4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
buckstown
January 1, 2021, 2:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,237
Gold Stars: 80
By the way I was at Braintree "that night" with 3 generations of my family and we were truly dreadful. However, think I'm right in saying Hearn hadn't scored by that stage but he was the only positive from a shambles. Hope Ira Jackson can reproduce the same impact
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 33
HertsGTFC
January 1, 2021, 3:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Chrisblor
Think we're overestimating our defence - we've got the second worst defensive record in the league, only behind Oldham (who we couldn't even score against ourselves!). I don't think our 'best' back 5 of Preston, Pollock, Waterfall, Hendrie and McKeown is anywhere near good enough. Personally I'd like to see Preston replaced with someone a lot more solid and Waterfall moved to 3rd choice behind a new and much better centre half.

I think Pollock, Hendrie and Waterfall with competition will prove to be good enough. Preston is learning. They all need to start working as a unit and they need better support from their mid field team mates. At minimum we need another CB,  a left back and a utility defender this might have to stop Hewitt helping out and allow him to add more value in mid field.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 33
A Brace Of Tees
January 1, 2021, 3:59pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +706
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Chrisblor
Think we're overestimating our defence - we've got the second worst defensive record in the league, only behind Oldham (who we couldn't even score against ourselves!). I don't think our 'best' back 5 of Preston, Pollock, Waterfall, Hendrie and McKeown is anywhere near good enough. Personally I'd like to see Preston replaced with someone a lot more solid and Waterfall moved to 3rd choice behind a new and much better centre half.

I think that's too simplistic.

Our defence isn't too bad - the forwards and midfield are the problem. A team defends from the front, but if you have forwards who can't hold up the ball and midfielders who are pushed aside like matchsticks, then our defence is going to be left horribly exposed.

Apart from Preston who always seems to be caught out of position, I think the rest of the defence is quite capable of keeping clean sheets - if there is some half decent protection in front of them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 33
MuddyWaters
January 1, 2021, 4:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
There’s about 6 or 7 who are fit and good enough. Hanson, Scannell and Wright would be a decent front three in their own right. Problem is lack of quality in the front 6 whether or not that’s in 442 or 433 and lack of application in a couple of them who should be doing better/more (Williams and Bennett)

I think we need 6 signings, probably a left back and centre back, some energy in midfield and a couple of strikers.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Year New Era

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.