Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from Chrisblor

Err it's one of the fundamental basics they teach you as a keeper:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/3txb3Wc.jpg[/img]

Look, this shows where you should be stood as a goalkeeper based on the position of the ball on the pitch. The ball is played from area 3, showing McKeown should have been stood in area 3 near his own penalty spot. Instead he's off back near his own 6 yard box meaning he can't get to the ball after the defenders have (stupidly) let it go over their heads. If his positioning had been correct they wouldn't have scored. This (and all his other intercourse-ups this season) is why he is getting flack.

where are you expecting him to be when the ball has come down in the D? Looking at that diagram.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 93
Abdul19
January 30, 2021, 5:54pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,616
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Chrisblor

Have another look at it yourself. McKeown's starting position was inside his own 6 yard box when the ball was still in the other half. If he'd been stood further forward like he should have been he'd have easily collected it before their player got a touch.

Agreed. Alisson would've been on his penalty spot at least (I know he's a top keeper but the principles are the same). If you have to come out the area and hoof it clear then so be it.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 93
mimma
January 30, 2021, 5:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
Don't forget he gave away a dangerous freekick when he panicked and handled it out of his box. I always defend keepers, because from first hand knowledge, every other player is a goalkeeping expert and always know what you should do. This season though, Macca has given away quite a few goals, and I think it is mainly down to lack of self confidence when he is faced with a difficult situation. He never has commanded his box, which makes the rest of the defence wary, and unsure.

Thing is, can we bring in someone that is any better at this late stage?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 93
RonMariner
January 30, 2021, 5:57pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,865
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Gaffer58
I assume we don’t have a goalkeeping coach, if we do then he needs to go because Macca’s  got worse this season.

Yes we have a goalkeeping coach.

He came in when Macca was dropped and let in the softest goal of the season. It would be funny if it was not so tragic.

Like everything else associated with this club, you couldn't make it up!

I'm beginning to wonder if this is not some weird experiment in comedy performance art.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 93
immariner
January 30, 2021, 6:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from headingly_mariner

where are you expecting him to be when the ball has come down in the D? Looking at that diagram.

From where he might have reasonably expected Waterfall to header the ball, he should have been around 8-9 yards out, pretty much where the ball was put in from. That graphic shows GK positioning for when the opposition is in possession of the ball, not necessarily where the ball is. With the ball in the air the GK can reasonably be expected to be positioned a little further forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 93
MuddyWaters
January 30, 2021, 6:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,289
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from headingly_mariner

When the ball is in their half, he should be on the penalty spot.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 93
headingly_mariner
January 30, 2021, 6:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from immariner

From where he might have reasonably expected Waterfall to header the ball, he should have been around 8-9 yards out, pretty much where the ball was put in from. That graphic shows GK positioning for when the opposition is in possession of the ball, not necessarily where the ball is. With the ball in the air the GK can reasonably be expected to be positioned a little further forward. Sorry Headingley, you're a sound chap but you ain't winning this one.

I think it’s very hard to pin that on the keeper, but I’m not a goalkeeping coach.
I also think there’s quite a lot of unknown because the pictures don’t show where he started when the ball was launched. I would also expect given the wind as it was today a keepers starting position may be deeper.

Last time we were relegated we had Nick Colgan in goal and he was completely bobbins, a massive contributing factor in us getting relegated. I’m not saying Mckeown is the best keeper at this level, but I think he’s thoroughly competent.
I don’t want to slag the defenders off either because to be fair they played alright today and I think they’re decent at this level, it’s them who will have to get us out of this excrement.
Hurst alluded to it maybe being a really good ball, I think it’s more luck but he’s sliced the defence from 60 yards with an aimless hoof. We have a thread about the keeper every time there’s a dubious goal, I think he’s just a victim of being here a long time and I can think of many worse number 1’s we’ve had at this level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 93
Fillipe Noche
January 30, 2021, 6:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Macca has made so many howlers this season

Without even having to think about it too much there are the ones that stand out straight away

Twice I think he’s rushed to the left of his goal to spoon back in a ball that was going out safely, that resulted in instant goals

The one where he kicked the ball into his own net

What the fell was doing today even, with that handball outside of his box

We used to think of Macca as Mr Dependable, so steady, with worldly saves in his locker too. He looks devoid of all of this these days
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 93
ginnywings
January 30, 2021, 6:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Should have been upgraded when we got back in the league, along with most other positions. The reason we are in the sh1te yet again, is because we have stood still with recruitment.

Waterfall made a mistake, but Macca should have been in a position to correct that mistake. The last line of defence has let us down too many times and cost enough points this season that we could be 2 or 3 places higher. You can get away with it if you are safe mid table but not when every point matters.

Get someone in for Monday if it's possible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 93
headingly_mariner
January 30, 2021, 6:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

When the ball is in their half, he should be on the penalty spot.

I think we will probably agree to disagree, but assuming you were not sat in the stands how can you or I tell where he was when it was pumped from their half?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 93
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New keeper Monday

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.