6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
fiveallive
December 12, 2020, 8:21am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +230
Gold Stars: 5
Jesus a 36 year old goalkeeper and a 35 year old Morias I know he said he wanted experience but come on a team of non league players, and Green and Hanson on the way down. Clearly Battersby can't be any good since Pollock, Idehen and others given a chance.

I'm worried about possible relegation with this squad.

With Macca he seems to be a player who likes to feel loved Hurst and Jolley seemed to bring out the best in him, Holloway wants him to play out with the ball which he struggles with along with commanding his area.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 55
GollyGTFC
December 12, 2020, 9:39am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,065
Gold Stars: 359
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Dave Beasant came here as an aging keeper.... I'll leave it that..

Beasant was 33 when we signed him on loan in October 1992. Hardly aging for a goalkeeper is it?

Especially when you consider he made his league debut in January 1980 & his final league appearance in May 2003 (at BP for Brighton in our final match in the 2nd tier of English football).

So Beasant was in fact a little over a year past the half way point of his league career when he joined GTFC on loan and made a further 275 league starts after his loan came to an end.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 55
Mariner John
December 12, 2020, 9:53am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +634
Gold Stars: 54
Macca has made a few mistakes and maybe cost us a few points, but let's face it, nowhere as many as our outfield players. That's the main priority in my opinion. I could always call my nephew Steve Croudson to see if he can fit us in, hell he might even be fit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 55
Ipswin
December 12, 2020, 10:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I can fully understand the signing of experienced older outfield players especially strikers (providing they are not completely knackered like Hanson) but I don't see the point in signing a keeper older than the one we've got after all hes not being signed to help to educate the young 'uns like an experienced outfield player would, I don't see Steele having much to offer Macca other than competition and anyway don't we have someone who is trying to teach Macca to kick a ball.

If Battersby isn't up to it yet (or ever) surely a younger keeper to replace Macca is the answer

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 55
Swansea_Mariner
December 12, 2020, 11:04am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,474
Gold Stars: 63
Nobody knows if Battersby is up to it but I think Ollie is right not to try him right now, we're shipping far to many goals  at present and the last thing we need to do is throw more inexperience into the mix.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 55
friskneymariner
December 12, 2020, 11:51am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from fiveallive
Jesus a 36 year old goalkeeper and a 35 year old Morias I know he said he wanted experience but come on a team of non league players, and Green and Hanson on the way down. Clearly Battersby can't be any good since Pollock, Idehen and others given a chance.

I'm worried about possible relegation with this squad.

With Macca he seems to be a player who likes to feel loved Hurst and Jolley seemed to bring out the best in him, Holloway wants him to play out with the ball which he struggles with along with commanding his area.

I heard Jesus saves a lot.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 55
GollyGTFC
December 12, 2020, 11:53am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,065
Gold Stars: 359
Quoted from friskneymariner

I heard Jesus saves a lot.

Has nobody replied that he’s good on crosses yet?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 36 - 55
ginnywings
December 12, 2020, 11:54am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
So, we are already deciding that a keeper we haven't even signed is no good and too old.

I've always been of the opinion that Macca has great reflexes, is brave and no doubt works really hard, but I think he has too many flaws to ever be a first choice if we are serious about climbing the leagues. He hasn't got that presence that commands the area, and I've always felt he is too easily beaten with long range shots, especially ones low in the corners.

I remember Hendersons' first home game. At the Osmond end, an opposition player hit a rasping low shot and I was expecting it to hit the back of the net, But Hendo was down in a flash and pushed it away for a corner. He got a really solid hand to it and I can still hear the sound it made. You could tell straight away that he was destined for better things. He just had that aura about him. Obviously, we can't get someone of his calibre, but I've never felt secure with Macca in goal, and I don't think the defenders do either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 55
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 12, 2020, 12:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
It wouldn’t matter if we got De Gea on loan. Some people would think he was past his best at 30.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 55
moosey_club
December 12, 2020, 12:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,317
Gold Stars: 229
It wouldn’t matter if we got De Gea on loan. Some people would think he was past his best at 30.

Terrible example to use....he is past his best 🤣

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Keeper

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.