Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for club to make a statement on takeover
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 246 Guests

Time for club to make a statement on takeover

This thread currently has 6,784 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
March 16, 2021, 9:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
As long as the takeover goes through before late June does it actually matter when?

SSP cannot change much now.

It could be argued that they won’t be able to change much in Year 1 anyway. It will take a long time to turn the club around so we will all require patience.

The takeover is not a silver bullet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 39
Bigdog
March 16, 2021, 10:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
As long as the takeover goes through before late June does it actually matter when?

SSP cannot change much now.

It could be argued that they won’t be able to change much in Year 1 anyway. It will take a long time to turn the club around so we will all require patience.

The takeover is not a silver bullet.

Not necessarily. A vision and timeline for club infrastructure, new stadium and training ground could be presented. A clear direction of the club's medium term aims. This will provide the fanbase a vision of the future, something to look forward to. We haven't had that for a very long time. That could be done by the summer along with many other instant changes around fan engagement. The consortium have had enough time these past eighteen months or so to get a broad strategy together.

Secondly, if we get relegated, we could be bold and set about the season with the ambition and conviction of only staying down there for one season rather than the Hurst-like approach of incremental building. Plenty of clubs in the National League have been severely hit financially. We've got to go with the attitude of brushing them all aside, even the likes of Notts County. There will be nothing to lose by taking that mental approach and we're all grown up enough to take it on the chin if it doesn't work first time.

We've had too many cold doses of pragmatic realism the past couple of decades, and it just doesn't work..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 39
Zmariner
March 16, 2021, 10:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Were I involved in the takeover I would delay until we are mathematically down and so the relegation is pinned totally to the existing owners. There is no sugar coating the relegation and so if I were them I would prefer to talk only about the future utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 39
Bigdog
March 16, 2021, 10:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Zmariner
Were I involved in the takeover I would delay until we are mathematically down and so the relegation is pinned totally to the existing owners. There is no sugar coating the relegation and so if I were them I would prefer to talk only about the future utm

I think they're clever enough to know that they won't be blamed for any of this mess even if they took the club over tomorrow.. No point in wasting time avoiding getting their feet under the table to sort the wheat from the chaff and plan for the future over blame that's nigh on unanimously been apportioned already..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 39
GrimRob
March 16, 2021, 11:12pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,462
Gold Stars: 115
It's a takeover, not a makeover. We won't be sailing off in the sunset either, it will the coach to King's Lynn.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 39
denni266
March 16, 2021, 11:45pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Take over . what take over ,  It does not take 4 months to buy something . Everything  seems to have been done except one vital thing ..... Handing over the cash . Have they got it ?  are they hanging on for a better price while the fans suffer , Something does not seem right to me . Buying a non league club for 2.5 mill is well over the top  + it will need another 3 mill on players to get us anywhere near a promotion team . Add to that better training ground  and then there is the new ground at what ever price . They are men that are used to making a profit in there line of work  not to lose money.. IMO we are going to be stuck with fenty for a good while yet  and another drop down the leagues will be well on the cards
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 39
March 17, 2021, 12:11am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from denni266
Take over . what take over ,  It does not take 4 months to buy something . Everything  seems to have been done except one vital thing ..... Handing over the cash

Apologies if you are actually an expert on corporate finance but why do you think a transaction should complete in four months?

What are you basing that on?

Have you ever purchased a football club?

Have you ever purchased a company?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 39
KingstonMariner
March 17, 2021, 12:14am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I’ve had house purchases that have taken longer. Less money and less complicated than this transaction.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 39
March 17, 2021, 12:17am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I’ve had house purchases that have taken longer. Less money and less complicated than this transaction.

I agree. I’ve just had an offer accepted on a house and there’s little chance of me completing by 30 June.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 39
DB
March 17, 2021, 12:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I recall a house purchase that had a problem on the day of completion. Mortgage duly approved and signed, funds allocated, everything going along fine until a solicitor forgot to ask for the money from the  loan source.

In the paperwork the solicitor should have applied for the money from the lender a week prior to completion and forgot. Fortunately everybody in the chain were friends, or known to each other, so the moves went ahead for the paperwork and cash to be completed the next week.

So problems can happen.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for club to make a statement on takeover

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.