Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Holloway resigns  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 291 Guests

Holloway resigns  (merged)

This thread currently has 23,683 views. Print
18 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Zmariner
December 23, 2020, 12:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from 123614
It saddens me how everyone is keen to jump on this post and slag IH off.  It's quite possible that the new owners are bringing in their own manager and therefore Ollie has had to bite the bullet and resign before getting sacked.  

I respect Ollie and what he has tried to do here at GTFC, I only hope that the new owners and manager have the same passion for the club as he did.  Thanks Ollie.

In the cold light of day, he did an absolutely rubbish job
Also if he thought new owners were going to sack him, why not hang around and take the payoff it would’ve been substantial. Personally, delighted he has gone and look forward to a manager who talks a little bit of sense as opposed to his rambling ball crap. Will be a pleasure Do not have to listen to his interviews with John Tondeur who asks sensible questions and gets snapped at  on most questions by the clown . I guess he will revert back to media where they enjoy a jester, hopefully he never manages another professional football club again and good riddance utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 178
Ipswin
December 23, 2020, 12:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from golfer
Has he put his house up for sale  ( that he was supposedly buying )

I suspect that was all bullshit too (that he was buying I mean) I wonder if he wife ever wanted to move up to N Lincs TBH

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 178
Bigdog
December 23, 2020, 12:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I'd finally had enough of him when he substituted Bennett last night..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 178
Welwynmariner
December 23, 2020, 1:20pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
Good news that he has quit. Especially as we don't have to pay off his contract. Should have gone some weeks ago and certainly after the Southend match.

It's far better that he goes now rather than wasting the up-coming January transfer window (if indeed any of that goes ahead with the spread of Coronavirus).

In the meantime Dave Moore should be asked to take over with Rodger/Davies/Woods as support. In the longer term I wouldn't mind Limbrick coming back, Hurst and Doig (or even Doig on his own), the Cowleys (unlikely but you can wish). Maybe Slavan Bilic would like to stay in the UK in a post-Brexit world?

Any change has to be for the better
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 178
HertsGTFC
December 23, 2020, 1:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Poojah
All very predictable given his statement last week. I'm not quite sure what the sub-plot is here, but I'm fairly confident that the truth lies somewhere in between him having simply bitten off more than he can chew and the outing of the Alex May deal putting paid to a deal which would have seen him benefit financially. I'm not really a conspiracy theorist, but the fact he came here when he did seemed odd at the time and so I'm inclined to believe that there may be something in the latter.

Ultimately, it's a convenient narrative that allows him to walk away with his reputation intact in the eyes of the wider footballing world. I am not prepared to forget however that he came here full of bluster and potentially on false pretences, and left the club with a seriously underwhelming, unbalanced, oversized squad bereft of confidence and facing a very real threat of relegation back into the non-league abyss.

That's his legacy for me. A man who I had great respect for even before he joined our club just lost all of it. He is no higher in my estimation now than Mike Newell, and that is some achievement.

Whatever you make of his resignation statement, he is not telling the whole truth.

Completely agree, and as he clearly can't stop his gob moving before he engages his brain I would expect to see him bad mouth us in the media at every opportunity,

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 178
RonMariner
December 23, 2020, 1:47pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,860
Gold Stars: 230
So what did Holloway actually achieve?

A team which even clubs in the bottom five can beat. A team that was not organised enough to avoid giving away soft goals almost every match. A team lacking any consistent goal scoring threat, even against rubbish opposition.

The truth is that  many of the better performers recently have been players already here when he joined; Hendrie, Hewitt, Pollock, Wright, Waterfall and maybe Clifton.

Not only did he fail to recruit enough quality players, Moralis being the best of them, but he chopped and changed the team from game to game and made inexplicable substitutions, at times seemingly at random, which often served to disrupt the team.

It's very bad timing to walk out right now, but at least it gives an incoming manager chance, albeit against a tight very deadline, to use the January window to improve the team and save our league status.

I was never a fan of his bizarre interviews. Frankly I found them embarrassing.

He tenure is another farcical chapter in the sad decline of our club.

Good riddance.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 178
Ashby mariner
December 23, 2020, 1:49pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 8
Without reading every page I don't know if its been mentioned but part of him quitting maybe he just wanted to go back home. Another big lockdown coming miles away from his kids and grandkids. His wife probably hasn't settled here for those reasons too. I remember being in the club shop when he gave my son a hat and saying he was 100% commited to giving it everything he's got here. Shame it  didn't work out right man wrong time maybe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 178
arryarryarry
December 23, 2020, 1:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Will he appear on EFL on Quest tonight?
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 178
promotion plaice
December 23, 2020, 1:56pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201

Club shop.....flat caps:

By one get ten free  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 178
arryarryarry
December 23, 2020, 2:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from promotion plaice

Club shop.....flat caps:

By one get ten free  

Private Message
Reply: 149 - 178
18 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Holloway resigns  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.