Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Optimism!!
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 287 Guests

Optimism!!

This thread currently has 5,030 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
January 3, 2021, 11:06am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Boris Johnson
The defence is rubbish...Dont be surprised to see Waterfall, Preston and Hendrie replaced.

Any chance we can replace you Boris? We would be willing to give you a free transfer to IrnBru

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
paramariner
January 3, 2021, 1:34pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +197
Gold Stars: 8
Still think our biggest defensive problem is our left flank. It's pretty obvious that team's identify youngster Preston as a weak link, as I've said before he does not cut out crosses from wide players and  this can result in goals like yesterday's for Cambridge.  Also, as much as Pollock is a very good player at this level he is let down badly by his lack of pace, being easily outrun by a guy in his 30s? for the 2nd.  I think if Preston is going to continue he needs support from midfielders tracking back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
RonMariner
January 3, 2021, 1:41pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,865
Gold Stars: 231
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I can't share the op's optimism.

We lack quality in defense, midfield and attack. We need to strengthen in all of those areas I'm afraid.

Some of the younger players do have potential, but we are in a tough relegation dog fight and need proven experience, guile, and quality to get us out of this mess.

The current squad simply don't posses those attributes in anything like sufficient quantity.

I maintain that we need six new players.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
toontown
January 3, 2021, 1:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from RonMariner
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I can't share the op's optimism.

We lack quality in defense, midfield and attack. We need to strengthen in all of those areas I'm afraid.

Some of the younger players do have potential, but we are in a tough relegation dog fight and need proven experience, guile, and quality to get us out of this mess.

The current squad simply don't posses those attributes in anything like sufficient quantity.

I maintain that we need six new players.  

I would totally agree.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
LondonMariner43
January 3, 2021, 1:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,979
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from Boris Johnson
The defence is rubbish...Dont be surprised to see Waterfall, Preston and Hendrie replaced.

Hendrie is a massive presence for us.  First name on the team sheet every week

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
fishcake63
January 3, 2021, 3:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
think hendrie waterfall more than good enough , a large % of goals coming down otherside preston had no left side midfielder willing to help him out , we need one in quickly but not sure easy to find in january
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
Mayaman
January 3, 2021, 3:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from HarrogateMariner

Completely agree with this. For me the worst culprits (players) for our current form are the experienced players who should be playing far better, Rose the biggest culprit. He has never looked like a promotion winning player. For what we need right now, based on players we have and not including signings, Spokes and Clifton should be first choice in the middle for the reasons you outline. I would have Hewitt alongside Pollock at the back.

I do not blame the young and non league players for our position. Who knows what Holloway said to them when they signed (they probably had no idea) but I doubt they expected to play many games this season. Were we have been let down is the form of the more experienced players such as Rose, Williams, Bennett, Green. If these all played to their previous standards it would be much easier for the younger and non league players to play alongside.

Overall, I do believe Hurst will get us out of this and there was some positives today. However I also don't think we will see loads of signings this month. I think Hurst almost hinted at this in his post match interview when saying he only wants players prepared to battle and fight. It's going to be hard to find exactly what we need in 4 weeks.

First goal yesterday Rose didn't even bear down on the Cambridge striker. No effort whatsoever

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 28
arryarryarry
January 3, 2021, 3:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,052
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Mayaman

First goal yesterday Rose didn't even bear down on the Cambridge striker. No effort whatsoever

I have to agree with that, he may make some nice passes but for me, I don't know whether it is a case of not being fit enough or past it but defensively making tackles he is quite poor.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
arryarryarry
January 3, 2021, 3:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,052
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Sinkfortheladies
That second half performance today has filled me, normally the pessimistic type, with hopeful optimism that we have the characters in the squad, before any additions to be able to have a successful January on the pitch in what is arguably the biggest month in recent memory for GTFC.

I do not necessarily think that we need to make as many signings as some people have mentioned.
With the potential return to training next week of Macca, Wright and Spokes added onto the impressive second half, in which we were the better team against a strong Cambridge side.

All efforts throughout the next couple of days will undoubtedly be focused on bringing in a centre forward or two and if that turns out to be the only business done, I would be happy.

Yes, there is probably need for another Left Back to challenge Preston and maybe a Central Midfielder who can get on the ball and create.

That being said, I do believe that with ;

Macca
Hendrie Pollock Waterfall Preston
Morais Clifton Spokes Wright
          New Signing x2

That is a group of 9 players that have enough quality and character to gain us valuable points this month and push us on into the rest of the season.

UTM

That back four has let in some very poor goals recently.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
HertsGTFC
January 3, 2021, 4:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,020
Gold Stars: 232
Quoted from Sinkfortheladies
That second half performance today has filled me, normally the pessimistic type, with hopeful optimism that we have the characters in the squad, before any additions to be able to have a successful January on the pitch in what is arguably the biggest month in recent memory for GTFC.

I do not necessarily think that we need to make as many signings as some people have mentioned.
With the potential return to training next week of Macca, Wright and Spokes added onto the impressive second half, in which we were the better team against a strong Cambridge side.

All efforts throughout the next couple of days will undoubtedly be focused on bringing in a centre forward or two and if that turns out to be the only business done, I would be happy.

Yes, there is probably need for another Left Back to challenge Preston and maybe a Central Midfielder who can get on the ball and create.

That being said, I do believe that with ;

Macca
Hendrie Pollock Waterfall Preston
Morais Clifton Spokes Wright
          New Signing x2

That is a group of 9 players that have enough quality and character to gain us valuable points this month and push us on into the rest of the season.

UTM

I get what you’re saying but think the LHS needs to be stronger with more experience.

Though Clifton is one of our own and full of energy he’s still massively under developed in knowing where to run to and when, not his fault just an output of not being deployed in a fixed position for a few games on the bang.

We need a ball winner and a ball player in the middle I’ve not seen enough of spokes to understand if he’s either. I was encouraged yesterday by the way Morais & Hendrie linked up.

Not only has Paul got a problem re the 2 strikers apart from Morais we need to add a couple of more that can get the ball in the right places.

Still plenty of games left but we MUST start winning soon as Crofty quite rightly pointed out yesterday losing becomes a habit.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Optimism!!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.