5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Ashby mariner
December 15, 2020, 10:30pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 8
My opinion may not be everyone's cup of tea but I  ldo t see the point in being rash. I would imagine he's already got more experienced layers lined up for January and I would say a few of these will be shown the door. The budget he his working with is probably on par with our league position. I woukd say alot if these players where probably the bottom of his target list. He showed what players he could attract last season like Benson, Glennon ect if he's given the funds to do so. Also he's managing 30 plus players with 1 inexperienced coach if he had a assistant it would help him no end. I bet he his use to having various coaches to work with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
davmariner
December 15, 2020, 10:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
We will go down if he’s given January to bring in more bad players.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 48
TAGG
December 15, 2020, 10:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
flipping no chance.
Signing excrement
Tactics excrement
Team selection excrement

Get rid now

The Club stinks of rotting corpses on and off the pitch

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 48
blundellpork
December 15, 2020, 10:35pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,668
Gold Stars: 32
He’s lost the plot and I can’t see him turning it around in however many games we give him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 48
Swansea_Mariner
December 15, 2020, 10:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,474
Gold Stars: 63
At a very minimum whether it's Ollie or someone new we need a full coaching team at the club, more staff more money spent.  The bargain basement approach does not work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 48
Rodley Mariner
December 15, 2020, 10:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
I think I agree Ashby. That second half was staggeringly bad and the squad is a mess. A lot of mistakes have clearly been made and I worry a bit about where IH is mentally. But I think I fear the alternative of sacking him midway through December and trusting Rod Hull and Emu to recruit a replacement who can come in and immediately do a lot of very important January business even more. It should give us some hope that we have been so poor and thrown away so many points and we're still not in the bottom 2. Won't be able to say that for long though. 4 points from Scunny amd Bradford needed.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 48
The_Laughing_Mariner
December 15, 2020, 10:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,047
Gold Stars: 10
Ollie was let down badly in the summer.
All his best players, Vernham, Hess,  Whitehouse were allowed to leave.
The board put covid clauses in the contracts putting off better players, Theo Robinson for example.
He wasn't allowed to sign players until we had a start date, by which time thecream had gone.  He had to get a lot of players in to cope with the tough set of fixtures, so he ought cheap hoping  to find a gem or two among his rough diamonds.
He lost his am not replaced
His senior strikers have been constantly injured
Confidence is shot.
Give him full support in the window.  With all that is happening in the boardroom we won't  have time to recruit  anew boss in time to make full benefit of the window.
Holloway in.. Board out

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 48
Madeleymariner
December 15, 2020, 10:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 51
Have to agree with you Laughing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 48
arryarryarry
December 15, 2020, 10:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Ashby mariner
My opinion may not be everyone's cup of tea but I  ldo t see the point in being rash. I would imagine he's already got more experienced layers lined up for January and I would say a few of these will be shown the door. The budget he his working with is probably on par with our league position. I woukd say alot if these players where probably the bottom of his target list. He showed what players he could attract last season like Benson, Glennon ect if he's given the funds to do so. Also he's managing 30 plus players with 1 inexperienced coach if he had a assistant it would help him no end. I bet he his use to having various coaches to work with.

Three points from that, didn't he say before the season started that his phone was red hot because of all the players that wanted to come play for him.?

Secondly, I thought we were near the budget limit?

Erm........he had an assistant but the club got rid.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 48
Withnail
December 15, 2020, 10:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Christ. Total shambles on and off the field.

At least the fraudster was run out of town.

Hopefully Fenty finally does the right thing and walks (won't hold my breath mind). Shutes, Pettit et al wrest control and there's a clean sweep of the board.

Part of me wants Holloway to stay (turn it around and succeed) so there's some form of stability and continuity at the club but I appreciate that sounds as madcap as some of Ollie's more ahem, colourful post match outbursts (sorry, interviews) taking the current results into account.

What happens now? Who knows... But what I do know, as a mate pointed out tonight, is never, ever put a shareholder in the dug out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 48
TownSNAFU5
December 15, 2020, 11:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Since he bought in the last crop of under-performing players, the Club, performances, results and his judgement have all deteriorated to unacceptable levels. Mostly down to Ollie.

Would you trust our league status on him getting good players in?  Are you sure?  History is against him.  We are in the last chance saloon? Everything is going south.

We need new leadership, new ideas and getting square pegs in square holes.  Building confidence and winning matches. These changes need to happen now - before we are in terminal decline.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 48
arryarryarry
December 16, 2020, 12:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ashby mariner
My opinion may not be everyone's cup of tea but I don't see the point in being rash. I would imagine he's already got more experienced layers lined up for January and I would say a few of these will be shown the door. The budget he his working with is probably on par with our league position. I woukd say alot if these players where probably the bottom of his target list. He showed what players he could attract last season like Benson, Glennon ect if he's given the funds to do so. Also he's managing 30 plus players with 1 inexperienced coach if he had a assistant it would help him no end. I bet he his use to having various coaches to work with.

I remember some saying that in 2010 when we were heading to the bottom of the league with Neil Woods. He can only be given so long before results improve or he has to go.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 48
WOZOFGRIMSBY
December 16, 2020, 1:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,023
Gold Stars: 190
Left with an impossible situation where (were we the only club?)  the COVID clause was put into contracts. That, am sorry if it rattles cages, is where he was left without any choice but to take a huge gamble on the players coming in.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 48
aldi_01
December 16, 2020, 6:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
It’s the constant excuse making that’s driven me to despair with him.

I don’t expect a manager to come out and just say his team are excrement but Christ, Holloway just blames everything else, the Covid excuse was being the first week of the season. Literally every club has been affected by it...just because our club decided against a normal approach to signing players, furloughed people later and returned to training later (what was the reason for this) doesn’t give us an excuse to justify how awful we are.

I’m not convinced under normal circumstances or with a slightly more forward thinking board we’d have signed some of this dross but he has and we’re stuck with it.

If Holloway hadn’t had a good third of his managerial being successful he’d have been hounded out by now. Reputation should only take him so far. He has to take some responsibility, even though the clubs mantra seems to be accept no responsibility or accountability. It’s always everything else’s fault.

Should he go? Who the intercourse knows? Who do you bring in? Could they do anything with this shower?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 48
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
December 16, 2020, 9:38am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +878
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from arryarryarry

Three points from that, didn't he say before the season started that his phone was red hot because of all the players that wanted to come play for him.?

Secondly, I thought we were near the budget limit?

Erm........he had an assistant but the club got rid.

1. Yes he did but unless Ollie is a hypnotist and has the ability to control the mind, which good or experienced players in their right mind would take a 25+% pay cut for the privelage of playing for us, when other clubs are offering a full wage. Ollie may be an experienced Manager but he is not a miracle worker.

2. It seems the goal posts are moving constantly depending on which interview you listen to.

3. Yes we eventually got rid of AL because the club didn't want to pay him his full wage after his refusal to take the 25% pay cut after furlough ended.

Its all down to the Board being a bunch of Ebeneezers and only giving Ollie one small piece of coal to work with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 48
chicaneuk
December 16, 2020, 9:47am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
Ollie was let down badly in the summer.
All his best players, Vernham, Hess,  Whitehouse were allowed to leave.
The board put covid clauses in the contracts putting off better players, Theo Robinson for example.
He wasn't allowed to sign players until we had a start date, by which time thecream had gone.  He had to get a lot of players in to cope with the tough set of fixtures, so he ought cheap hoping  to find a gem or two among his rough diamonds.
He lost his am not replaced
His senior strikers have been constantly injured
Confidence is shot.
Give him full support in the window.  With all that is happening in the boardroom we won't  have time to recruit  anew boss in time to make full benefit of the window.
Holloway in.. Board out

A bit of common sense. Despite screaming with frustration on the inside and wanting something to change, we won't do better than Holloway at this level especially given our current position... so should be given a chance to put it right.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 48
pontoonlew
December 16, 2020, 9:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
I really don't know which side of the fence I'm on with this.

On the one hand, Holloway was badly let down by the board (as were all who went before him) with their ridiculous approach to Covid. They took Covid as an opportunity to be as tight as possible and it's (predictably) come back to bite us on the bottom, he lost his best players because of this and I'm convinced that had Day not copulated up the retention of those players we'd be way further up the league than we are now.

However the bit that concerns me is that we're getting worse with the same players. After Cheltenham and Orient I was absolutely sure we were going to be in and around the play-offs. Windsor and Edwards were on absolute fire and we looked liked a young, hungry and fit side. Since that point we're been completely and utterly dog excrement and the only thing that has changed is that Holloway has had more time with them. Southends second yesterday summed it up for me, a player lurked on the edge of the box for ages whilst we stood and watched him. We've done that so many times this season, that's not just players being thick, it's players having absolutely no guidance as to what to do in that situation which boils right down to Holloway.

I'm willing to give him January, I think it's our only choice and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't get the window he wanted but my god we've got some catching up to do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 48
Croxton
December 16, 2020, 10:14am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,019
Gold Stars: 35
Olly says he takes responsibility for his mistakes but is it fair for him to take the flak for the Covid clause, loss of players from last season, furlough of AL, lack of preseason and friendlies? He was pitched into a situation for which his previous experience counted little. Unfortunately, his ego/pride and adherence to tried and trusted training methods have not gone down well.
The brutal significance of Halford's goal and play acting to get Waterfall sent off after training with the town squad was a knife to the heart for Holloway. Has he got what it takes now to manage the trimming of his squad and recruitment of hardened L2 players? What if they don't want to do the shuttle runs to prove their worth?
I really want him to stay and turn the club round but he has to engage with his coaching staff and review his recruitment, training and preparation methods.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 48
grimsby pete
December 16, 2020, 10:23am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
I am afraid I am in the same boat as Ollie.

I am very confused and have no idea how we are going to get out of this mess.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 48
Madeleymariner
December 16, 2020, 10:28am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from grimsby pete
I am afraid I am in the same boat as Ollie.

I am very confused and have no idea how we are going to get out of this mess.

Thats an age thing Pete  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 48
TownSNAFU5
December 16, 2020, 11:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
After numerous baffling team selections and rotations, we had poor performances and even poorer results.  As someone said, losing to the basket-case bottom team illustrates where we are going in the future.

Systematic changes needed.  The sooner the better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 48
Mikey_345
December 16, 2020, 11:20am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,576
Gold Stars: 113
I think all the talk that Holloway cannot bring players in is a bit of a red herring - he has proven this last January with some excellent additions which really improved a poor side. Benson, Glennon, Clarke, Gamston, Grandin...

My honest opinion is the club have asked him to work around some ridiculous financial requirements (covid clause) this summer and we have been far to cautious. The fact he wasn't allowed to re sign some of those that were here last year and we let Vernam and Clarke go also speak to this - the board penny pinched on Vernam in particular. As they do all the time, Amond, Magnay, Coulson there is a list you could name.

We need to realise that it isn't always the management team that create this. Time and again managers haven't been backed (conditioning coach for example) which has lead to us fighting at the wrong end of the league - replacing a manager whether its Holloway at the moment or if was anyone else wouldn't really fix the inherent problem we have with how our club is run.

My thoughts are we back him in January to correct the mistakes he's admitted hes made and focus on the change we need at the top. Bringing anyone else in wont address that fact and we will be here again in 12 months time and 12 months after that having the same discussions we have every year.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 48
HistonMariner
December 16, 2020, 11:28am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +558
Gold Stars: 13
I think for better or worse, IH  could walk if JF went.  I think the relationship was very significant in IH coming to Blundell.

I don’t doubt his integrity.  I don’t doubt his desire. I have no doubt there have been big errors made, particularly with the benefit of hindsight.  
And things can change very quickly - a week ago inexperienced, non league players who weren’t fit and ready, were typically headless panic decisions made after a late start to recruitment.  Now Jackson Jnr is the successor to Newport’s talisman.

I think - and it comes through in the last 2/3 post match interviews - he is accepting of his mistakes, he is (now) accepting the gravity of the situation, his appreciation of this level of football has been well and truly rammed home, we need some good fortune. I believe in his determination to get it right.

If you believe JF and IH should go, so be it.   But as far as pitch matters are concerned I THINK IH should continue.

Those who disagree, a list of those who would welcome the challenge would be very instructive.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 22 - 48
ginnywings
December 16, 2020, 11:52am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Come on people, we all know this club will jump all over any excuse to trim things. Furlough, covid clause: manna from heaven to this swingeing lot. How many decent players have we lost to short sighted penny pinching? Time and time and time again, we have been obsessed with balancing the books: making a profit, while being utter dross on the pitch. We jumped all over EFL suggestions of covid clauses and the salary cap; were probably first in the queue. All our managers have been working with one hand tied behind their backs, and if we bring in another, it will continue. Paul Hurst gave us a reset, entering the league with a decent squad and the chance to push on. We didn't and he left (for which we got the blame) and things have never recovered since.

We don't need a new manager, we need a new approach, and this current board have shown repeatedly that it won't happen. Again they are fiddling while Rome burns and relegation is looming. They never learn.

When was it we were going to be in the Championship Mr Day?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 48
Bradford Mariner
December 16, 2020, 11:53am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +88
Gold Stars: 2
People need to stop making excuses for Holloway and recognise he isn't the football saviour of this club.

From the beginning I didn't want Holloway as manager, I thought he was a clown and not a very funny one at that and I was also suspicious of his motives for wanting to manage a club in an area for which he has no affinity and no links. My belief then and now is that it was all about Holloway achieving the goal of 1000 games as a manager, GTFC is just a means to an end.

I found this article about Holloway which I thought was interesting.

https://bleacherreport.com/art.....d-manager-in-history

It's from some years back now but it sums up much of what we're experiencing.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 48
MuddyWaters
December 16, 2020, 12:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings
Come on people, we all know this club will jump all over any excuse to trim things. Furlough, covid clause: manna from heaven to this swingeing lot. How many decent players have we lost to short sighted penny pinching? Time and time and time again, we have been obsessed with balancing the books: making a profit, while being utter dross on the pitch. We jumped all over EFL suggestions of covid clauses and the salary cap; were probably first in the queue. All our managers have been working with one hand tied behind their backs, and if we bring in another, it will continue. Paul Hurst gave us a reset, entering the league with a decent squad and the chance to push on. We didn't and he left (for which we got the blame) and things have never recovered since.

We don't need a new manager, we need a new approach, and this current board have shown repeatedly that it won't happen. Again they are fiddling while Rome burns and relegation is looming. They never learn.

When was it we were going to be in the Championship Mr Day?

Two years in March Ginny - still time!!
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 48
lew chaterleys lover
December 16, 2020, 12:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Mikey_345
I think all the talk that Holloway cannot bring players in is a bit of a red herring - he has proven this last January with some excellent additions which really improved a poor side. Benson, Glennon, Clarke, Gamston, Grandin...

My honest opinion is the club have asked him to work around some ridiculous financial requirements (covid clause) this summer and we have been far to cautious. The fact he wasn't allowed to re sign some of those that were here last year and we let Vernam and Clarke go also speak to this - the board penny pinched on Vernam in particular. As they do all the time, Amond, Magnay, Coulson there is a list you could name.

We need to realise that it isn't always the management team that create this. Time and again managers haven't been backed (conditioning coach for example) which has lead to us fighting at the wrong end of the league - replacing a manager whether its Holloway at the moment or if was anyone else wouldn't really fix the inherent problem we have with how our club is run.

My thoughts are we back him in January to correct the mistakes he's admitted hes made and focus on the change we need at the top. Bringing anyone else in wont address that fact and we will be here again in 12 months time and 12 months after that having the same discussions we have every year.

Exactly. Every manager is handicapped by our ludicrous board. A while ago we would have been saying, if we got a really good manager, say like Ian Holloway with all his experience, we would still struggle. So it has proved.

Get better players in January, on normal contracts and then we should be ok. Get the board out as no manager in the history of managers will ever get us above the lower reaches of division 4 with this shower.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 48
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 16, 2020, 12:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
If I were Ollie I would be off down the motorway to somewhere sane. This club is as mad as a box of frogs. I would agree Ollie has made mistakes but nothing compared to the way the club has just floundered in the last 12 months. Go with good wishes Ollie, go to a town that hasn’t got its head up its bum.

As the song says “No Direction Home.”

The longer this goes on the more seriously do I consider the solution of it to go bust and start again. People keep chuntering  about a fans’ club and saying how well it has worked elsewhere so they would get the chance to shove money where their mouths are and try it. Will it work? Who knows. Grimsby is a law unto itself. Seems to me a lot of people in town and on here are much more interested in the personal and being right-on anti Tory than they are in the best for the club.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 48
December 16, 2020, 12:35pm
Guest User

The board have given Holloway hardly any chance of making this season a success. It was operation stay afloat. Or operation keep Fentys cash safe. However, I won’t critisise them too much for SOME of their decisions in the summer because I actually thought they were correct at the time. In hindsight I was wrong on this.

But even though Holloway was given a slim chance of making a success of this season, he has made a boat load of mistakes. He hasn’t been in this situation before, no one has, but I think he has tried to over think things. Too big a squad, too many changes etc etc... he seems to be very emotional and relies on his gut, bringing people together and giving them confidence and freedom, rather than a deep thinking tactical coach. He even admitted recently that limbrick and Davies were better planners than him. This scenario really hasn’t suited his management style.

Do these errors cost him his job. In my opinion not yet. But he needs a good January transfer window. The signing of morais gives me hope their are still a few gems out there. If we stay up, and when things get back to normal,  I would be confident Holloway could get us back to playing how we were In feb and March. And that was very entertaining to be fair to him.
Reply: 28 - 48
Ipswin
December 16, 2020, 12:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
If I were Ollie I would be off down the motorway to somewhere sane. This club is as mad as a box of frogs. .

He is the perfect fit then, if his managerial capabilities matched his eccentricities we'd be top of the table

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 48
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 16, 2020, 1:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

He is the perfect fit then, if his managerial capabilities matched his eccentricities we'd be top of the table

The way this club operates makes Ollie seem like Buddha

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 48
oochiad
December 16, 2020, 1:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
Ollie stays and the board goes, then we might have a chance but it’ll never happen......we’re doomed with this constant penny pinching.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 48
Withnail
December 16, 2020, 1:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
[quote=657]If I were Ollie I would be off down the motorway to somewhere sane. This club is as mad as a box of frogs. I would agree Ollie has made mistakes but nothing compared to the way the club has just floundered in the last 12 months. Go with good wishes Ollie, go to a town that hasn’t got its head up its bum.

As the song says “No Direction Home.”

Unfortunately I think there is an element of truth in this.  In my 40+ years of following Town, there has only been one league manager who can truly be described as having long-term success at the club. Buckley.

In. Four. Decades. That's not normal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 48
oochiad
December 16, 2020, 1:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
I mean if we change manager they’ll be given peanuts to work with, what’s the point? And then when we do find some decent players we lose them for one reason or another but always the boards fault. It really is looking like a pointless situation with this board as we’ll never move forward. I still think that Ollie should stay though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 48
earwigo
December 16, 2020, 1:28pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +101
I think he should stay. It’s like he’s trying to build a wall using a dinner knife as a trowel. The real problem is the cost cutting at top. Getting rid of the free loaders would be a great start. Don’t ask me how that is achieved I don’t know. Would a new manager be any better. Some say ( this man or that man)  he’d be ok until we lost 3 or 4 games then we’d hear sack the manager. And then repeat
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 48
Ipswin
December 16, 2020, 1:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from earwigo
Would a new manager be any better. Some say ( this man or that man)  he’d be ok until we lost 3 or 4 games then we’d hear sack the manager. And then repeat

Sadly that's the way football works (or rather in most cases doesn't work - ask Slavan Bilic)

Having a crazy disposition, a silly cap and equally strange accent combined with a tactical plan that none of the league's biggest squad can understand, the failings of which are covered up by a shortlist of overused excuses and some mad dream about 'a legacy' is not normally sufficient to make any manager immune from the sack

Only at Grimsby Town

Private Message
Reply: 35 - 48
December 16, 2020, 1:44pm
Guest User
Ollie needs (as i believe others have mentioned)  a  proper qualified assistant, hes taking on too much on himself.. Ollie wants us to succeed and like us hes hurting as you can hear in his interviews. The off field situation is unsettling all connected with GTFC. Give him a chance to get it right  now and in January.
Reply: 36 - 48
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 16, 2020, 1:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from 4055
Ollie needs (as i believe others have mentioned)  a  proper qualified assistant, hes taking on too much on himself.. Ollie wants us to succeed and like us hes hurting as you can hear in his interviews. The off field situation is unsettling all connected with GTFC. Give him a chance to get it right  now and in January.

Yes, we know that and I agree with you, in a parallel universe with a proper professional club board and funding. But he's here and here is now and he's on a hiding to nowt. so I sat if I was him I'd cut my losses, sod the club, go home and enjoy your bubble for Christmas.

To be honest the rest of us might as well follow suit and leave the club to fall apart by itself, or it is going to be a bloody miserable Christmas for us all.

Private Message
Reply: 37 - 48
KingstonMariner
December 16, 2020, 1:53pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
No. As that research showed that someone posted a link to the other week, it’s stability that brings success in a team. Changing the manager makes relatively little difference.

Since getting back in the League we’ve had: Hurst, Bignot, Slade and now Holloway, not including caretakers. 1 a year. Each time with the same result.

Deckchairs and Titanic spring to mind. Who’s fault is it we crashed into the iceberg in the first place? Are we going to do it again?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 48
heppy88
December 16, 2020, 1:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Bradford Mariner

I found this article about Holloway which I thought was interesting.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1823597-ian-holloway-possibly-the-most-overrated-manager-in

Thanks for the link Bradford, I would urge anyone who has not yet read it to do so.
Apart from Hurst, Fenty appears to have a weakness for Mavericks and in many ways bu!!shi!ers - Slade (twice), Bignot and unfortunately now Holloway. Lots of talk but very little substance. I believe Holloway needs a knowledgeable coaching team to make things happen. For this level Limberick could have been this man, the treatment of which was an utter disgrace. People hark back to the performances last season, but again I believe A. L was the catalyst for this. Regardless of who owns the club and if there is no additional coaching staff then, barring other teams going into administration, we will certainly be going down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 48
Ipswin
December 16, 2020, 2:16pm
Vodka Drinker
The last line of that last paragraph struck home

'So what next for a manager with three relegations on his CV? Aside from one season at Blackpool, Holloway's managerial career has been anything but successful. But perhaps there's one more chance for him to prove his critics wrong, providing he can find a club that's more interested in having a witty, likable manager than getting results on the pitch.'

Private Message
Reply: 40 - 48
lew chaterleys lover
December 16, 2020, 2:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from heppy88

Thanks for the link Bradford, I would urge anyone who has not yet read it to do so.
Apart from Hurst, Fenty appears to have a weakness for Mavericks and in many ways bu!!shi!ers - Slade (twice), Bignot and unfortunately now Holloway. Lots of talk but very little substance. I believe Holloway needs a knowledgeable coaching team to make things happen. For this level Limberick could have been this man, the treatment of which was an utter disgrace. People hark back to the performances last season, but again I believe A. L was the catalyst for this. Regardless of who owns the club and if there is no additional coaching staff then, barring other teams going into administration, we will certainly be going down.

Stuff like this makes me laugh. ALL managers fail. Alan Buckley at Rochdale and Lincoln and West Brom. Slaven Bilic (today's news) at any number of clubs. Lawrie Mac had a terrible time at Sunderland in his beloved North East. Hurst at Ipswich etc. etc.

Most clubs have bizarre things going on in the background, and I sometimes wonder how any manager creates a successful side when the board the fans and sometimes the players are pulling in different directions.

The fact remains that Ian Holloway is one of the most respected figures in the game, and for him to turn up here, a basket case club lorded over by a basket case owner defies logic.

However, we have got him and we could see last season the sort of player he could attract, and the great football we could play.

This season has not been normal; I like basket case so I will use that again - it has been a basket case season made many times worse by a basket case board.

The next few days will be critical. If Fenty somehow survives and intends to carry on, I might agree with RRFC and urge Ollie to walk away with his dignity, but if a new board can be formed surely Ollie could start again with us and get us moving?
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 48
Roast Em Bobby
December 16, 2020, 2:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,728
Gold Stars: 44
I really like the fact that he wants to play football properly and not just hoof it and play the percentages game. However, when you've got a bargain basement budget it is incredibly difficult to attract players good enough to play that way, and without good enough players it is a bit of a suicidal approach when you are in a relegation scrap..

I'm not sure if Holloway is pragmatic enough to abandon his principles a little bit and sign a few "dogs of war" types in the window, which I think we desperately need
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 48
devs
December 16, 2020, 3:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
What made me despair last night was the collapse in second half
We should/could have gone in at HT 3-1 up
But it's 1-1 - and you think "wrap this up second half" the,,, they are sh*te

They make a few tweaks - mainly strengthening midfield - and we are suddenly clueless
Created nothing - we looked hopeless

Surely our management team can respond to this?
Surely our players can figure things out?

But no

It all went to pot

Is that crap management or below average players?

The game was there for the taking

Martin Gritton (great pundit btw - and wasn't it great not having the Main Stand whinger Tondeur commentating)
said Southend are the worst team he had seen all season and he could see why they are bottom

True - two goals were lack of basic marking (again) and the 3rd was a calamity (again)

But it was the complete lack of any reaction to Southend's tactical switch that depressed me most

FFS - it wasn't like it was being overrun by Bayern Munich

Very very depressing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 48
arryarryarry
December 16, 2020, 3:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
I really like the fact that he wants to play football properly and not just hoof it and play the percentages game. However, when you've got a bargain basement budget it is incredibly difficult to attract players good enough to play that way, and without good enough players it is a bit of a suicidal approach when you are in a relegation scrap..

I'm not sure if Holloway is pragmatic enough to abandon his principles a little bit and sign a few "dogs of war" types in the window, which I think we desperately need

So why are we still doing it, we were still fannying about when we were losing last night.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 48
arryarryarry
December 16, 2020, 4:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from devs
What made me despair last night was the collapse in second half
We should/could have gone in at HT 3-1 up
But it's 1-1 - and you think "wrap this up second half" the,,, they are sh*te

They make a few tweaks - mainly strengthening midfield - and we are suddenly clueless
Created nothing - we looked hopeless

Surely our management team can respond to this?
Surely our players can figure things out?

But no

It all went to pot

Is that crap management or below average players?

The game was there for the taking

Martin Gritton (great pundit btw - and wasn't it great not having the Main Stand whinger Tondeur commentating)
said Southend are the worst team he had seen all season and he could see why they are bottom

True - two goals were lack of basic marking (again) and the 3rd was a calamity (again)

But it was the complete lack of any reaction to Southend's tactical switch that depressed me most

FFS - it wasn't like it was being overrun by Bayern Munich

Very very depressing

Spot on, even IH admitted they changed their tactics so why the frig didn't we react?

I think we only had one shot at goal in the second half and that was a free kick.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 48
devs
December 16, 2020, 5:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
They watch a different game... all designed to deflect attention away from issues
He keeps banging on about how many chances we wasted at Dagenham?
Did we?
Perhaps he's right but I am struggling to recall gilt-edged chances

Interesting footnote - Greg Halford scored their third.
He had been training with us a week.
IH wanted him to do the 'fitness' thing he does with all players
Halford refused - so he went to Southend where he's playing for free

If you think about that it's scary - couldn't give a toss attitude when asked to do something for the potential manager
How many more like that do we have?
Going gets tough - not interested...I can soon sod off to somewhere else

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 48
ginnywings
December 16, 2020, 5:16pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Halford was probably only on trial because he said he was prepared to play for free. That's the sort of wage demand we like.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 48
horsforthmariner
December 16, 2020, 5:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,638
Gold Stars: 9
There are some weird things happening - 1. The dropping of Mckeown. 2 Moshni? 3. Scannell's missing month 4. the Limbrick debacle. 5. Some of the passing around at the back 6. Too much chopping and changing. 7. Hess and Vernam
8. too many random players signed from terrible teams.

I hope that Holloway, if he stays, simplifies things, does a Jolley and gets the best out of this limited squad. The thing is it's kind of immaterial if he stays or goes. The problems of the club are really all about Fenty. Nothing more nothing less.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 48
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Holloway needs to be given more time

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.