Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Relegation (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 270 Guests

Relegation (merged)

This thread currently has 12,421 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
December 9, 2020, 1:35pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,454
Gold Stars: 115

That is completely meaningless isn't it? What was Ollies win ratio last season, when he had a normal squad, with players he added without ludicrous covid clauses getting in the way? Give the bloke a chance.

We have been completely hamstrung by events. We made the wrong decisions but we will have to put them right in the January window.

The covid clauses didn't make him sign a bewildering number of players and adopt a style of play which is completely unsuitable to the ones we have. Not only that but he is still presenting the style of play as an end in itself and appears to have completely buried his head in the sand as to our dire form and its consequences. So yes, we have made the wrong decisions, but continue to do so and are committed to a ludicrous plan that never made any sense in the first place.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 80 - 90
arryarryarry
December 9, 2020, 1:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from ginnywings

Yep, he could fail, but the operative word is could. He could also bring in a Billy Clarke and Josh Benson like he did previously. I'm not convinced that the recruitment in the summer was entirely the fault of IH. It's clear the players he wanted didn't fancy the covid clause and the players we should have kept were let go too easily and with short sightedness. We got it wrong, he's admitted that much. I think he can still put it right but appreciate others have lost faith. Years and years of failure has made us a pessimistic fan base, fearing the worst.

One thing I do know is changing managers hasn't worked in the past and any other manager would have the same problems to contend with, as well as having to get up to speed with everything else.

That's not true though is it.

We were crap under Mike Newell and though he wasn't sacked we would have been relegated but for Luton's points deduction.

We didn't sack Woods and we were relegated.

We sacked Slade when we were playing crap and looking likely to be relegated and Jolley kept us up.

I'm not suggesting IH should be sacked but we can't go on living on his past record for too much longer.

It is a risk whichever way the club wants to go.
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 90
arryarryarry
December 9, 2020, 2:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

The covid clauses didn't make him sign a bewildering number of players and adopt a style of play which is completely unsuitable to the ones we have. Not only that but he is still presenting the style of play as an end in itself and appears to have completely buried his head in the sand as to our dire form and its consequences. So yes, we have made the wrong decisions, but continue to do so and are committed to a ludicrous plan that never made any sense in the first place.

I have to agree with this and I do wonder does IH really know what he is doing in terms of how we should play in the lower reaches of League 2 with the players we have got.

He was complaining about McKeown taking risks by playing short ball passes out of the penalty area especially in the Dagenham game, he now suggests that he was left out because he was hitting the longer ball too often 🙄
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 90
pen penfras
December 9, 2020, 2:24pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from arryarryarry

I have to agree with this and I do wonder does IH really know what he is doing in terms of how we should play in the lower reaches of League 2 with the players we have got.

He was complaining about McKeown taking risks by playing short ball passes out of the penalty area especially in the Dagenham game, he now suggests that he was left out because he was hitting the longer ball too often 🙄

Yes, I did find that comment a little odd. Particularly when every team is pressing us high knowing that we try to play it out and make mistakes. IH might not have been so bothered by the long balls if they actually went within 10 yards of one of our players. Distribution is a weakness of Macca, but that game was the worst I've ever seen from him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 90
Mikey_345
December 9, 2020, 2:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,576
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from arryarryarry

And his recruitment this season has turned us into a far worse team than last season.

Haven’t denied that but pointing out he’s proven he can do it and to some extent I believe the reason we have this squad is the restrictions the board (fenty) have obviously put him under with finances.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 90
friskneymariner
December 9, 2020, 3:29pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
How many other teams have Covoid Clauses.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 90
arryarryarry
December 9, 2020, 3:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mikey_345

Haven’t denied that but pointing out he’s proven he can do it and to some extent I believe the reason we have this squad is the restrictions the board (fenty) have obviously put him under with finances.

I understand the restrictions on the budget but why sign so many cheap players that haven't been anywhere near the first team. I'm not John Fenty's biggest fan but are you suggesting that was his doing?
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 90
pen penfras
December 9, 2020, 4:06pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from friskneymariner
How many other teams have Covoid Clauses.

I guess we don't know the answer, but since the clauses were written by the EFL and all clubs were advised to incorporate them into new contracts, it seems ridiculous to hand out more money to clubs that didn't follow their advice because these clubs have a greater need than the ones that took their advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 90
Grimbiggs
December 9, 2020, 4:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
I can only comment on the handful of games I've watched this season, but we re a very poor side, it's hard to think of a worse one since the side that got us relegated from the football league. Unfortunately this squad wouldn't be good enough at Clee Town's level, so unless there's a massive change in January this squad will more than likely take us down...UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 90
Mikey_345
December 9, 2020, 4:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,576
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from arryarryarry

I understand the restrictions on the budget but why sign so many cheap players that haven't been anywhere near the first team. I'm not John Fenty's biggest fan but are you suggesting that was his doing?

Not directly. But you reap what you sow and we’ve seen this story more times than I care to remember.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 90
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Relegation (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.