denni266
November 17, 2020, 8:46pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +703
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from KingstonMariner

No wonder we’re up sh*t creek if we’ve ended up with the Scottish Football Association

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
promotion plaice
November 17, 2020, 8:54pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201
Quoted from promotion plaice

And to rub salt in the wound Scunny are winning away at Port Vale tonight in the league  

FT...Port Vale 0-1 Scunny

Can see that annoying troll resurfacing soon FFS  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
arryarryarry
November 17, 2020, 9:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from always grimsby
Fair assessment we looked scared when we cross the half way line
I know Green has took a lot of Stick on here but he works hard and has no service I think one or two of our so called senior pros eg Bennett & Scannell need to do a lot better
It’s gonna be along and difficult winter ahead for us all UTM

When Green gets the ball he does frig all with it.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
Hagrid
November 17, 2020, 9:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,518
Gold Stars: 544
Im not defending Green at all but he is so isolated that whenever he does get it theres noone for him to give it too or even have a shot as he’s got 3 round him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
MuddyWaters
November 17, 2020, 9:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from arryarryarry

When Green gets the ball he does frig all with it.

Because the players around him don’t move. I’m not a Matt Green fan but the lack of movement from the rest is the reason. There’s no wonder we lose possession so easily.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
fishcake63
November 17, 2020, 10:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
As mentioned on another thread it's no coincidence that best players are the ones ollie didn't sign pollock hendrie waterfall , hanson & hewitt when fit of course , our forwards struggle but god the service to em is a joke we lack creativity in midfield apart from williams who he seems to just play sporadically , hate to say it but if things get much worse we be in bottom 2 come end of year
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
Mayaman
November 18, 2020, 1:08am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 74
It's easy to knock the forwards but while we faff around at the back (not play form the back) the forwards can't get shots in.  Then with the quality of final balls, what could any striker do?  Even Messi , couldn't hit the bag of the onion bag if the pass to hm sails over his head.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
aldi_01
November 18, 2020, 6:28am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Green works hard, I don’t think anyone is particularly a big fan but unless we had a striker who comes deep and creates his own chances (every team wants one of these) we won’t score enough goals.

What comes from midfield is often non existent, and if it does, it’s woeful. I get that were likely missing Edwards but we’ve hardly lost Messi or Ronaldo.

I’m not sure why we’ve ended up with the players we’ve now got, is it Holloway not truly having an eye, is it penny pinching, is it both? Is it difficult to entice players to a club with poor training facilities in comparison to others? Is it the Covid contracts? Who knows but we’re far enough in to the season now to realise some aren’t and likely won’t ever be any good.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
diehardmariner
November 18, 2020, 10:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
It's a double edged sword and a perfect recipe for disaster.  

Green doesn't hold the ball up or offer any movement.  The midfield don't go beyond him or look to find him in space.

I really, really dislike going in on players for the sake of it but I'm not even seeing this hard work from Green that others see.  He ambles around at a snail pace and I've yet to see him break into a sprint.   Gibson, for his critics, at least chases down in a manner that isn't half-arsed.  

It can't be easy up front in this team and Green doesn't look like his game is to the lone striker.  Giving him the benefit of the doubt and say that if it isn't his game and he can't do it, why play him there?

Few times yesterday when Scannell drifted into a central position, he actually held the ball up well and brought others into play.  Sadly, it was about all he did.  The midfield is a major issue as we've got no-one bursting forward to support the attack. Rose is a natural sitter (and I like him doing that role).  Morton and Spokes both look like they want to be that player too.  Seen a couple of comments about Spokes last night but I thought he did ok and sprayed a few nice passes about.  If you've got two guys centrally who are holding, your wingers have got to be your driving force from deep.  Out wide we had Max Wright with the reigns on him and Danny Preston looking, again, absolutely exhausted.  Then we had Scannell and Bennett just floundering about a bit, wasn't sure if they were behind Green or out wide.  

If it's numbers in midfield then Williams has to play in there as he's the only one who can carry the ball forward from deep.  If it's not numbers and we're sticking with a couple of holding lads centrally, then the wingers have got to be pinning their full backs back.

Said it many times, we're not suited as a squad to anything but 4-4-2.  We don't have the legs for the wing back role, we don't have the driving force from midfield, we don't have anyone who can be a lone frontman.

I'd like to see Rose and Clifton in the middle.  Bit of experience and energy.  Wright and Edwards out wide to run full backs ragged and press.  Gibson and then AN Other up top with him.  Neither are a striker but maybe Williams or Scannell as someone who can bring a little bit of creativity into the attack, arguably switching with Edwards when needed.  Still a bit mis-shapen but we look worse with each game of this 3-4-3 variation.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
TownSNAFU5
November 18, 2020, 10:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Agree we need to play 4-4-2 for an extended run at least.  We can then (hopefully) get the best from from the players, however limited many are.  Keep it simple.

We know that this season is about survival.  Scunny and Southend are winning.  We need to avoid a relegation scrap by making the optimum used of players.  Starting now with 4-4-2.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Same old same old

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.