3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Epworth Mariner
December 28, 2020, 9:42am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +669
Gold Stars: 58
Just announced they are keeping their interims until further notice......
Logged Offline
Private Message
WOZOFGRIMSBY
December 28, 2020, 9:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,028
Gold Stars: 190
Hurst has been brought in to 6/4 to be the next town boss.

Now, I’ve no problem with him coming in, it’s just deputy Doig joining as well.

Toto and Jon Nolan have been bit part players this season for Ipswich (according to an Ipswich supporting mate) so maybe they would be possible targets?

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
Epworth Mariner
December 28, 2020, 10:01am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +669
Gold Stars: 58
Doig was pretty good at centre half when he played......Hurst left back.....
Disley centre mid
Tartan 40’s time again!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
December 28, 2020, 10:23am
Guest User
Thought Sol Campbell was watching them.
Reply: 3 - 25
Posh Harry
December 28, 2020, 10:35am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,376
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Hurst has been brought in to 6/4 to be the next town boss.

Now, I’ve no problem with him coming in, it’s just deputy Doig joining as well.

Toto and Jon Nolan have been bit part players this season for Ipswich (according to an Ipswich supporting mate) so maybe they would be possible targets?

No chance with the salaries they will be on now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
Mikey_345
December 28, 2020, 10:35am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,583
Gold Stars: 113
Get the band back together Paul!

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
aldi_01
December 28, 2020, 10:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
A crocked Jon Nolan would still be better....we haven’t had a midfielder that good since he left...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
Ipswin
December 28, 2020, 11:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Nolan has been MOM a number of times this season in fact their poor form has coincided with his recent injuries When fit he is an important player for Ipswich. Toto has been in and out of the team due to having a good game then a disaster (he has given away too many penalties) but he is part of the squad now after being on loan and available last season.

I'd have Nolan back in a Flash

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
ginnywings
December 28, 2020, 11:07am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Nolan the Lincoln reject. He'll never amount to anything.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
Poojah
December 28, 2020, 12:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,901
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from ginnywings
Nolan the Lincoln reject. He'll never amount to anything.  

I’m trying to think of a player who was as ill received on his day of signing that went on to be a better player than Jon Nolan, and I’m struggling.

People were pretty underwhelmed by the signing of Craig Clay who went on to do well for us, but he wasn’t quite in the same league as Nolan.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
ginnywings
December 28, 2020, 12:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Poojah

I’m trying to think of a player who was as ill received on his day of signing that went on to be a better player than Jon Nolan, and I’m struggling.

People were pretty underwhelmed by the signing of Craig Clay who went on to do well for us, but he wasn’t quite in the same league as Nolan.

Quite.

Even when he had been in the team for a while, and was clearly showing what a good signing he was, some fans were still saying he was rubbish. Beggars belief.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
Todmorden Mariner
December 28, 2020, 12:34pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +72
Quoted from Poojah

Sir Paul Futcher

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
monkeyboy
December 28, 2020, 12:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Todmorden Mariner

Sir Paul Futcher

Grew in tod and mytholmroyd and went to Tod high.

Miss royd but not tod so much. Happy valley
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
Nelly GTFC
December 28, 2020, 1:02pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,773
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Poojah
Leyton Orient doing okay with him in the team, Clay played in 75% of league games this season from the start with the odd game coming off late.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
TAGG
December 28, 2020, 8:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
What is this thing with going back??
Is it just a Grimsby thing?
The last time we went back to a former manager that went fuckin great.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
HertsGTFC
December 28, 2020, 8:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,020
Gold Stars: 232
Quoted from Poojah

Nolan is a good player and once he got some fitness it could be argued he was the difference in the run up to and on the day of the play offs. It’s hard to think of a better midfield player we’ve had since.

I was really angry at the end of the play off final when he didn’t run the ball into the corner and chose to lay it off to Hoban to shoot ......... I was however delighted that he ignored my advice and the various 4 letter words that accompanied it.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
promotion plaice
December 28, 2020, 8:21pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,085
Gold Stars: 201

I wonder if Hurst will be at the Oldham game.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
Poojah
December 28, 2020, 8:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from TAGG
What is this thing with going back??
Is it just a Grimsby thing?
The last time we went back to a former manager that went fuckin great.

The last time we tried anything it went fúckin great. Since Hurst left we've tried...

- Up and coming non-league manager
- Experienced former Town manager
- Hungry young coach-come-manager looking to make a name in the game
- High-profile, big name manager

It does beg the question, given that since 2006 we've had 10 permanent managers and not one of them has managed to get us to finish higher than 14th in League Two, whether the problem lies somewhere other than the managers themselves. It's particularly odd given that barring Neil Woods and Slade mkII the bulk of our supporters were happy with each appointment at the outset.

If we go on average attendances for the last season before it was curtailed, we rank 72nd out of 92 clubs in the league pyramid. Yet at no point in the last fourteen and a half years have we finished any higher than 78th (and usually quite a bit lower). That's some impressive and mightily consistent underachievement right there. Meanwhile, Wycombe who had a virtually identical average attendance to our own the last time they were in League Two find themselves in the Championship.

Just some food for thought...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
TAGG
December 28, 2020, 9:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Poojah

The last time we tried anything it went fúckin great. Since Hurst left we've tried...

- Up and coming non-league manager
- Experienced former Town manager
- Hungry young coach-come-manager looking to make a name in the game
- High-profile, big name manager

It does beg the question, given that since 2006 we've had 10 permanent managers and not one of them has managed to get us to finish higher than 14th in League Two, whether the problem lies somewhere other than the managers themselves. It's particularly odd given that barring Neil Woods and Slade mkII the bulk of our supporters were happy with each appointment at the outset.

If we go on average attendances for the last season before it was curtailed, we rank 72nd out of 92 clubs in the league pyramid. Yet at no point in the last fourteen and a half years have we finished any higher than 78th (and usually quite a bit lower). That's some impressive and mightily consistent underachievement right there. Meanwhile, Wycombe who had a virtually identical average attendance to our own the last time they were in League Two find themselves in the Championship.

Just some food for thought...

All down to Fenty

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
arryarryarry
December 28, 2020, 9:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,052
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Poojah

Not everybody thought that.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
Poojah
December 28, 2020, 9:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Not everybody thought that.

Perhaps not, but it was a seriously underwhelming signing on paper. He'd been sent out on loan from a struggling Lincoln side to Wrexham who were struggling even more at the time, and subsequently sent back.

You have to give credit to Hurst on that one - he saw something that few others did at that time.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
lew chaterleys lover
December 28, 2020, 9:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,793
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from promotion plaice

I wonder if Hurst will be at the Oldham game.

I hope not unless he is sat next to Shutes!
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
LouthMariner
December 28, 2020, 10:56pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +104
Gold Stars: 3
Nolan was and still is leagues above us. He made the difference in us getting promoted, creativity and a good dead ball, something we had been missing year on year. We gave him a platform to be seen, to push on higher. Right now I would be happy to get some more Nolan's, even if its just until the end of the season. Would beat the lot we have right now.

As for Hurst, would have him back in a heart beat. I wasn't the biggest fan, found his style boring snd a little negative. But after the shambles we have had since he left, he knows how to put a team together, a team that play together. Honestly, that's all I want to see, a team that tries hard and play together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
KingstonMariner
December 29, 2020, 1:06am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Poojah

Perhaps not, but it was a seriously underwhelming signing on paper. He'd been sent out on loan from a struggling Lincoln side to Wrexham who were struggling even more at the time, and subsequently sent back.

You have to give credit to Hurst on that one - he saw something that few others did at that time.

I never knew anything about him until I turned up at Bromley and thought he looks promising. Comments on here seemed to be roughly evenly split between pro and anti. Maybe 60% in favour.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
Gainsbro_Mariner
December 29, 2020, 10:50am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,459
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Poojah

I seem to remember there being people genuinely underwhelmed at Lawrence when he signed Micky Boulding in 2001. Seeing as he was an ex Tennis pro and although steady at Mansfield he wasn't anything to write home about.

Gary Cohen on loan from Gretna, hardly any playing time previously in his career, turned out to be decent before getting injured.

They are the only two I can think of off the top of my head.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
Poojah
December 29, 2020, 12:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner

I seem to remember there being people genuinely underwhelmed at Lawrence when he signed Micky Boulding in 2001. Seeing as he was an ex Tennis pro and although steady at Mansfield he wasn't anything to write home about.

Gary Cohen on loan from Gretna, hardly any playing time previously in his career, turned out to be decent before getting injured.

They are the only two I can think of off the top of my head.

They’re both great shouts. I remember watching Boulding make his debut in a mad 3-3 at Stockport and wondered where we’d found him - unreal pace and eventually after a bit of coaching a great striker’s instinct.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bradford Manager announcement

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.