6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
January 5, 2021, 2:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,164
Gold Stars: 211
MAC signed on a short-term deal rather than a loan, I think. Remember him setting up a goal in that crazy 4-4 draw at Chesterfield.

Did you know he played for SIX clubs that season?

Started it at Oldham - even scored a couple early on - then got released; played one game for Kiddy on non-contract terms in L2; by the end of September he'd signed for Rochdale; then, at the end of November he was signed by Wednesday (then in L1), played just once before being released in Feb; then signed for Notts Co, where he scored against us; he was released mid-March, which is when Nicky Law brought him to us.

Also seem to remember him being brought on as a sub, and then being subbed off, in one of his few appearances for us. Strange, strange season.

Seem to remember he did alright in Scotland after a spell in Norway.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 20 - 51
Gainsbro_Mariner
January 5, 2021, 2:46pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,459
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from RichMariner
MAC signed on a short-term deal rather than a loan, I think. Remember him setting up a goal in that crazy 4-4 draw at Chesterfield.

Started it at Oldham - even scored a couple early on - then got released; played one game for Kiddy on non-contract terms in L2; by the end of September he'd signed for Rochdale; then, at the end of November he was signed by Wednesday (then in L1), played just once before being released in Feb; then signed for Notts Co, where he scored against us; he was released mid-March, which is when Nicky Law brought him to us.

Also seem to remember him being brought on as a sub, and then being subbed off, in one of his few appearances for us. Strange, strange season.

Yeah MAC was in that glut of players Nicky Law brought in, none of which were successful and weren't here for very long. Alan Fettis, Paul Warhurst, John Thorrington, Jamie Lawrence spring to mind.

Was very much successful in Scotland especially at Dundee and Hamilton.

Was one of those players who had we had him a little later in his career he would have been pretty good. Wiki describes him as a 22 club journeyman.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 51
realist
January 5, 2021, 2:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
Why do we excel in bringing out the worst in player? Hom many times have we got a supposedly bright prospect only to turn him into a lethargic player with two left feet. Our coaching staff must take responsibility for this,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 51
Mariner_501
January 5, 2021, 3:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 28
One of the worst loan signings in 20 years
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 51
Boris Johnson
January 5, 2021, 3:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
[quote=1506]Why do we excel in bringing out the worst in player? Hom many times have we got a supposedly bright prospect only to turn him into a lethargic player with two left feet. Our coaching staff must take responsibility for this,[/quote

we dont, they are not good enough in the first place, Russell Slade had a whole powerpoint presentatiion on this, his word was his bond
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 51
ginnywings
January 5, 2021, 3:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
That was a waste of time. Another player who has drifted through BP without leaving a mark, along with hundreds of others.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 51
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 5, 2021, 3:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,319
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from RichMariner

I had forgotten about Nicky Law.....thanks very f*cking much.......that's ruined my afternoon......

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 51
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 5, 2021, 3:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,319
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from realist
Why do we excel in bringing out the worst in player? Hom many times have we got a supposedly bright prospect only to turn him into a lethargic player with two left feet. Our coaching staff must take responsibility for this,

And some have questioned why we need an analyst.......

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 51
Abdul19
January 5, 2021, 3:46pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,615
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from RichMariner

I remember him starting up front with Paul Warhurst at home to Blackpool on Easter Monday. The best thing he did was get subbed to the loudest (and possibly only) cheer of the day and I think that was that.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 51
RichMariner
January 5, 2021, 3:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,164
Gold Stars: 211
I suppose we don't expect every signing to shine, but the sheer volume of players that have passed through our club is a sign of the times and the pressures each manager has had to work under.

I always cite our squad of 97/98 as an example of working with a small squad that could still cope with 68 games in a season.

However, I accept the game has changed since then — if other clubs build huge squads so they can rotate players and keep them fresh, then a squad like ours in 97/98 simply wouldn't be able to compete over a full season in the way it did as we'd get outrun by fresher (if not more talented) legs.

Sadly, Gomis and plenty of other players we signed in the summer will forever be associated with Holloway and a particularly low point for us. Here's hoping that Hurst can trim the waste, add a little more quality and improve what we have.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 29 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gomis loan terminated

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.