1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Northbank Mariner
November 21, 2020, 5:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
When Holloway came in I think we all had a "New Hope" that Grimsby Town FC would rise again.
His TV connections, radio, his standing within the game would bring  rewards beyond our expectations. Players of a high calibre who "want" to play for him, his phone burning his ear, agents ringing him at all hours. We all believed and hoped Holloway was the saviour we'd be screaming for since Buckley put us on a pedestal in the championship, playing great football, exciting, scoring goals.
So, is Holloway all bluff n blunder or is it the curse of GTFC ruining the reputation of a top manager.
Wonder if Holloway himself is wondering what the bloody hell he's done, uprooting his wife and leaving his grand children behind in the hope of leaving a football legacy, walking in the shadow of his hero Bill Shankly...it's not working out well for him.
I'm not calling for him to go, not yet, but patience is wearing thinner and thinner by the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimps
November 21, 2020, 5:27pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,158
Gold Stars: 46
I think his recruitment has been the main problem , last season he managed to get the previous mangers players playing better , he then sold all of them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 7
Humbercod
November 21, 2020, 5:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,503
Gold Stars: 82
I know many will disagree and and for some reason believe we should be challenging at the top, but for me it was obvious we were going to struggle and I said from the start I’d be happy with 3rd from bottom. So so far so good 😬
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 7
Yoda
November 21, 2020, 5:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
Hollaway has entered the Grimsby managerial graveyard.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 7
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 21, 2020, 6:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I think he knows all the criticism, he knew it long ago when he was stymied on several signings and ended up with this ragtag outfit pretending to be the Busby Babes. I don’t blame him about the signings. Neither do I blame the board in current circumstances. With things as they are few players in the urban clubs who want to risk a year or two in the sticks do they?

The question is where to now?

Clearly big wages must go and some of these “players for the future” who don’t have one at BP.

Then go for quality over quantity. As Holloway says we only have the league so a massive squad is not needed anymore. Call in some of these blasts from Ollie’s past?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
sapper mariner
November 21, 2020, 6:14pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +486
Gold Stars: 7
Holloway fixed half the problem. We have a manger with experience and credentials. The other half of the the problem is moving the club forward in terms of modernisation and investment.

Ubique
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 7
aldi_01
November 21, 2020, 6:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
But, if the signings and the salaries etc offered meant he had to have a rethink, doesn’t that prove his alleged place on the board is somewhat pointless...much like everyone else except a certain person.

He sat down with Fenty, now I appreciate both are great at spinning a yarn but you don’t have to be a town fan to know Fenty isn’t the best...then we’re told we’re the best run club.

Now I have no doubt this was more balderdash from Holloway but if he has been hoodwinked and ended up with Poundland players then perhaps he’s losing the plot becaue he was taken in? May be he can’t have the influence he feels he should? Who the intercourse knows?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
ginnywings
November 21, 2020, 9:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
I think in a normal season, we would have kept a good few we had to let go and would have seen these better players he alluded to coming in, but the covid clause the club went with stymied his plans somewhat.  

I think he's as frustrated as we are at the recruitment and I would say it's only partly the fault of himself. We don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Hope he sticks around, rolls up his sleeves and sorts it out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A New Hope

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.