TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 29, 2021, 10:08pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Peter Swan has died aged 84.

In the 1960s he was told by Alf Ramsey that he was number one choice at centre half and after one England performance in beating Italy in Rome the Italian press called him the best defender in the world. But Swan, Tony Kay and Bronco Layne were caught out betting on their side Sheffield Wednesday to lose at Ipswich. Swan bet £50 and won £100.

Swan was jailed for four months and banned from all football activity sine dei. Eventually he was shown some clemency but he no ever got further back than managing in non-league.

What might have been? Swan would almost certainly have played in the England World Cup side in place of Jack Charlton. Even me, a Charlton fan, knew that Swan was a far better centre half. There was every chance Tony Kay would have been in the squad as well.

A sad end to what could have been a massive career for the sake of a few quid.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
ska face
January 29, 2021, 10:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852
no, not that one...
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 3
Shipwrecked In Gainsborough
January 30, 2021, 12:51am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +248
Gold Stars: 2
Peter Swan (no not that one), way ahead of his time. Back in the days of crackly tannoy, with no tv pictures. Stood in a bookies shed where The Sporting Life & The Sporting Chronicle were pinned on the cork lined walls, both as a guide to The 2,28pm dog race at White City, the 3pm horse race from Stockton (all gone now). but also to act as blotting paper to stem the water seeping in if it rained. When betting on football matches was non existent and the ability to lay bets (act as a bookie) was unheard of. He was a pioneer of being a bent f****r. Now we can all buy our favourite footy shirts adorned with bookmakers names. Sipping our free cappuccinos in air conditioned betting shops, whilst watching 24 tv screens and wondering why the no7 for Camberwick Green in the game versus Frankenstein Utd, keeps kicking the ball out for a corner every time it comes anywhere near him, man on or not. Peter, where did it all go wrong mate? May he rest in peace.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 3
gtfc_akpa_akpro
January 30, 2021, 1:25am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / -3
Approval: +104
Gold Stars: 9
Although I appreciate this is (not about that one) Peter Swan, I think it’s worth mentioning the positive effect his recent fans forum prior to the derby has had on Scunthorpe.

Clarity, honest and clear communication appear to have done the club a world of good as well as the public support of the manager.

I can’t wait for the time when Fenty and left and we get a some leadership that gives us hope.

By no means is this a post of envy at Scunthorpe (I hate the blighters), just a simple observation of how that fans forum appears to have had a positive effect.

i would really like to know biccys favourite biscuit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Peter Swan

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.