2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Withnail
March 17, 2021, 11:46am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
I'm no doubt going to get hammered on here for even suggesting this but desperate times call for desperate action...so here we go.

Realistically we're going to need to go on a winning streak to stand any chance at all of avoiding the drop. And to do that we need to score more than we concede - which is stating the bleeding obvious - but something we've struggle to do nonetheless.

So this leads me to two questions.

Question 1. Do you think that one marquee signing of a free agent who is fit and raring to go might enable us to achieve this? I'm thinking someone who ordinarily would be completed out of our league...now don't laugh...I'm thinking someone like Ravel Morrison or Daniel Sturridge. I appreciate the former is flaky and the latter injury prone, but these are just examples, so go with it.

Question 2. If we were able to recruit an attacking midfielder, or striker of this ilk, on a temporary basis until the end of the season, do you think we should offer the player, say £250k wages if he plays every game until the end of the season and an additional £250k bonus if we stay up?

It sounds very far fetched admittedly but if there was someone who could single handedly get us out of this mess it has to be worth one last throw of the dice doesn't it?

We stand to lose a hell of a lot more than half a mill if we go down and there's not exactly a long list of clubs waiting to sign free agents so it would put them back in the shop window come the summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Jarmo.Is.God
March 17, 2021, 12:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Let's get Rafa Benitez in as well at the same time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
Sconeboy
March 17, 2021, 12:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 2
Stick Ronaldo up top in this team and he's not getting us out of trouble!!

<*(((((>< G T F C ><(((((*>
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
DB
March 17, 2021, 12:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Withnail
I'm no doubt going to get hammered on here for even suggesting this but desperate times call for desperate action...so here we go.

Realistically we're going to need to go on a winning streak to stand any chance at all of avoiding the drop. And to do that we need to score more than we concede - which is stating the bleeding obvious - but something we've struggle to do nonetheless.

Question 1. Do you think that one marquee signing of a free agent who is fit and raring to go might enable us to achieve this? I'm thinking someone who ordinarily would be completed out of our league...now don't laugh...I'm thinking someone like Ravel Morrison or Daniel Sturridge. I appreciate the former is flaky and the latter injury prone, but these are just examples, so go with it.

Question 2. If we were able to recruit an attacking midfielder, or striker of this ilk, on a temporary basis until the end of the season, do you think we should offer the player, say £250k wages if he plays every game until the end of the season and an additional £250k bonus if we stay up?

It sounds very far fetched admittedly but if there was someone who could single handedly get us out of this mess it has to be worth one last throw of the dice doesn't it?

We stand to lose a hell of a lot more than half a mill if we go down and there's not exactly a long list of clubs waiting to sign free agents so it would put them back in the shop window come the summer.

Firstly it's not far fetched, but I suggested some mercenaries weeks ago and got slaughtered. IMO it's now too late but it's worth a try.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
MuddyWaters
March 17, 2021, 12:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from DB

Firstly it's not far fetched, but I suggested some mercenaries weeks ago and got slaughtered. IMO it's now too late but it's worth a try.

Well is it now too late or worth a try? You can't have it both ways!

FWIW it's too late!
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
Jarmo.Is.God
March 17, 2021, 12:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from Sconeboy
Stick Ronaldo up top in this team and he's not getting us out of trouble!!

Correct.

Messi on the other hand... he would get us into the play-offs still  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
DB
March 17, 2021, 1:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Well is it now too late or worth a try? You can't have it both ways!

FWIW it's too late!

Too late, save the cash.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
Sandford1981
March 17, 2021, 1:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Withnail

Can I have some of what you’re on please?

Whilst I appreciate the sentiment as such, to say it’s far fetched is putting it mildly. Granted it takes our minds off our current plight thinking about players we have zero chance of signing but this is pure fantasy stuff.

Look what we have been reduced to! 😂

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
RonMariner
March 17, 2021, 1:49pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,862
Gold Stars: 230
Given how much money you lose in non league, it would be worth a shot. But you need more than one player. We could sigh Messi and he would be standing alone up front waiting for some non existent service from midfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
Withnail
March 17, 2021, 1:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Sandford1981

Can I have some of what you’re on please?

Whilst I appreciate the sentiment as such, to say it’s far fetched is putting it mildly. Granted it takes our minds off our current plight thinking about players we have zero chance of signing but this is pure fantasy stuff.

Look what we have been reduced to! 😂

Yeah I think it's maybe time for me to wake up, smell the coffee and accept the reality that we're down.

I actually had done so after Barrow won on Tuesday but can't help thinking there must be some way to escape.

I think it is too late now but money talks so we undoubtedly could have spent our way out of trouble in January with 3-4 really decent signings, as others have mentioned.

With Ravel Morrison, Championship teams like Middlesbrough have had him on loan and didn't fancy him so the only way is down for him. So with respect, he's not exactly dining at European football's top table, or indeed the top 2 tiers of English football's table.

But yeah, he's not short of a bob or two so he would only come to a sinking ship like us if he needs cash fast for whatever reason; or has a real desire to play football and put himself back in the shop window.  

I think the issue was/is that no one is at the wheel so we've been left to drift towards the rocks. New owners can't finance transfers and outgoing board aren't going to spend big if they're not here next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
Sandford1981
March 17, 2021, 2:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Withnail

Yeah I think it's maybe time for me to wake up, smell the coffee and accept the reality that we're down.

I actually had done so after Barrow won on Tuesday but can't help thinking there must be some way to escape.

I think it is too late now but money talks so we undoubtedly could have spent our way out of trouble in January with 3-4 really decent signings, as others have mentioned.

With Ravel Morrison, Championship teams like Middlesbrough have had him on loan and didn't fancy him so the only way is down for him. So with respect, he's not exactly dining at European football's top table, or indeed the top 2 tiers of English football's table.

But yeah, he's not short of a bob or two so he would only come to a sinking ship like us if he needs cash fast for whatever reason; or has a real desire to play football and put himself back in the shop window.  

I think the issue was/is that no one is at the wheel so we've been left to drift towards the rocks. New owners can't finance transfers and outgoing board aren't going to spend big if they're not here next season.

It’s the hope that kills you isn’t it! I live in a house with females so I’m never right anyway and would love to be wrong on this but it’s time to properly accept our fate.

January, was indeed the time to have spent some cash but it’s not only having the money but then persuading players worth their salt to come here when we’re on our way down to non league.

The case in point being the players we did get in terms of the standard we could attract even if more money was available.

Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
louth_in_the_south
March 17, 2021, 4:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,712
Gold Stars: 96
Proof that supporting GTFC can send someone insane ...

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
bawarmy
March 17, 2021, 6:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,021
Gold Stars: 33
People say Pep couldn’t even keep us up so my son tried it with him as manager on his football manager game. Same points as now, same amount of games to play and same fixture list. We finished 23rd!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
RexFannies
March 17, 2021, 7:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +517
Gold Stars: 5
Robbie Fowler?

The Only Way Is Up
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
RonMariner
March 17, 2021, 7:12pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,862
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from RexFannies
Robbie Fowler?

How we contact him with Millfields closed?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
immariner
March 17, 2021, 7:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 62
3 words: salary and cap. End thread.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
Sandford1981
March 17, 2021, 7:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from immariner
3 words: salary and cap. End thread.

I thought they had been withdrawn?

Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
RexFannies
March 17, 2021, 7:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +517
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from RonMariner

How we contact him with Millfields closed?

Through Newel......pubs are closed....oh well

The Only Way Is Up
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
TownSNAFU5
March 17, 2021, 7:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Ronaldo would get poor service so would not score.  We could afford him for 15 mins.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hypothetical question

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.