5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
March 17, 2021, 11:47pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Well that's a point I would taken before the game.

Three games unbeaten and only one goal conceded.

Macca has kept two clean sheets in two games.

All plus points so a decent night.

If we can go unbeaten in the next three games I think we will have a chance.

Port Vale and Colchester can be dragged into the fight so it's not just Barrow we have to overtake.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 41
nightrider
March 18, 2021, 12:25am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
I said it a couple of weeks ago, where are the goals coming from.
Meaning in basic terms, you can't play lenny and Hanson. In fact, you can't play Hanson full stop.
Baring in mind the squad we have and how much I think of Hewitt, len is the first name on the team sheet.
It should have been len and Payne 3games ago, but baring in mind the manager is still learning, I'll let him off. Payne was crap, but then he would be playing with Hanson. Stick him with lenny is a different matter.
If there was a way of getting Hanson to drop deeper, len further up with somebody else running past Hanson, that might work. As it is, it won't. Ever. We might get the odd goal, but it's not going to be consistent. He must have known this months ago

As for lens miss, we knew full well he couldnt shoot 5year ago. So unless he's been attending the Chris doig school of shooting, nothing would have changed. And that's OK. It's upto the other striker and god forbid some of the others to weigh in with afew.

We need a new right back next season. 100%. We also need a replacement for hanson
Matete I'd imagine might want to venture back towards London? I don't buy the bit about wanting to win a place at Fleetwood. That ships sailed I think. Surely we could offer what he's getting at Fleetwood, or maybe not

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 41
arryarryarry
March 18, 2021, 1:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,052
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from nightrider
I said it a couple of weeks ago, where are the goals coming from.
Meaning in basic terms, you can't play lenny and Hanson. In fact, you can't play Hanson full stop.
Baring in mind the squad we have and how much I think of Hewitt, len is the first name on the team sheet.
It should have been len and Payne 3games ago, but baring in mind the manager is still learning, I'll let him off. Payne was crap, but then he would be playing with Hanson. Stick him with lenny is a different matter.
If there was a way of getting Hanson to drop deeper, len further up with somebody else running past Hanson, that might work. As it is, it won't. Ever. We might get the odd goal, but it's not going to be consistent. He must have known this months ago

As for lens miss, we knew full well he couldnt shoot 5year ago. So unless he's been attending the Chris doig school of shooting, nothing would have changed. And that's OK. It's upto the other striker and god forbid some of the others to weigh in with afew.

We need a new right back next season. 100%. We also need a replacement for hanson
Matete I'd imagine might want to venture back towards London? I don't buy the bit about wanting to win a place at Fleetwood. That ships sailed I think. Surely we could offer what he's getting at Fleetwood, or maybe not

2006–2010     Lincoln City                 72             ( 8 )
2010–2013     Bury                             83            ( 9)
2013–2015     Grimsby Town             92            (23)
2015–2017     Newport County           30          ( 3)
2017–2020     Shrewsbury Town        53             ( 3)
2020–2021     Hereford                     17            (12)
2021–2021     Grimsby Town               6             ( 1)

LJL is never going to be a prolific scorer.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 41
pontoonlew
March 18, 2021, 7:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from arryarryarry

2006–2010     Lincoln City                 72             ( 8 )
2010–2013     Bury                             83            ( 9)
2013–2015     Grimsby Town             92            (23)
2015–2017     Newport County           30          ( 3)
2017–2020     Shrewsbury Town        53             ( 3)
2020–2021     Hereford                     17            (12)
2021–2021     Grimsby Town               6             ( 1)

LJL is never going to be a prolific scorer.

So why on earth did we pay a fee for him? Knowing that we needed goals.

All this garbage about ‘he’s not here to score goals’ doesn’t wash either, he put them in in NLN which unfortunately appears to be his level
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 41
DB
March 18, 2021, 7:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from pontoonlew

All this garbage about ‘he’s not here to score goals’ doesn’t wash either, he put them in in NLN which unfortunately appears to be his level

And that's where might be heading!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 41
DB
March 18, 2021, 7:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
It's the morning after and I feel conned for paying out 10 quid again. What I saw was just a repeat of a 2 team town, poor one half and slightly better the other.

Kids use to say it's a YMCA dinner, yesterdays muck cooked again.

We have a YMCA team. YESTERDAYS MEN CRAPPY AGAIN.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 41
A Brace Of Tees
March 18, 2021, 12:08pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +706
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from pontoonlew

And where exactly might we find a decent goal-scorer who wants to play for a team bottom of the 4th division? In a fantasy world I suppose we might attract the equivalent of Liam Hearn, Omar Bogle or Padraig Amond, but in this rather annoying real world we live in, that my friend just ain't gonna happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 41
TownSNAFU5
March 18, 2021, 12:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
It will be going on for 20 years now since we had a strong midfield.  The Board and numerous managers have failed to address these weaknesses.  Any team failure starts with a weak midfield.

The cause is lack of funding, poor choice in managers, managers making poor recruitment decision from the financial resources available.  Etc. Etc.  Not a lack of support from the fans.

We are where we are unfortunately.  Probably where we deserve to be.  All very very sad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 41
arryarryarry
March 18, 2021, 12:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,052
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from moosey_club
Back four looked solid again after a tricky start and extended pressure first half , midfield duo compliment each other well and are forming a good partnership/ understanding even tonight were they were outnumbered they didnt get slaughtered , Lamy is growing in confidence, him and Clifton actually playing well together,

our problem is the quality around their box , sure people will point at LJL's miss, rightly so as it was a poor effort in reality.... but that was the only through pass into a strikers feet in the game , probably the first through ball of that type since Payne got his debut goal.  There are very few strikers...in fact there are none, that take every chance they get in a game and if you are only getting one chance per game then the odds are stacked.

For our improved second half there wasnt any significant increase in final quality , Lamy had plenty of crossing opportunities and failed with every one, every free kick we took we failed to create danger, every corner was poor, every "long" throw poor.  Not a single cross into the box for Hanson to get at.

Jackson certainly had a lively cameo, he is the unfinished article but he wants to get forward and is alive, some nice touches and he doesnt stand and admire them either, plays it and spins off.

An improvement of sorts but without quality set pieces, without that ruthless finisher we will need to create 5-6 good chances a game to stand a chance of scoring even one.  

Just about spot on summary for me.

I thought Tranmere looked quite poor, possibly after Sunday's game I don't know or perhaps they rested a few players but there was another chance of getting three points missed.

Private Message
Reply: 38 - 41
pontoonlew
March 18, 2021, 4:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from A Brace Of Tees

And where exactly might we find a decent goal-scorer who wants to play for a team bottom of the 4th division? In a fantasy world I suppose we might attract the equivalent of Liam Hearn, Omar Bogle or Padraig Amond, but in this rather annoying real world we live in, that my friend just ain't gonna happen.

As I said when LJL signed, nobody is asking for that either. A happy medium would be nice (and is attainable). We went with the nostalgia option in which we knew what we were getting but kidded ourselves anyway.

I don’t doubt what LJL adds, but it’s not what we needed for the scrap IMO
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back ..from the kitchen

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.