Bigdog
January 21, 2021, 3:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Firstly, £5 million? Really? Lincoln's training ground cost £1.3m.

And Junior players aren't based at Cheapside are they? They're based at Oasis Academy Wintringham, so doesn't effect them where the first team are training.

Youth players (I assume you mean 1st & 2nd year YTs) aren't all based in North East Lincolnshire are they? Take a closer look at them. As many come from other's club's academies than come through our own junior system. At the end of the day those players are club employees as soon as they sign a YT form and they will train wherever the club tells them to train. The club has a mini bus for those who can't make their own way to the training ground. Nothing would change,

And anyway, who said the club's training ground should be a community asset? It's not. It's the clubs premises for training and match preparation.

Our new owners history in being involved with grant funded community based projects perhaps?

Lincoln's training complex isn't comprehensive. It's a very basic facility but obviously better than we have at present and centred around the first team, other age groups still spread across the city, I'd hope we aspire to better for the long term. Only three turf pitches, none artificial which can cost between 300-500k apiece. Not floodlit, no indoor pitch. It offers little more capacity than Cheapside other than better quality facilities, building and pitches. Of course it may be enough for what we need, and I'd happily take that, but I think we could do better. Other lower league clubs have invested much more than 1.3m, costs of creating turf pitches with drainage systems don't come cheap as don't artificial pitches, indoor pitches or floodlights or the land itself. Lincoln was privately funded and has stopped short of being a facility for every level of their club. I'd hope we could build a better centralised centre of excellence for all and creating a community asset is advantageous in obtaining grants to build something better than Lincoln have got. Why not aspire to do better than our rivals?

Google..                    

measuring the impact of efl clubs in the community - EFL.com

It's a pdf. Well worth a download and read..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 44
GollyGTFC
January 21, 2021, 3:46pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,069
Gold Stars: 359
Quoted from Bigdog

Lincoln's training complex isn't comprehensive. It's a very basic facility but obviously better than we have at present and centred around the first team, other age groups still spread across the city, I'd hope we aspire to better for the long term. Only three turf pitches, none artificial which can cost between 300-500k apiece. Not floodlit, no indoor pitch. It offers little more capacity than Cheapside other than better quality facilities, building and pitches. Of course it may be enough for what we need, and I'd happily take that, but I think we could do better. Other lower league clubs have invested much more than 1.3m, costs of creating turf pitches with drainage systems don't come cheap as don't artificial pitches, indoor pitches or floodlights or the land itself. Lincoln was privately funded and has stopped short of being a facility for every level of their club. I'd hope we could build a better centralised centre of excellence for all and creating a community asset is advantageous in obtaining grants to build something better than Lincoln have got. Why not aspire to do better than our rivals?

Google..                    

measuring the impact of efl clubs in the community - EFL.com

It's a pdf. Well worth a download and read..

So it's better than our's in every way conceivable. More pitches. Better pitches. A better building. Better facilities. Better gym.

Why would we need floodlights on our training ground? Players are generally in from about 9:30AM until early afternoon (2ish). Daylight all year round during those hours.

Anyway, a sensible approach would be to build what we need now (see Lincoln's), but built in a way to add facilities in the future as we progress.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 41 - 44
Bigdog
January 21, 2021, 4:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from GollyGTFC

So it's better than our's in every way conceivable. More pitches. Better pitches. A better building. Better facilities. Better gym.

Why would we need floodlights on our training ground? Players are generally in from about 9:30AM until early afternoon (2ish). Daylight all year round during those hours.

Anyway, a sensible approach would be to build what we need now (see Lincoln's), but built in a way to add facilities in the future as we progress.

Who knows what the right or sensible approach is? You know what our new training ground budget is? I don't either, I was just going off the sums that other clubs have spent and the physical cost of buildings, pitches etc. It won't be our decision. It's beyond our knowledge at the minute. As it stands today we haven't a pot to pisss in and we're stuck at Cheapside. Of course we'd look at Lincoln's today and want that compared to Cheapside, but I was only pointing out that there could be better ways to create a more comprehensive grant funded training facility than the basic one at Lincoln, and one that just doesn't centre around the first team..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 44
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 21, 2021, 5:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,777
Gold Stars: 82
Read the debate re Lincoln’s training ground and, unless they have made significant improvements to it, I would hope we are getting something better. They have built there’s on the side of the A15, opposite RAF Scampton, where is is exposed very much to the elements and has had to be relaid already as it is susceptible to flooding. Plus not sure that it’s very much bigger in acreage to Cheapside.

They may have addressed a number of these issues, no doubt Norfolk Imp will soon correct me, but it certainly doesn’t look like the best choice of site to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 44
KingstonMariner
January 21, 2021, 10:14pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Read the debate re Lincoln’s training ground and, unless they have made significant improvements to it, I would hope we are getting something better. They have built there’s on the side of the A15, opposite RAF Scampton, where is is exposed very much to the elements and has had to be relaid already as it is susceptible to flooding. Plus not sure that it’s very much bigger in acreage to Cheapside.

They may have addressed a number of these issues, no doubt Norfolk Imp will soon correct me, but it certainly doesn’t look like the best choice of site to me.

Sounds like an exposed site. Up there on the ridge, and then with Scampton's wide open spaces.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New training facility and it’s location

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.