Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 251 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 6,544 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
joe56
March 10, 2021, 2:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
I thought we played very well for the first 30 minutes, and should have gone 2 or 3 up against the worst team I have seen this season. Unfortunately, it seemed to me that we went far too deep for the rest of the game. I texted my sons at half time predicting that we’d concede in injury time because that’s the Grimsby way. We’ve been doing it for the last decade or more, regardless of who’s been the manager. I’ve noticed that almost all season our opponents have played a pressing game, never giving us a moment on the ball, while we have allowed them far too much time and space. In the Spurs documentary on Prime, Mourinho was constantly telling his players to get up the pitch and press the opposition in their own half, not sit back on the edge of their area and await the inevitable. Bielsa has got it down too a fine art at Leeds with his “Bielsa methodology”. I agree that the last couple of performances have been a big improvement on what’s gone recently, but a shift towards more of a pressing game would make all the difference. If that’s forthcoming, I think we have an excellent chance of avoiding relegation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 43
RonMariner
March 10, 2021, 2:12pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,863
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from AndyGTFC
I mean we’ve got a chance but we shoot ourselves in the foot too often for anyone to be too optimistic.

Thrown away points in the last minute against Stevenage and Carlisle and lost to a Newport side that were down to ten men for an hour in the last few weeks alone.

Only time will tell I guess

Totally agree. We are just not making the most of opportunities that come our way. It is so wasteful and will prove so very expensive.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 43
DB
March 10, 2021, 6:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from rancido

So no praise for Hurst in the 11 players he initially fielded that played well but condemnation for a playing a player who made a mistake and cost us 2 points. What Hurst did , in trying to shore up the defence  in the closing stages , is a tactic that virtually all managers would have done in the same situation. His tactics were right but it was an error from a player that cost us.

So 11 games gone and you tell me his tactics were right. Absolutely fantastic brilliant tactics they have got us 1 foot in the NL, 5 points out of 33 and a lucky win.

If you look back at the goal that they scored you will see Hanson failed to clear an easy header, Waterfall and Hewitt both let their man cross while Menayese did not follow their goal scorer. Not 1 player but 4 players made errors.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 43
DB
March 10, 2021, 6:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from lee65
How does it look for those around us though?, are their run ins much easier on paper?

(I do believe anyone can beat anyone though in Lg 2, and perhaps if we somehow manage to still be in the fight towards the end of April maybe some "top" Teams could start resting players for the play-offs if position allows?)

But not us

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.