XI vs Morecambe 2016

This thread currently has 2,347 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
BlackAndWhiteAndRedAllOver
January 13, 2021, 12:05am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +133
Been thinking back recently to the squad we had in our first game back in the football league in 2016, wasn't the best squad we've had by a long shot but better than the dross we have today.

Macca

Andrew     Boyce    Gowling   Davies

Bolarinwa    McAllister    Summerfield    Berrett

Jackson    Vernon

Jackson and Davies got the goals that day
Logged Offline
Private Message
livosnose
January 13, 2021, 12:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,185
Gold Stars: 16
Rose is a poor mans Berrett !

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
Boris Johnson
January 13, 2021, 12:33am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
jesus

i have no recollection of Boyce or McAllister
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
BlackAndWhiteAndRedAllOver
January 13, 2021, 12:48am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +133
Quoted from Boris Johnson
jesus

Andrew Boyce and Sean McAllister

Boyce played a few times for us that season but then went to Eastleigh

McAllister was out injured for most of his time here I think, basically 2016's answer to James Hanson  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
HertsGTFC
January 13, 2021, 7:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Boris Johnson
jesus

Boyce was also with us on loan the season before, McAllister who had had a decent career prior to signing for us played a few games then was resident on the treatment table for the rest of his contract, a poor man’s James Hanson.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
Gainsbro_Mariner
January 13, 2021, 7:22am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,459
Gold Stars: 15
Been thinking back recently to the squad we had in our first game back in the football league in 2016, wasn't the best squad we've had by a long shot but better than the dross we have today.

Macca

Andrew     Boyce    Gowling   Davies

Bolarinwa    McAllister    Summerfield    Berrett

Jackson    Vernon

Jackson and Davies got the goals that day

I think even looking at that team and who had left over the summer it makes you appreciate what a great team we had when we came up. It's almost a completely changed 11 from the Play-off final, it shows you the lengths Fenty didn't go to in retaining some of those players. I would have loved to have seen how far we would have gone if we had kept hold of Toto, Tait, Nolan, Amond, Arnold etc as well as Bogle down the line and another year out of Gregor Robertson.

I think we ended up getting Kayden Jackson a year early before he flourished, looked quite sharp but ironically couldn't hit the target (after this game) seem to remember him being prolific in League One the following year for Accrington. Josh Magennis and Malik Wilks spring to mind as well as they never did it for us either.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
Stew0_0
January 13, 2021, 9:11am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,193
Gold Stars: 35
To be honest the only 3 i would have from that in this town team would be Danny Andrew, Luke Summerfield and Kayeden Jackson.

Didnt realise the team had been dissected that much after the play off final. Thats shocked me.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
diehardmariner
January 13, 2021, 9:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,717
Gold Stars: 543
Boyce looked quality when we had him on loan and I think most of us thought it was a good, solid signing that summer.  Unfortunately he just didn't make the step up and looked well out of his depth.  It didn't help that his partner on that day, Josh Gowling, was another who didn't make the step up back into the league.  Shame as he was excellent in the Conference.

McAllister was the next level of that holding player that Hurst always liked to bring in.  Scott Brown was an improvement on Scott Kerr and McAllister an improvement on Brown.  Unfortunately whereas Brown had his issues, McAllister just couldn't stay fit.  But you could really tell his quality when he did play.  I think Coventry away was his last game, very early on in Jolley's reign.  He hadn't played for ages but was bossing the midfield until he went off exhausted, at which point Coventry just ran riot.  

I remember BBC Humberside, could have been Burns I think, asking Jolley about McAllister following the next game and Jolley couldn't give an answer as to why he wasn't involved.  Not sure if this was an indication of Jolley's early sulk and strops with the press but at the time I took it that there was something else at play.

Interestingly I've just Googled him to find out what happened since he left, he's now Football Development Co-Ordinator at Shrewsbury but when he signed for Chester he had this to say about his time at Town.

Quoted Text
"I know I'm still capable of playing in the Football League but with the injuries I've had the last time I played regular football was in League One and when I went to Grimsby I got an ankle injury which lasted 15 months through a misdiagnoses.

"It was one injury and I wasn't treated properly and as soon as I got the right treatment I haven't had the problem since.

"It was so frustrating as I knew I could have been out for just two weeks and it ended up being 15 months and I didn't know what the hell was was wrong with me. It was that bad I was thinking about retiring."

https://www.chesterstandard.co.....ooks-rebuild-career/

How many bloody times have we done this?  Just complete and utter shambles.  Never mind the failing in a care of duty to another player (remember Adrian Forbes' broken leg going undiagnosed?) but what about the cost implications? Wouldn't surprise me if Hanson's calf injury is in fact an ingrowing toenail!
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
ginnywings
January 13, 2021, 9:19am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
That really is an underwhelming team and shows how much the promotion side was dismantled. It's baffling as to why it was deemed necessary to totally purge a promotion side. Most teams who get promoted keep the nucleus of the players and add to it with a bit more quality here and there. Another opportunity to progress missed.

In that piece by Amond where he described the reasons around him leaving, he said he had been told by Hurst that the club wanted to sign more league standard players. So one has to ask, why didn't we? The players we did sign were no better than what we had (with one or two exceptions) and they didn't have that togetherness that promoted sides build up, and gives momentum beyond their abilities. It was a big mistake.

Of course, the biggest loss was yet to happen when Hurst packed his bags and headed for the Shrews. It's been another sh1t show ever since.

I'd give my eye teeth for that 2016 team now mind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
January 13, 2021, 9:26am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
8/11 of those were either retired or playing in none league within 2 years after that, flipping says it all about our recruitment
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › XI vs Morecambe 2016

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.