Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › January transfer window.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 288 Guests

January transfer window.

This thread currently has 4,221 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
November 17, 2020, 8:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,773
Gold Stars: 237
If things don't improve soon, January will be vital for us.

If we go into the second half of the season struggling with next to no goals, a team that is a season or two away (if ever) from being league standard, then we must loosen the purse strings and get the experienced players we need, at least to get us safe.

I am sure, well I hope, that next season will be better in terms of player recruitment given a proper budget and fans allowed in, but we must preserve our league status at all costs.

Fenty needs to step up to the plate if needed; he is the man responsible and he will have to provide the funds. I can understand this season's signings in view of the covid uncertainty, but if the gamble has backfired and we slide into trouble we must be proactive in January.

Ignore this post if we win at Tranmere on Saturday.
Private Message
Ipswin
November 17, 2020, 8:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Do you want Fenty to increase his much maligned 'benign loan' then?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 31
HertsGTFC
November 17, 2020, 8:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
If things don't improve soon, January will be vital for us.

If we go into the second half of the season struggling with next to no goals, a team that is a season or two away (if ever) from being league standard, then we must loosen the purse strings and get the experienced players we need, at least to get us safe.

I am sure, well I hope, that next season will be better in terms of player recruitment given a proper budget and fans allowed in, but we must preserve our league status at all costs.

Fenty needs to step up to the plate if needed; he is the man responsible and he will have to provide the funds. I can understand this season's signings in view of the covid uncertainty, but if the gamble has backfired and we slide into trouble we must be proactive in January.

Ignore this post if we win at Tranmere on Saturday.

Though club owners should underwrite their clubs as they have an obligation when they sit at the top table I’m not sure JF can be held responsible for the current fare being served up.

We could have Harry Kane up front but the service from mid field is so poor he’d be a miracle worker to get to double fugues by the end of the season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 31
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 17, 2020, 8:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Though club owners should underwrite their clubs as they have an obligation when they sit at the top table I’m not sure JF can be held responsible for the current fare being served up.

We could have Harry Kane up front but the service from mid field is so poor he’d be a miracle worker to get to double fugues by the end of the season.

Works both ways though Herts.. A midfielder who finds that all his hard work is wasted as soon as the ball reaches a striker who can’t run, can’t pass and can’t shoot is eventually going to get dispirited and go for the sideways, sideways, sideways, back options.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 31
lew chaterleys lover
November 17, 2020, 8:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,773
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Ipswin
Do you want Fenty to increase his much maligned 'benign loan' then?

Not got much choice have we? I know you don't seem to care if we lose our league status but it could be the last straw.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 31
ginnywings
November 17, 2020, 8:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Already talking about the next transfer window.

Just your usual season at BP Towers.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 31
TAGG
November 17, 2020, 9:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Nevermind bringing in players if we see Pollock go out the door (which may well happen) we will definitely get relegated.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 31
Gaffer58
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Think it’s been mentioned that we have mid 30’s of  players currently signed, so I suppose there’s always room for another couple.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 31
HertsGTFC

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228

Works both ways though Herts.. A midfielder who finds that all his hard work is wasted as soon as the ball reaches a striker who can’t run, can’t pass and can’t shoot is eventually going to get dispirited and go for the sideways, sideways, sideways, back options.

Fair point !

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 31
jamesgtfc
November 17, 2020, 9:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from TAGG
Nevermind bringing in players if we see Pollock go out the door (which may well happen) we will definitely get relegated.

I seem to recall we got relegated the last time we sold a promising defender too...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 31
grimsby pete
November 17, 2020, 9:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Please stop talking about going back to non league.

I still have nightmares about the night I saw us lose 5-0 at Braintree.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 31
lee65
November 17, 2020, 9:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from grimsby pete

Yes, What a real wake up call to how far we had fallen that night was  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
lee65
November 17, 2020, 9:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
I think on a recent interview Philip Day said any movement in January would have to be “one in one out”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 31
Croxton
November 17, 2020, 9:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,019
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from TAGG

Pollock looked well hacked off at the end. Asked to play right back, he gave it his all as usual and was willing to get forward. Several senior players failed to match his work rate. Not the best preparation for Tranmere for our star prospect. Any scouts watching would have wanted to see him see the game out in the centre. Wright's stupid yellow meant Ollie could not risk him at right back where his pace could have been useful.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
gytone
November 17, 2020, 9:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,032
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from lee65
I think on a recent interview Philip Day said any movement in January would have to be “one in one out”

I be tempted to pay off Hanson and Green if possible, they are on big money, allegedly .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
ginnywings
November 17, 2020, 9:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from lee65

He did say that, after commenting on the 33 we already have signed.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
promotion plaice
November 17, 2020, 9:50pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201
Quoted from lee65

Did that include managers.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
denni266
November 17, 2020, 9:50pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +703
Gold Stars: 132
Its Ollies fault. he signed them and are his players . and he should close the door on his way out and take most of them with him
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
Ipswin
November 17, 2020, 9:51pm
Vodka Drinker

Not got much choice have we? I know you don't seem to care if we lose our league status but it could be the last straw.

No, going out of business would be the last straw and re-appearing as grimsby town 2021 Ltd in the 8th tier wouldn't be too clever either.

Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
Ipswin
November 17, 2020, 9:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from promotion plaice

Did that include managers.

It's an idea if things don't change

Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
MuddyWaters
November 17, 2020, 9:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Ipswin

No, going out of business would be the last straw and re-appearing as grimsby town 2021 Ltd in the 8th tier wouldn't be too clever either.

It wouldn’t be a great idea. Nor would going on another season busting losing run but it now seems to be the Grimsby way.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
ginnywings
November 17, 2020, 9:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Are we at the Ollie out stage already?  

Not for me.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
Ipswin
November 17, 2020, 9:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

I quite enjoyed stuffing Mansfield and then Histon  a week later

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
November 17, 2020, 11:07pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +878
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from gytone

I be tempted to pay off Hanson and Green if possible, they are on big money, allegedly .

I had to smile at your comment. I was playing Football Manager a few days ago (not as Town) and at the end of the January 2021 transfer window, both Hanson and Green were released by GTFC. Ollie left to manage Sunderland after only 9 months in charge of Town. And Town are currently languishing in 20th position in League 2.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
louth_in_the_south
November 17, 2020, 11:31pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,712
Gold Stars: 96
The doom mongers are hilarious. Loving the blackness descending on the usual few .

BLACK.... BLACK..... BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 18, 2020, 1:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
The key moment for me was when to paraphrase Ollie he stated he was after a striker who the fans would know and like. That deal failed for whatever reason and from there we have simply added more (a lot more) of the same in the hope of covering injuries and maybe uncovering a gem of a player.

Had we signed that player I think things may have been a bit different. It may not be Ollie’s or the club’s fault but we would have had a “marque” signing that would have covered Hanson’s tales of woe and encouraged the team to think that if they got a decent pass into box a goal might well follow.

I think fans are being patient. We all recognise the edge of the pit when we see it and we don’t want to fall in. But I do think Ollie has got to pull something out of the fire as regards a signing sooner rather than later if the fans are to keep faith with him and his project.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
ginnywings
November 18, 2020, 2:27pm

Recovering Alcoholic
The key moment for me was when to paraphrase Ollie he stated he was after a striker who the fans would know and like. That deal failed for whatever reason and from there we have simply added more (a lot more) of the same in the hope of covering injuries and maybe uncovering a gem of a player.

Had we signed that player I think things may have been a bit different. It may not be Ollie’s or the club’s fault but we would have had a “marque” signing that would have covered Hanson’s tales of woe and encouraged the team to think that if they got a decent pass into box a goal might well follow.

I think fans are being patient. We all recognise the edge of the pit when we see it and we don’t want to fall in. But I do think Ollie has got to pull something out of the fire as regards a signing sooner rather than later if the fans are to keep faith with him and his project.

Theo Robinson?

Currently tearing up the division at Port Vale with 1 goal this season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
Boris Johnson
November 18, 2020, 2:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
given his record so far, I hope that Holloway is nowhere near the window come January.....we really cant afford this clown much longer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 18, 2020, 4:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Theo Robinson?

Currently tearing up the division at Port Vale with 1 goal this season.

Is that who it was? I didn’t know that.

Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
jamesgtfc
November 18, 2020, 7:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190

Theo Robinson was a target but I wonder if this name we were chasing was Bogle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
ginnywings
November 18, 2020, 8:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Theo Robinson was a target but I wonder if this name we were chasing was Bogle.

Yeah, probably. He did admit he had tried to bring him in.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 31
denni266
November 18, 2020, 8:10pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +703
Gold Stars: 132
Isnt tearing any trees up at Charlton  , think he got one assist  so far
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 31
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › January transfer window.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.