2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
January 29, 2021, 11:14pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
On Together TV +1 now. About Brentford fans’ reflections with the move to the new stadium move coming up. Familiar stories from our point of view.

One for Thorne Mariner.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
wuffing
January 30, 2021, 7:14am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +852
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from KingstonMariner
On Together TV +1 now. About Brentford fans’ reflections with the move to the new stadium move coming up. Familiar stories from our point of view.

One for Thorne Mariner.

Have you seen their new stadium? It is magnificent, not a bad seat in the house and looks just fab. Now this is what WE need to be aiming for!

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
KingstonMariner
January 30, 2021, 9:19am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I’ve not seen it in the flesh. I’ve seen it emerge during construction as I passed that site, but not been past it since it’s been finished. I was in Brentford a few weeks ago too but didn’t take the detour.

I’ve always seen Brentford as our southern shadow. We bounced around the divisions together for many years and there’s a ‘proper club’ feel about it like Town and the old stadiums have that same charm.

And there’s the obvious point that where they’ve gone, so can we.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
promotion plaice
January 30, 2021, 9:38am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,083
Gold Stars: 201
Quoted from wuffing

Have you seen their new stadium? It is magnificent, not a bad seat in the house and looks just fab. Now this is what WE need to be aiming for!

Yeah it looks impressive, not sure about the multi-coloured seats though.

Apparently they haven't gone down too well with a fair few of their fans

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
wuffing
January 30, 2021, 9:43am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +852
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from promotion plaice

Yeah it looks impressive, not sure about the multi-coloured seats though.

Apparently they haven't gone down too well with a fair few of their fans

Coloured seats apart, when I saw the aerial view of the whole structure as the camera panned around the stadium it was just a wow factor from me.

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
DocDock
January 30, 2021, 10:02am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +235
Gold Stars: 3
They’ve also done really well to squeeze a stadium in on that site too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
January 30, 2021, 10:03am
Guest User
I’ve not seen it in the flesh. I’ve seen it emerge during construction as I passed that site, but not been past it since it’s been finished. I was in Brentford a few weeks ago too but didn’t take the detour.

I’ve always seen Brentford as our southern shadow. We bounced around the divisions together for many years and there’s a ‘proper club’ feel about it like Town and the old stadiums have that same charm.

And there’s the obvious point that where they’ve gone, so can we.

There are so many similarities between the Bees and Town. Up until the last decade there wasn't much difference in the support base but Town are traditionally better away from home.

Both clubs have had more than their fair share of false saviours thinking of David Webb and then Ron Noades in particular at Brentford. The latter virtually bankrupted the club. I remember the bucket collections and some truly awful sides. The commercial side was terrible too. If anyone has complaints about our ticketing and club shop arrangements, they had never tried to get away tickets from the Braemar Road office back in the day.

I hope Town don't have to wait as long to relocate as the new ground has been nearly two decades in the making. This has been celebrated by a glossy hardback book sent out free to Bees United fans, a nice touch. I got mine before Christmas.

I'll miss Griffin Park. In a Brentford memories clip, one fan said 'Its a s***hole but its our s***hole'. Atmospheric though.

I missed the last game played in front of fans as I was abroad but had tickets for the remaining home games bar WBA as Town were to be at home to Cambridge that night.

I have a Bees ST frozen until next season and can't wait to get into the new ground where I am part of a group of eleven friends. It really does look the business. I'll hopefully be running a Town ST too.

Last season I went to Newport away in the FA Cup replay and a couple of Bees friends came over to chalk off the ground. Terrible game but a great night because all we did was reminisce about all the grounds and games we'd been too with our respective clubs. The stories and experiences are the same. You have to have been to these places to appreciate what it is like to be a fan through thin and thinner.

Whatever happens at Grimsby Town, I hope the new owners rediscover the common touch that has been missing but has come back to the Bees. As a frozen ST holder I was given free home iFollow until the end of December and this was extended until January as a Christmas present from the club. It has now been extended until the end of March. Fans feel appreciated.

There is no reason why Town can't emulate Brentford's achievements. When the consortium take over they could learn a lot about fan engagement by visiting those who saw through the vision for the Brentford Community Stadium.
Reply: 6 - 15
January 30, 2021, 10:08am
Guest User

One for Thorne Mariner.

I saw that thanks, Kingston. Its available to see on YouTube and well worth an hour of anyone's time. It featured people I knew very well and especially Bernie Watson who took his alsation dog Sarge to some away games where it barked when the opposition had the ball. Proper old school fans and the same characters really that we have at Town but just wearing different colours. A southern version of the Mariners as you've said but on vastly differing trajectories at the moment.
Reply: 7 - 15
HertsGTFC
January 30, 2021, 10:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Their community program is a proper community program reaching to all levels, I watched something recently where they had been working with young kids who had to care for their parents, it was brilliant.

We may not be able to emulate them with facilities or on the pitch for a good while yet but when the new owners come in I’d love to see them get behind a proper long term community program which was fully inclusive across the area.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
TownSNAFU5
January 30, 2021, 10:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
What does “fans feel appreciated” mean?

I have never heard this before.  I thought fans were there to be shouted at by the Board, and looked down upon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Push up Brentford

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.