Playing Surface

This thread currently has 3,553 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 3, 2021, 2:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,319
Gold Stars: 309
Another factor that isn't helping is that we're playing games twice a week (not all at BP) so it's getting more use than in other seasons.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 34
RexFannies
January 3, 2021, 2:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +517
Gold Stars: 5
Even the training ground is a bit on the Cheapside

The Only Way Is Up
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
arryarryarry
January 3, 2021, 3:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Ruston AT

I shall put my point with the fear of being multiple Red Crossed/ abused.

I thought tuesday night the playing surface was deteriorating very quickly and yesterday it was not much better in fact worse. Our fantastic groundsman/person has won awards for having fantastic playing surfaces whats changed? There has been a lot of rain but surely there are ways to drain the pitch or is it all part of the "new ground scenario so we'll not bother with the pitch". We could end up playing on a bog of a pitch which could cost us more points.

There i've said it.

I agree with the other comments, lots of rain recently but not helped by the pathetic decision by the club to furlough the groundsman who I assume isn't on a fantastic wage but by not having him look after the pitch during the lock down and summer months will have a detrimental effect on the pitch.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 3, 2021, 4:18pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Ruston AT

I shall put my point with the fear of being multiple Red Crossed/ abused.

I thought tuesday night the playing surface was deteriorating very quickly and yesterday it was not much better in fact worse. Our fantastic groundsman/person has won awards for having fantastic playing surfaces whats changed? There has been a lot of rain but surely there are ways to drain the pitch or is it all part of the "new ground scenario so we'll not bother with the pitch". We could end up playing on a bog of a pitch which could cost us more points.

There i've said it.

Why should playing on a mud heap cost us more points? If we have decent players and it’s our home ground I can’t see why it is any disadvantage at all. Remember John Beck used to deliberately soak the Cambridge pitch when he was manager there.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
moosey_club
January 3, 2021, 4:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,317
Gold Stars: 229

Why should playing on a mud heap cost us more points? If we have decent players and it’s our home ground I can’t see why it is any disadvantage at all. Remember John Beck used to deliberately soak the Cambridge pitch when he was manager there.

ahhhh yes, but he had a system...a masterplan.....

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
carrot top
January 3, 2021, 4:59pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
Seen some great games played in mud-bath conditions at Blundell Park. One that springs to mind is ironically against Cambridge, Easter 1972. Same for both sides so this is a poor excuse. I realise the pitch should be better in to 2020's but get on with it

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
TAGG
January 3, 2021, 5:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
For years we had one of the best pitches in the country so don't know why its gone down the pan in the last 5 years or so and is now one of the worst in the country.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
January 3, 2021, 5:18pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +878
Gold Stars: 123
Ill fill you in. As a member of the groundstaff when I worked there 20+ years ago, Mike Phillips had a strict regime every May after the last home game. I presume he still does.

Within days he would get a machine in which I believe was called a corer. It would be pulled behind a tractor, slowly, using mechanics it would punch holes into the playing surface and pull out a plug of soil. This could take a couple of days. The cores would then have to be removed from the surface, usually with a snow shovel by a team of lackies, of which I was one, alongside Nobby! This could take a day with 6 people doing it. Very heavy work. Several tonnes of soil would have to be removed. Leaving the pitch to 'breathe' with all the newly opened holes, this aided drainage from the previously compacted surface. Normally about a week later, there would be a delivery of many, many tonnes of sand, which had to be barrowed onto the pitch, dumped in equidistant piles all across the whole playing surface, and then all the sand had to be swept, using a brush, to fill all of the holes to the top. Very laborious and time consuming. From start to finish it could take over 3 weeks to complete.

Because Mike Phillips was furloughed, and Johnny Useless was going in and ONLY cutting the grass, none of the above got done during the out of season, so thats why the pitch is getting chewed up every single match. There was no tender loving, award winning TLC on the pitch, which means that the playing surface now has 18 months of compacted soil one it, not allowing surface water to drain away as easily. Daily rain for a week could easily turn the once upon a time award winning pitch into a quagmire, and also if there is plenty of water lying below the surface, where there is a naturally high water table, the pitch could quite easily freeze up, something which rarely happened in the past while MP has been in charge.

In a normal season, if Town was playing away from home two or three times on the trot, the Groundstaff would have time to aerate the pitch and do everything they could to make the pitch as good as it could be. Mike deserved all the accolades he received for his care of the pitch and it was a pleasure working with him.

Hope this helps and explains the workings of the playing surface, and the reason it is how it is now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
Croxton
January 3, 2021, 5:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,019
Gold Stars: 35
It's as if the current regime has operated a scorched (compact) earth policy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
HertsGTFC
January 3, 2021, 5:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Ill fill you in. As a member of the groundstaff when I worked there 20+ years ago, Mike Phillips had a strict regime every May after the last home game. I presume he still does.

Within days he would get a machine in which I believe was called a corer. It would be pulled behind a tractor, slowly, using mechanics it would punch holes into the playing surface and pull out a plug of soil. This could take a couple of days. The cores would then have to be removed from the surface, usually with a snow shovel by a team of lackies, of which I was one, alongside Nobby! This could take a day with 6 people doing it. Very heavy work. Several tonnes of soil would have to be removed. Leaving the pitch to 'breathe' with all the newly opened holes, this aided drainage from the previously compacted surface. Normally about a week later, there would be a delivery of many, many tonnes of sand, which had to be barrowed onto the pitch, dumped in equidistant piles all across the whole playing surface, and then all the sand had to be swept, using a brush, to fill all of the holes to the top. Very laborious and time consuming. From start to finish it could take over 3 weeks to complete.

Because Mike Phillips was furloughed, and Johnny Useless was going in and ONLY cutting the grass, none of the above got done during the out of season, so thats why the pitch is getting chewed up every single match. There was no tender loving, award winning TLC on the pitch, which means that the playing surface now has 18 months of compacted soil one it, not allowing surface water to drain away as easily. Daily rain for a week could easily turn the once upon a time award winning pitch into a quagmire, and also if there is plenty of water lying below the surface, where there is a naturally high water table, the pitch could quite easily freeze up, something which rarely happened in the past while MP has been in charge.

In a normal season, if Town was playing away from home two or three times on the trot, the Groundstaff would have time to aerate the pitch and do everything they could to make the pitch as good as it could be. Mike deserved all the accolades he received for his care of the pitch and it was a pleasure working with him.

Hope this helps and explains the workings of the playing surface, and the reason it is how it is now.

That’s really informative, thank you. Another example of where the club didn’t think this season would ever start.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Playing Surface

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.