Jackson Jr
Sisay
Payne
Green
Hanson
John-lewis

I've missed out a few youth/fringe players from the list

Simple question:
Lets say season has just started, morale is high, confidence is high.
Is this team good enough for league 2?

IMO, Yes.
problem being, confidence is probably very low, especially after Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Perkins
February 2, 2021, 10:43am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Who knows.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
Sandford1981
February 2, 2021, 10:45am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
With so many unknown quantities it’s basically a guess isn’t it?

I’m going to take a punt and say yes purely because I have faith and trust in Hursty and Doig and they clearly think these lads will get the job done.

It’s a YES from me!! 🤞

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
Tinymariner
February 2, 2021, 10:45am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
8 of those can go.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
lew chaterleys lover
February 2, 2021, 10:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,780
Gold Stars: 237
I have absolutely no idea till I see them play over an extended period.

One thing that is striking though, is that no manager seems willing to work with players signed by previous managers. Each new manager brings a new team. I suppose on that basis alone it might be worth sticking with a proven manager for a long time, and just tweak the squad gradually over time. The amount of decent players that come and go is ridiculous.

Even with this poor team, we have had some players sign for teams higher than us, some even for league 1 clubs!

If we could have put out a team of the good players we have let go over the years we would be in the Championship.

I suppose it is human nature to surround yourself with your own signings, but if we survive this season I hope for an extended period we can have some stability if the new board think Hurst is the man to lead the club on the playing side.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
KingstonMariner
February 2, 2021, 10:56am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
A few months back someone posted a link to research that showed exactly what you said in your second para Lew. The most influential factor on a sports team’s performance appears to be squad stability.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
realist
February 2, 2021, 11:00am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
The problem is with so many new signings it can take a while for the team to gel. They must work hard in the week to minimise this. If they do we might have a chance although we don’t know a lot about the new guys yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
Nutsy
February 2, 2021, 11:02am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +158
Gold Stars: 5
I would say if you were to make the best XI out of that lot, you’d have a promotion pushing side.

You have Payne and LJL as first choice forwards , with Hanson and Jackson Jnr as cover (I think neither of those being first choice will do them a big favour)

You have an energetic and youthful midfield, mixed with some good runners and then some older pros

Defence, on paper, is a decent league two side, with good competition but just missing another experienced CB imo

Goalkeeper - now competition and so should push each other

Yes - this is much better than most teams we’ve had since being back up. There are players I think should move on and then reinforcements brought in for CB, wings and midfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
Jarmo.Is.God
February 2, 2021, 11:22am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from Nutsy
I would say if you were to make the best XI out of that lot, you’d have a promotion pushing side.

You have Payne and LJL as first choice forwards , with Hanson and Jackson Jnr as cover (I think neither of those being first choice will do them a big favour)

You have an energetic and youthful midfield, mixed with some good runners and then some older pros

Defence, on paper, is a decent league two side, with good competition but just missing another experienced CB imo

Goalkeeper - now competition and so should push each other

Yes - this is much better than most teams we’ve had since being back up. There are players I think should move on and then reinforcements brought in for CB, wings and midfield.

IMO, Hanson is still the first choice striker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
BottesfordMariner
February 2, 2021, 11:24am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
As has been said it's difficult to say. Until you see them play and how they gel. Lot of players I dont know too much about.

We've signed players with decent reputations before like Williams Rose Waterfall...who have been largely disappointing.

But its a big turnaround in players this month and fair to say will it will be a very different looking team from the one that has plodded through the season so far. And with a manager who can maybe get us better organised, harder to beat and win some games. It almost like starting over but had to be done . If we'd kept to what we had we were doomed.

20 games left so still hope i suppose. Can we get sufficient points over our rivals. I dont know what the other strugglers have done to improve their squads. Would be surprised if any have done as much as Town.

Question is how long will it take to get the team playing to its potential. They dont have the luxury of a month or so to bed in. They need to hit the ground running.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Current Squad

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.