5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Madeleymariner
December 8, 2020, 12:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 51
The Tory Govt position is purely due to labour not supporting Brexit, resulting in many of the working/dole class northerners voting for them and people fed up of tiny minorities ie 3 people write to the BEEB to complain they are offended so programmes/ presenters taken off air etc. I believe totally in equal rights for everyone inc. Tories but a tiny minority of just a few people being offended should not have to affect the very large majority.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 48
male private Nale
December 8, 2020, 1:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -923
Gold Stars: 136
Jesus Christ there are some ultra left leaning whiners on this post. Thank god fans aren’t let in as I would hate to be sat next to any of you bleeding heart, not in my name bores.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 48
HoratiusEberlin
December 8, 2020, 2:07pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +216
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from male private Nale
Jesus Christ there are some ultra left leaning whiners on this post. Thank god fans aren’t let in as I would hate to be sat next to any of you bleeding heart, not in my name bores.

A bit whiny.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 48
male private Nale
December 8, 2020, 3:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -923
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from HoratiusEberlin

A bit whiny.

Spot on with who I was talking about though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 48
ginnywings
December 8, 2020, 4:04pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548

I'm left leaning but I wouldn't say I'm whiny. I'm quite aware that there are some who object to people taking the knee. I can't see why it offends people, but there you go.

What I can't understand is why anyone would need to boo just to let others know of their outrage. Plenty of things at footy matches annoy me, but I just ignore them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 48
codcheeky
December 8, 2020, 4:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,263
Gold Stars: 31

So you are whining about about people calling out racists whining about being unable to whine about people taking a stand against racism?
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 48
friskneymariner
December 8, 2020, 4:49pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Can't see why people should be offended by those who are trying to right the injustices in society,unless of course they wish those injustices to remain.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 48
KingstonMariner
December 8, 2020, 10:33pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
It really is quite simple. Footballers are opposing racism. Anyone who is conflating this with supporting the political aims of a specific organisation is either being disingenuous or are thick.

You know you are allowed to take the knee if you are Conservative. You can even be a Farage Party voter and take the knee. Opposing racism isn't a party political issue.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 48
KingstonMariner
December 8, 2020, 10:36pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Anyway, it'd be good if Philip Day got a statement out like this in advance of any of our fans being allowed in.

Kudos to the Colchetser chairman.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 48
Croxton
December 8, 2020, 11:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,019
Gold Stars: 35

It's interesting that you try to have a reasonable debate (and you are obviously intelligent, thoughtful and well educated) but use phrases like "cancel culture" which is a typical conservative phrase designed to shut down debate and maintain the status quo. You never see the phrase " cancel culture" in liberal discussion, it is only ever seen in conservative discussion and used by conservative 'commentators'.

The left is patently not outshouting the right in the UK; we have a right leaning, populist government with a significant majority.

The myth of the left outshouting the right is part of the right feeding it's support base that 'we' are under siege, 'our' way of life is under threat and that 'we' should fight back against this wave of liberalism that will undermine 'our' values. This view is invariably peddled by white men who have a private income, fit into a very narrow socio economic group and are acting out of self interest to support their 'power' and the power of people exactly like them.

I'm surprised that you think the phrase 'cancel culture' is exclusive to conservative commentators. JK Rowling's roasting on Twitter and the hounding of Lawrence Fox (whatever you think of them) show how immediate and crushing these pile ons can be. If you don't like the phrase you can substitute your own but the phenomenon has been widely described in those terms.

I'm far from a Tory BTW! Voted Labour since the early seventies but fell out with Corbyn and Momentum. Farm labourers son. Mum and Dad had three or four jobs each and had no bathroom or indoor toilet until I was 10. Forced to attend Sunday School and sing in the Church Choir. Now living comfortably on a teacher's pension having enjoyed some good fortune in terms of family and health.
I have no wish to support any narrow socio economic group or keep them in power. I'm a Red Wall vote lender if you like but in truth I'm homeless politically. Again, you may question the terminology, but the main reason is the rise of identity politics and the poverty of debate in MSM. TV interviews, Question Time etc. are a shameless Punch and Judy parody of what used to be civilised debate. Add Twitter into the mix and it's a massive turn off. Sadly, The Fishy is going the same way.

I simply don't see how labelling and denigrating ( not getting at you), someone with a different point of view is ever going to change their mind. Oppose the knee? Racist.  Smacks of echo chamber student politics and made too easy through faceless forums. Obama has critiqued the 'Defund the Police' slogan and blamed it's divisiveness for the failure to get more Democrats in the Senate or perhaps the House of Representatives. BLM members have been having a lively debate. Too tired now to find the link. Better turn in for the night or I'll be ' At the back of the queue'!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Colchester chairman

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.