifton's use of his left foot seems to be improving game upon game. He started out by hardly using his left at all (anyone remember the game where Robbie Stockdale had to play left back? Was very funny as he'd never kicked the ball with his left foot in his life!), but by yesterday he was using his left quite often.
Williams has definitely looked better in the cameos he's been given, but you do get the feeling that like Spokes or Jackson , if he starts he'll be ineffective. Surely though, he's got to be given a chance at some stage, coz that little run when he beat 3 men shows he has got the quality we need.
Can understand why Hurst plays it as he does - we don't have the creativity or pace so he tries to keep us in the game until 60/70 minutes and then puts people like Jackson and Williams on to try and go for it at that point. i think he senses that if we concede early then generally we won't be coming back, as we just don't have the creativity to do it

Your earlier post summed it up brilliantly "Just weren't at the races today".  I like your above positivity but cannot see it helping us for the last 9 games.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 51
March 28, 2021, 11:42am
Guest User
Quoted from Hagrid
2 dropped. Not 1 gained

Barrow and Colchester both dropping points and a good win for Southend. We were poor today no doubt, players looked lethargic and our passing was awful.
I dont blame hurst 4-3-3 sticking with the same team but it didnt work today, Payne just doesnt look bothered, i’d rather go with Williams or Lamy out there, Hanson won near enough everything today but theres was never anyone getting on his flick ons.
Lenny was lenny and fell over the ball when we had a chance.
Hendrie turned in as bad a performance as i can remember from him.
Yes its still do-able but i felt today had to be 3 points, especially with our run-in which is horrendous.

Wrong, we gained a point on Barrow and Colchester.

Reply: 45 - 51
KingstonMariner
March 28, 2021, 12:04pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Bright spot for me in an otherwise gloomy game was Hewitt. Brings a calmness to proceedings and can pick out a nice pass. Clifton has definitely improved in that left back role.

The players looked like they were treading water for a lot if the game. Hope they get a good rest before the next one.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 51
Marinerdeano
March 28, 2021, 12:08pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
It's a good thing that we have no Tuesday game this week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 51
Hagrid
March 28, 2021, 12:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,524
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from HertsGTFC

In a 3 it’s ineffective as the other 2 offensive players don’t get close enough to him, I know he scored yesterday but he’s been bang average at best since he became available.

Ultimately though the problem we’ve had for ages is no attacking mid fielder in behind the strikers, I sense Williams could do this but he’s blown warm and cold since he arrived.

I have never know a football team let alone a Town side get so little possession in the opposing team’s penalty area.

Disagree with the bit about Hanson herts. Think he was excellent yesterday just noone ever gambles on his flick ons. And we never put a good ball into him
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 51
lee65
March 28, 2021, 12:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Bright spot for me in an otherwise gloomy game was Hewitt. Brings a calmness to proceedings and can pick out a nice pass. Clifton has definitely improved in that left back role.

The players looked like they were treading water for a lot if the game. Hope they get a good rest before the next one.

With Hewitt its really showing now what a good level of fitness he has, and he seems to stay the pace well every game.
I remember Holloway commenting on what great shape he was in when the players came back in last summer, perhaps he put more work in during the closed season than some?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.