2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
February 8, 2021, 7:24pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,284
Gold Stars: 266
fwiw i thought Hewitt had a damn good game at right back, although his crossing wasn't good enough.
Bunney and Idris were both disappointing - had been expecting better from the Ipswich lad, who's looked marginal in both game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 14
moosey_club
February 8, 2021, 7:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,317
Gold Stars: 229
I thought Bunney started ok, couple of nice passes early doors not just standard ones, and also played a couple of nice channel balls that we gained yardage on.
He got himself into a bit of a jumble on one occasion  and then never recovered. Clearly tired after only about 40 mins I thought.

Yet again though.....that's the third left back who has experienced the same thing, no real natural player in front of them making it harder for them.  El Mizouni certainly wasnt hugging the touchline that side and doesnt look a natural left winger or wide man to me.
Hurst didnt do Bunney any favours by leaving him on as long as he did when he was clearly flagging and with Habergham supposedly having a great delivery it may have been better to have him stretching the game wide left and peppering balls into the mixer.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 14
Tommy
February 8, 2021, 8:08pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from moosey_club
Yet again though.....that's the third left back who has experienced the same thing, no real natural player in front of them making it harder for them.  El Mizouni certainly wasnt hugging the touchline that side and doesnt look a natural left winger or wide man to me.

Hurst said in his post-match interview, when asked about substitutions, that he didnt want to change it and go to a straight 442 which would have matched them up in midfield after their reshuffle. And he said he stuck with our lopsided shape.

So it was the intention to have El Mizouni infield pretty much as a 3rd central midfielder. Something Hurst has done before (Nolan starting from the left, also remember Scott&Hurst playing a lopsided 433 with only one of the forwards wide (either Makofo or Coulson, with 2 central strikers).

I didn't think it was particularly obvious during the game that that was the plan. Like you say, El Mizouni certainly wasnt hugging the touchline, but I wouldnt have said he was playing centrally, at least until a point in the second half where he started to wander about a bit to get on the ball (which is actually when he looked better).

Quoted from moosey_club
Hurst didnt do Bunney any favours by leaving him on as long as he did when he was clearly flagging and with Habergham supposedly having a great delivery it may have been better to have him stretching the game wide left and peppering balls into the mixer.

2nd half should have been all about how many good crosses we could load into their box. With Hanson and Payne on, and them sitting deep enough to allow us to get forward enough into crossing positions plenty of times. It was clear Bunney and Hewitt couldn't have crossed a road. I'm sure Habergham could have managed 45 minutes to play the 2nd half and show us some of the good delivery he's meant to have.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 14
moosey_club
February 8, 2021, 9:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,317
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from Tommy

Hurst said in his post-match interview, when asked about substitutions, that he didnt want to change it and go to a straight 442 which would have matched them up in midfield after their reshuffle. And he said he stuck with our lopsided shape.

So it was the intention to have El Mizouni infield pretty much as a 3rd central midfielder. Something Hurst has done before (Nolan starting from the left, also remember Scott&Hurst playing a lopsided 433 with only one of the forwards wide (either Makofo or Coulson, with 2 central strikers).

I didn't think it was particularly obvious during the game that that was the plan. Like you say, El Mizouni certainly wasnt hugging the touchline, but I wouldnt have said he was playing centrally, at least until a point in the second half where he started to wander about a bit to get on the ball (which is actually when he looked better).

2nd half should have been all about how many good crosses we could load into their box. With Hanson and Payne on, and them sitting deep enough to allow us to get forward enough into crossing positions plenty of times. It was clear Bunney and Hewitt couldn't have crossed a road. I'm sure Habergham could have managed 45 minutes to play the 2nd half and show us some of the good delivery he's meant to have.

i recognised the lopsided approach from his previous tenure but as nearly all advice from any manager, ex pro, pundit etc is when playing against ten men you need to stretch the game and move the ball quickly,  it was disappointing for us to pretty much do the opposite.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 14
Nutsy
February 9, 2021, 8:30am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +158
Gold Stars: 5
In my opinion Bunney was largely the only person on the left flank, as Idrs tended to be tucked inside and at points central.

I though Bunney was largely ok, which is fine for a first game back.

In midfield I think Idris and Matete would work well in tandem, and have Morais and Adams on the wings.

Bunney, Menayese, Waterfall and Hewitt is the most reliable at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 14
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Newport match report

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.