Lincoln Mariner 56
November 15, 2020, 9:12am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from aldi_01
No doubt a talented lad, albeit frustrating occasionally, but perhaps that was the style, the coaching and the system we played. On occasions he wasn’t very effective but again, see above.

Has anyone any idea what a sell on could be? We’ve never been very shrewd in the past when it comes to things like this.

If we were to make a substantial amount could it not be reinvested in our youth system or training facilities rather than just continually ploughing cash in to the playing budget to finish 15th every season.

We’ve seen our youth system produce players, with additional support and investment some of those players could go on and make it, even if it’s not at town. That can only be a good thing surely?

How many quality players have we actually sold in the last 20 years that have given town the opportunity to include a decent sell on clause? Yesteryear both Croft and Oster were sold for decent fees, from reports we received 25% of Bennett’s sell on fee, Bogle decent fee but he was then moved on by Wigan at a loss or at best break even price. Burrell is too soon to say but not seen his name on the first team sheet despite Borough always struggling to score goals.

Unfortunately, like Burrell, most decent youngsters are hoovered up by the big boys before they reach puberty thus we get a pittance for them. It’s really difficult to get a good player through our system without the vultures swooping hence the alleged recent interest in two of our youngsters from Chelsea.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
pen penfras
November 15, 2020, 9:25am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from aldi_01

Has anyone any idea what a sell on could be? We’ve never been very shrewd in the past when it comes to things like this.

We got 25% on Bennett, had the same on Bogle but he went for the same amount. How much more do you think other clubs are getting? Because I'll tell you for a fact that NO clubs get a higher sell on fee than that! But no worries, just make more excrement up to sling at the club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
jamesgtfc
November 15, 2020, 11:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
25% on Dembele. For a club like us, the big money is made when the players we sell move on again. I remember under Jolley in the middle of a relegation battle someone passed the ball to him whilst he was tying his laces. I don't think he played for Jolley again.

Bogle is unfortunate, if he had gone to League 1 instead of Wigan, we could have got some sell-on money but it's all speculative.

25% is a good deal, I doubt there are many better sell-on clauses out there!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
Abdul19
November 15, 2020, 11:28am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,615
Gold Stars: 220
I seem to remember we had a 50% sell on on Darren Wrack - it was so big they never bothered selling him!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
November 15, 2020, 11:38am
Guest User
Quoted from Abdul19
I seem to remember we had a 50% sell on on Darren Wrack - it was so big they never bothered selling him!

That’s a blast from the past, was he the walking on broken glass player? I once had a crush on his sister while I went out with her mate, didn’t end well.
Reply: 14 - 26
aldi_01
November 15, 2020, 12:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from pen penfras

We got 25% on Bennett, had the same on Bogle but he went for the same amount. How much more do you think other clubs are getting? Because I'll tell you for a fact that NO clubs get a higher sell on fee than that! But no worries, just make more excrement up to sling at the club

flipping hell, do you work for them?

It was a genuine question, the Bennett fiasco nearly cost us money, genuine question ya busy girl private.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 15, 2020, 12:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from aldi_01

flipping hell, do you work for them?

It was a genuine question, the Bennett fiasco nearly cost us money, genuine question ya busy girl private.

Think you followed up your question with the comment that town had not been very shrewd in the past and state the Bennett fiasco, why was it a fiasco when I understood we got £750 k from his sell on?

As I said before who have we sold where we have subsequently missed out on a decent sell on fee? Not saying it’s not happened just that I can’t recall when it was and which player it involved. For all JF’s faults I would have thought when it comes to money he ain’t going to miss out more than once.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
fishboyUTM
November 15, 2020, 1:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Literally the only thing Slade got right despite losing the player towards the end of his time here. Dembele probably got sick of seeing the ball sail over his head, and I can't blame him. You have to wonder how a player clearly as good as that ended up without a club at the Nike academy. Would be a fantastic signing for a top division club in my opinion, he's that good.

With Peterborough selling Ivan Toney for up to 10 million pounds, it may push the sale price of Dembele up as even with things the way they are, Peterborough won't be short of money and that can only be good for Town.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
fishboyUTM
November 15, 2020, 1:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from 28195

That’s a blast from the past, was he the walking on broken glass player? I once had a crush on his sister while I went out with her mate, didn’t end well.

He was brilliant for Walsall for a long time. Hope you spoofed his sister at some point ha.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
aldi_01
November 15, 2020, 1:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I remember Wrack leaving us and being decent for Walsall for a while.

Was another player that never seemed too great in a town shirt but carved out a good career.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › All looks good for our coffers

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.