2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
fishboyUTM
December 13, 2020, 6:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
James Mckeown (sorry I can't call him Macca, there is only one Macca) is a very good goalkeeper at this level in my opinion. I think we have more urgent areas of the side to sort out. The spine is weak, we need another centre back with a bit of pace ideally as Waterfall and Pollock are too similar, Idehen isn't ready for the first team and IH has got rid of Ohman and the mad bloke. The central midfield isn't as dynamic as I'd like and we urgently need two centre forwards in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 14
diehardmariner
December 14, 2020, 9:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from moosey_club
Forget the odd kick or two , did some miss or hit their target , was it better or worse than Macca....

ask yourself this, has the back four looked less jittery and more stable in the last 2 games ?  A good goalkeeper does more than stop shots , he organises the back four to prevent the shots coming in the first place.

I actually think Macca would have got to the ball and blocked the run and not given a penalty but the wider picture is more important.

Well summed up.

Collectively we've looked more robust in the last two games.  There actually appears to be some sort of communication and organisation going on too.  I like McKeown but Russell is far better with the ball at his feet, which is what Holloway is looking at.  Few occasions on Saturday where the defenders went back to Russell in positions where I suspect they would have been reluctant to do so with McKeown.

Agree on the penalty too.  I thought Russell was a bit slow off his line whereas McKeown is generally excellent in those situations.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 14
Tommy
December 14, 2020, 10:08am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
I was told once that the first/primary aim of a goalkeeper should be to not have to make save - i.e. organise the team in front of you so the opposition don't get to have a shot.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 14
December 14, 2020, 10:46am
Guest User
Quoted from moosey_club
Forget the odd kick or two , did some miss or hit their target , was it better or worse than Macca....

ask yourself this, has the back four looked less jittery and more stable in the last 2 games ?  A good goalkeeper does more than stop shots , he organises the back four to prevent the shots coming in the first place.

I actually think Macca would have got to the ball and blocked the run and not given a penalty but the wider picture is more important.

Just as I thought.

Reply: 13 - 14
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 14, 2020, 7:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Tommy
I was told once that the first/primary aim of a goalkeeper should be to not have to make save - i.e. organise the team in front of you so the opposition don't get to have a shot.

Me too Tommy. It must help that Russell is part of the coaching team so he will be privy to discussions about shape and tactics.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 14
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sam Russell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.