Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Anything from the EFL?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 283 Guests

Anything from the EFL?

This thread currently has 4,318 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
sutton mariner
March 16, 2021, 11:34am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +52 / -6
Approval: +1,135
Gold Stars: 49
I haven’t heard anything and am probably clutching at straws. But is anyone expecting any comment / change of normal stance from the EFL as to relegating teams into a league that is quite frankly copulated with teams not fulfilling fixtures / putting out Sunday league players? Think I heard they need to relegate teams into a ‘full and proper’ league or whatever the term is?

May have been covered, may be me hoping for anything to save us, but seems to be a lack of conversation about it?

I Make Movies #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mikey_345
March 16, 2021, 12:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 113
I’d expect there has to be something clarifying their position on it at some point.

Whether they do it now or later after the NL situation has developed I don’t know. Actually doing something about it is another question though.

Hopefully clubs like us are lobbying for an answer/clarity.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
pen penfras
March 16, 2021, 12:15pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from sutton mariner
I haven’t heard anything and am probably clutching at straws. But is anyone expecting any comment / change of normal stance from the EFL as to relegating teams into a league that is quite frankly copulated with teams not fulfilling fixtures / putting out Sunday league players? Think I heard they need to relegate teams into a ‘full and proper’ league or whatever the term is?

May have been covered, may be me hoping for anything to save us, but seems to be a lack of conversation about it?

They already said relegation as normal. I expect the bottom 2 teams to challenge this on those grounds, but there's no get out of jail free card yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
Mikey_345
March 16, 2021, 12:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

They already said relegation as normal. I expect the bottom 2 teams to challenge this on those grounds, but there's no get out of jail free card yet.

They haven’t said anything post changes to relegation from and teams not competing in that league.

Relegation to it is understandable if the season is completed and the league doesn’t lose its integrity. Which was the last EFL stance.

National League chairman on the other hand said recently he saw no reason to change but he would say that wouldn’t he. Was reported as fact but that’s only NL opinion/hope

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
pen penfras
March 16, 2021, 12:19pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Mikey_345

They haven’t said anything post changes to relegation from and teams not competing in that league.

Relegation to it is understandable if the season is completed and the league doesn’t lose its integrity. Which was the last EFL stance

And in the last 2 weeks, what has changed that would require an update? That league is in just as much a mess as it was when they made their statement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
Mikey_345
March 16, 2021, 12:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

And in the last 2 weeks, what has changed that would require an update? That league is in just as much a mess as it was when they made their statement.

When who made their statement? Haven’t seen EFL comment as yet.

NL chairman statement below is latest I can find and is an opinion not fact.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/football/56259583.amp

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
psgmariner
March 16, 2021, 12:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Wonder what will happen to Dover. Booted out or a big points deduction to get them relegated next season I guess.

Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
Mikey_345
March 16, 2021, 12:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from psgmariner
Wonder what will happen to Dover. Booted out or a big points deduction to get them relegated next season I guess.

Think any punishment they get will be challenged as NL rules actually say they cannot compete if insolvent, which they are.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
ginnywings
March 16, 2021, 12:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Stevenage got a reprieve last season. We won't be that lucky.

Anyone but Stevenage.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
DB
March 16, 2021, 1:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
If somebody surrounded a ref the EFL would speak. In context the survival of 2 league clubs to be relegated to a league, who break their own rules and that of the integrity of a football, appears to be petty and not relevant to comment on.

Whatever the chairman of the NL says he is bolstering his own ego to keep the league going, while maintaining the inept board decisions.  

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
GrimRob
March 16, 2021, 1:21pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,462
Gold Stars: 115
I can only see it being an issue if the NL have not played enough games to form a reasonable league table.  At the end of the day over 40+ games, the champion and play-off winner probably have a case to go up. Why would the EFL be especially bothered which 2 teams at the top of the NL replace the bottom 2 in League Two? All the teams who look like they might be promoted appear to be "proper" well-funded sides. If they refuse to promote them there is bound to be the hassle of a legal challenge.

We'll just have to take it on the chin and fight our way back up. Except this time don't disband half the team when we eventually reemerge in L2.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 25
TownSNAFU5
March 16, 2021, 1:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
This season is anything BUT normal.   Relegation might be normal but the abyss below us is not.

But, If we are relegated then I can see the EFL not fighting our corner.  We are expendable.  If say Sunderland and Pompey were relegated then their more powerful voices might be listened to.

The likely outcome is that we knuckle down and start our recovery (with new owners and more funding) from a low base.  Our rivals are likely to be cash-strapped.

The plan should be to get higher up the league than the bottom half of Division 2.  Something that we have not achieved for around 15 years.  A very sad indictment of how this Club has been managed.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
DB
March 16, 2021, 1:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
I can only see it being an issue if the NL have not played enough games to form a reasonable league table.  At the end of the day over 40+ games, the champion and play-off winner probably have a case to go up. Why would the EFL be especially bothered which 2 teams at the top of the NL replace the bottom 2 in League Two? All the teams who look like they might be promoted appear to be "proper" well-funded sides. If they refuse to promote them there is bound to be the hassle of a legal challenge.

We'll just have to take it on the chin and fight our way back up. Except this time don't disband half the team when we eventually reemerge in L2.

Surely it depends on where the money has come from. If they have taken loans via the NL to survive then this could not count as proper well funded clubs. Without these loans they would not have survived or been promoted.

PS. Their is a hyphen in re-emerge

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
psgmariner
March 16, 2021, 1:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from DB

You are right. There is.

Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
aldi_01
March 16, 2021, 4:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Whilst I appreciate it’s a valid discussion it just highlights how flipping terrible we are that we’re clinging to this straw...

Can’t imagine Cheltenham, Cambridge, Newport et al are worrying about this...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
WesternMariner
March 16, 2021, 4:59pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +948
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from aldi_01
Whilst I appreciate it’s a valid discussion it just highlights how flipping terrible we are that we’re clinging to this straw...

Can’t imagine Cheltenham, Cambridge, Newport et al are worrying about this...

Why is there spelling and grammer better than what ours is?

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
Azimuth
March 16, 2021, 5:26pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +711
Gold Stars: 61
If we are relegated it is not more or no less than we deserve and must live with the consequences of that, clutching at straws does not change how poor we have been this season umder two managers both of whom had a transfer window.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
GrimRob
March 16, 2021, 5:28pm

Quoted from DB

Surely it depends on where the money has come from. If they have taken loans via the NL to survive then this could not count as proper well funded clubs. Without these loans they would not have survived or been promoted.

Grammarly doesn't mind it. I have it installed as an extension in my browser so it automatically checks textboxes including posts on the forum.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/reemerge

It spotted four mistakes in your two sentences.

I'd recommend using it if you are on a PC, it improves your English just by observing what it says. My main gripe is that it can't cope with "Town are" and it wants to me say "Town is". Football clubs and bands are always plural.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 17 - 25
pen penfras
March 16, 2021, 5:47pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

Grammarly doesn't mind it. I have it installed as an extension in my browser so it automatically checks textboxes including posts on the forum.

I'd recommend using it if you are on a PC, it improves your English just by observing what it says. My main gripe is that it can't cope with "Town are" and it wants to me say "Town is". Football clubs and bands are always plural.

I agree that they are plural, but companies are not and it seems like they should be too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 16, 2021, 5:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,321
Gold Stars: 309
And as their beloved football team slipped away to a slow and painful death, Grimsby Town supporters entertained themselves with pointless threads about grammar and punctuation.....

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
GrimRob
March 16, 2021, 5:55pm

Quoted from pen penfras

I agree that they are plural, but companies are not and it seems like they should be too.

Football fans feel part of a group and so do music fans. They also recognise other groups as plural because they represent different communities (Scunny are crap, not Scunny is crap but Scunthorpe the town is crap).

My mum was never a football fan so always referred to Grimsby Town in the singular, which annoyed me every time she said it!

For companies I guess if you work for Google you call them "us",  but otherwise "Google has a market capitalisation of x" sounds better than "Google have a market capitalisation of x"?

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 20 - 25
DB
March 16, 2021, 7:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

Rob your knowledge of the English language far exceeds mine and I take my hat off to you. I keep trying to improve but hey I haven't got all that many left on terra firma, but I will try. So what's your answer to what I really posted in reply to yours :-

'Surely it depends on where the money has come from. If they have taken loans via the NL to survive then this could not count as proper well funded clubs. Without these loans they would not have survived or been promoted.'

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
GrimRob
March 16, 2021, 8:48pm

Quoted from DB

Rob your knowledge of the English language far exceeds mine and I take my hat off to you. I keep trying to improve but hey I haven't got all that many left on terra firma, but I will try. So what's your answer to what I really posted in reply to yours :-

'Surely it depends on where the money has come from. If they have taken loans via the NL to survive then this could not count as proper well funded clubs. Without these loans they would not have survived or been promoted.'

It's worth pursuing but it's a long shot. The Football League seem to struggle to make any radical decisions, they appear ultra-conservative in all they do. Having skimmed through their regulations a few times my impression was that they did have the power to pretty much turn down whoever was promoted if they wanted to, but why should they? They have a product to protect and part of that product is relegation because it maintains an interest in the lower third of the table and keeps the turnstiles clicking. Would we be paying our tenners now to watch games if there was no relegation? Getting promoted is a great feeling but avoiding the drop is also a great high, better than months of pointless games anyway.

What they should really be doing is merging with the National League to create a League 2 North and South but they don't seem interested in any kind of innovation. Artificial surfaces remain banned and only the pandemic has forced their hand with technology to provide coverage to fans in League1/2 which are barely covered on TV, all of which could have been done years ago.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 22 - 25
arryarryarry
March 16, 2021, 11:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from sutton mariner

Probably better quality than we keep putting out.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
Mallyner
March 17, 2021, 8:13am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
And as their beloved football team slipped away to a slow and painful death, Grimsby Town supporters entertained themselves with pointless threads about grammar and punctuation.....

Very good.  

I have just put my Dictionary into a charity bag; I won't need it anymore, I will just use the Fishy.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
Madeleymariner
March 17, 2021, 9:14am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 51
Perhaps we need to hope we finish 23rd and Sutton can't guarantee laying their new pitch in time for the league
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Anything from the EFL?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.