5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
January 3, 2021, 8:52pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Scannell won't be ready either, and I doubt Wright will have 90 mins in him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 49
Kris2
January 3, 2021, 9:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from davmariner
How the intercourse are we going to get Toto? He’s playing and occasionally captaining Ipswich.

That's not even mentioning all the stuff he's said about the fans during his last spell and the stick he got for it when he visited BP.  

I think he'd rather play for anybody else but us and he's far beyond our level anyway.

Amond I could believe would come back for the right deal as I don't think he really wanted to leave in the first place but felt disrespected by the offer he got. Knows he'd get a hero's welcome if he came back but it'd have to be for the right reasons.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 49
Nutsy
January 3, 2021, 9:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +158
Gold Stars: 5
Wright is a Hurst-style winger.. hard working, and a certain degree of unpredictability - he'll be up and down the right wing, tracking back and bombing up - that Is what we need in a game - mixed in with Morais and Scannell's intelligence:

It might be a 4-2-3-1 with Scannell-Morais-Wright?

Haven't seen much of Morais, but surely would suit the number 10 role?

Hendrie has gone under the radar really, but he has been an exceptionally reliable right-back for us.

I would love a Gregor Robertson-esque LB, as Luke is essentially the RB version of Gregor.

As I said in the first post, a defender LIKE Toto, with some pace and power would be ideal.

We can't rely on Hanson to be a reliable starter so, as many have said, a striker is crucial.

I have no doubt that Hurst is the man to keep us up.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 49
HertsGTFC
January 3, 2021, 9:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Hurst will bring new faces in for sure. Whether it’s his first choices remain to be seen and if I’m honest he’ll be lucky to get all his first picks for numerous reasons. He’ll then need them to click which will no doubt need a lot of luck.

Let’s not get sucked into thinking that half a dozen super heroes are coming into the club to save the day Hurst will bring in players that can integrate and work alongside the players we have now that are capable of performing better, there are quite a few of these still I believe.

I’m hopeful that we’ll see a lift in performance from the existing squad not only because better players are coming in but also Hurst will build an environment where people are on the same page, unified and start to trust each other, something that was missing under Holloway as I firmly believe the players didn’t trust him.

Like us all I’d prefer that we move people on rather than paying the wages of a shadow squad if he has to split them but if he does knowing that there is a pool or reserves might just push the first team squad harder, plus it might get the duffers to push their agents to get them a move anyway.  

The big question and challenge is can all this be done to save us from the drop, let’s see.

His appointment may divide opinion but it’s clear he knows what he wants to do and unlike Holloway improving the team and winning games will be the foremost priority.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 49
sam gy
January 3, 2021, 9:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Nutsy
Wright is a Hurst-style winger.. hard working, and a certain degree of unpredictability - he'll be up and down the right wing, tracking back and bombing up - that Is what we need in a game - mixed in with Morais and Scannell's intelligence:

Agreed, I like Max and really want to succeed, but getting a bit concerned about his injury issues...seems to barely be able to string more than a couple of games together this season, and think he had a pretty lengthy layoff last season too didn’t he?

Hopefully he can kick on

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 49
Poojah
January 3, 2021, 9:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,895
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from Nutsy

It might be a 4-2-3-1 with Scannell-Morais-Wright?

Haven't seen much of Morais, but surely would suit the number 10 role?

Hendrie has gone under the radar really, but he has been an exceptionally reliable right-back for us.

I would love a Gregor Robertson-esque LB, as Luke is essentially the RB version of Gregor.

As I said in the first post, a defender LIKE Toto, with some pace and power would be ideal.

We can't rely on Hanson to be a reliable starter so, as many have said, a striker is crucial.

I have no doubt that Hurst is the man to keep us up.

UTM

Wright I think, most importantly, is a winger - his challenge since breaking through is that we’ve never played that formation. I agree he looks a Hurst-style player, and a shift to 442 should suit him.

Morais for me is the only quality crosser of a ball we have so needs to be kept largely out wide though perhaps a bit of a Scott Neilson-esque free role might work. I say that, quality crosses are worth nothing if there’s no one with the movement or aerial ability to get on the end of them. Clearly James Hanson would fit that bill, but there remain huge question marks as to whether we’ll see him again in any meaningful way.

I’ve felt Preston’s done ok, if perhaps a little green at times. The more I’ve thought about it though, I do think some more experienced solidity on the left would do us no harm.

I still think that a standout signing in central midfield is a key ingredient. For all the players we have who can play there, I don’t see anyone capable of taking a game by the scruff of the neck and dictating play, much less do anything creative. George Williams came here with good pedigree but has looked anonymous and powderpuff for me.

My gut feel tells me that getting that piece of the jigsaw right will make a real difference at both ends. Absolutely no doubting we need to become more robust at the back and more threatening up top, but if the core isn’t right the impact of any reinforcements there will be diluted.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 49
HertsGTFC
January 3, 2021, 9:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Kris2

That's not even mentioning all the stuff he's said about the fans during his last spell and the stick he got for it when he visited BP.  

I think he'd rather play for anybody else but us and he's far beyond our level anyway.

Amond I could believe would come back for the right deal as I don't think he really wanted to leave in the first place but felt disrespected by the offer he got. Knows he'd get a hero's welcome if he came back but it'd have to be for the right reasons.

The only way Amond would come back is if Newport get promoted and he can’t get a place in the side so with the Windows that’s 12 months away. He may not be starting now but I’ll guarantee you he’ll start when they play Brighton next Sunday.

Also with no supporters at the game the hero worship would be confined to social media, which is there already.

Toto? In reality it’s nothing to do with a supposed minority of the support its just that he’s too good to play in the lower half of league 2 in all reality.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 49
oochiad
January 3, 2021, 9:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
I know it’s a forum for people to express their views but some of the suggestions are somewhat pie in the sky!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 49
HertsGTFC
January 3, 2021, 9:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Wright I think, most importantly, is a winger - his challenge since breaking through is that we’ve never played that formation. I agree he looks a Hurst-style player, and a shift to 442 should suit him.

Morais for me is the only quality crosser of a ball we have so needs to be kept largely out wide though perhaps a bit of a Scott Neilson-esque free role might work. I say that, quality crosses are worth nothing if there’s no one with the movement or aerial ability to get on the end of them. Clearly James Hanson would fit that bill, but there remain huge question marks as to whether we’ll see him again in any meaningful way.

I’ve felt Preston’s done ok, if perhaps a little green at times. The more I’ve thought about it though, I do think some more experienced solidity on the left would do us no harm.

I still think that a standout signing in central midfield is a key ingredient. For all the players we have who can play there, I don’t see anyone capable of taking a game by the scruff of the neck and dictating play, much less do anything creative. George Williams came here with good pedigree but has looked anonymous and powderpuff for me.

My gut feel tells me that getting that piece of the jigsaw right will make a real difference at both ends. Absolutely no doubting we need to become more robust at the back and more threatening up top, but if the core isn’t right the impact of any reinforcements there will be diluted.

I think we could really do with someone like Embelton who always wanted the ball and went looking for it making himself available for the CB’s and players trying to build stuff down the flanks and if that wasn’t on when he had the ball he’d try and move forward with it whilst others ran off him.

It’s unlikely we’ll attract a senior player who can do this so I hope Paul and his network have some good connections in the a academy system.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 49
Poojah
January 3, 2021, 9:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,895
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think we could really do with someone like Embelton who always wanted the ball and went looking for it making himself available for the CB’s and players trying to build stuff down the flanks and if that wasn’t on when he had the ball he’d try and move forward with it whilst others ran off him.

It’s unlikely we’ll attract a senior player who can do this so I hope Paul and his network have some good connections in the a academy system.

Embleton, frustratingly, has hardly kicked a first team ball since he left us - he’s made two Papa John’s Trophy (who even knew it was called that?) appearances this season and that’s it.

Not the worst shout in the world.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Squad

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.