Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The next 20 games.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 250 Guests

The next 20 games.

This thread currently has 4,990 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
February 2, 2021, 10:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Well there’s no doubt the 1st team won’t have a problem improving us shape as the squad looks big enough for 11 a side with 5 subs......

But seriously, the next 3 games are tough, the 2 after could go either way. If we can avoid defeat on Saturday they’ll be a bit of belief and the long bus ride home will be better.

We’ve been p1ss poor and if the season ended now I wouldn’t be thinking we’re unlucky as the football has been dire.

New blood not only brings improved performances (hopefully) it brings fresh energy to the squad and if the additions have the right attitude the others will up their game, that’s something that’s been missing.

We just need to find the starting point to consistency and that’s to avoid defeat as a minimum, the after that who knows.

We have a fighting chance but we need a minimum of 7 points from the next 5 games, and the same from the 3 remaining blocks of 5 and we might just make it, but based upon the season to date that’s a big ask.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 49
KingstonMariner
February 2, 2021, 11:05pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
First priority on Saturday is to shut up shop (but not the Shop). Defend from the front, which is exactly what the Shop is good at. Keep them at ‘nil’ and it’s job done. Move on to the next one.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 49
Boris Johnson
February 3, 2021, 3:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from smokey111

Why will we become the Wrexham of that league? No suprise you see us going down, but how did you arrive at that comparison?

12th season in the conference, similar size club to us, just think its a downward trend, and will be a long haul back.   Wrexham should have been back by now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 49
ivanosandwich
February 3, 2021, 9:31am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from ginnywings
There are four teams who have only won 5 games. All of the other three have had little mini runs at some point and we haven't as yet, with most of our wins coming earlier in the season before the rot set in too far. Stevenage and Barrow only had 2 wins each 6 games ago and Stevenage themselves only have 5 wins courtesy of the monumental fook up on Saturday. However, they are on a great run at the moment and are 6th in the form guide, so if they carry on in that vein, they will pull away. They didn't look world beaters on Saturday, so there is no reason to suppose we couldn't do the same with some better players and organisation.

Colchester, Newport and Walsall are all on bad runs at the moment, with Exeter, Bolton and FGR not doing much better. We can beat teams higher up the leagues I think, but it would have helped had we taken more than 1 point from Stevenage and Southend, thus denying them points into the bargain.

I think it's more doable than some seem to think. There's certainly time I feel.

We'll have to, there's not many  below us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 49
diehardmariner
February 3, 2021, 11:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
60 points to play for with more or less a new team.

Absolute faith that Hurst has made improvements with each signing, it's just a matter of how quickly they gel.

My main positive comes from the fact that we're not totally adrift, despite having been bloody awful for the vast majority of this season so far.  As poor as we've looked, I can't remember seeing too many teams that were outstanding.  A lot of our goals against have come from sloppy mistakes, ones that you would hope Hurst and Doig can iron out sharpish.

The goals against is a big concern as at the minute it's effectively a point.  So we're 3 points behind a Barrow side who have two games in hand.   That rearranged fixture could be huge, both in terms of dragging them into it and for confidence (for both sides).

I previously made the comparison with the Woods relegation season in terms of trying to rebuild a very poor team mid-season, stating that Woods had more time and still failed.  I think something that I didn't consider was that Hurst is far more experienced than Woods was at that point and clearly has a better network of contacts.  Hurst has been a manager for a good decade and built up his contacts and his scouting database.  Woods was fresh from the youth team and his signings reflected that largely, young lads from a relatively close area.  Hurst has managed to bring in players with more experience and better pedigrees.  

Obviously until we see this new team play it's impossible to even try and angle how it's going to pan out.   But I've a feeling that we'll be alright and then some.  
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 49
Norseman
February 3, 2021, 1:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +277
Gold Stars: 48
all the teams above us have also strengthened in the window  .Difference is they had good players to start with .So only had to tweak .In essence they will still have good players and we will just have to see how the new signings cope
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 49
DB
February 3, 2021, 2:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.38
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Norseman
all the teams above us have also strengthened in the window  .Difference is they had good players to start with .So only had to tweak .In essence they will still have good players and we will just have to see how the new signings cope

The one certain thing is the new lads can only be better than the headless chickens Hursty inherited.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 49
moosey_club
February 3, 2021, 7:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,318
Gold Stars: 229
We are effectively back where we were when we started the season.
New squad of players to bed in and gel together , no pre season preparation as the new squad effectively starts from cold on Saturday.
I am not expecting any major upturn in results for 3-4 games at least whilst the new signings and returning injured players build upto fitness and understanding.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 49
DB
February 3, 2021, 7:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.38
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from moosey_club
We are effectively back where we were when we started the season.
New squad of players to bed in and gel together , no pre season preparation as the new squad effectively starts from cold on Saturday.
I am not expecting any major upturn in results for 3-4 games at least whilst the new signings and returning injured players build upto fitness and understanding.

See where you're coming from but we have to have faith and believe. 3/4 games is 9/12 points and we need some of them so a win at Newport for me.

UTM

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 49
KingstonMariner
February 3, 2021, 7:28pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I agree with Moosey on this. A whole new team will take time to bed in. I don’t expect much improvement in results this month. Best to manage expectations or we’ll be having some mental breakdowns.

Positivity is good to have but they’ve got to be grounded in reality.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The next 20 games.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.