2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
November 16, 2020, 9:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
I quite like a 3-4-3 and think it gives you a lot of flexibility.  It can quite easily become a back 5 with the wingbacks dropping deep, a middle 5 with one of the forwards dropping or even a front 5 if the wingbacks push further forward.

But it puts a lot of demand on players from a physical perspective.  We don't look fit enough to complete a game so asking the players to do it in a more demanding system seems to me like asking for trouble.  The left wingback role is a concern too.  The only lad we've really got to play it is Preston and he's looked absolutely shot to pieces in recent weeks.

If we are going to go with 3 centre-backs, I'd go with Idehen over Ohman.  As others have said, Waterfall and Pollock lack pace so you need someone with the legs to get across and cover.  I think Idehen's far more composed on the ball than Ohman and also a natural left footer I think.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
GollyGTFC
November 16, 2020, 10:59am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,065
Gold Stars: 359
Quoted from diehardmariner
I quite like a 3-4-3 and think it gives you a lot of flexibility.  It can quite easily become a back 5 with the wingbacks dropping deep, a middle 5 with one of the forwards dropping or even a front 5 if the wingbacks push further forward.

But it puts a lot of demand on players from a physical perspective.  We don't look fit enough to complete a game so asking the players to do it in a more demanding system seems to me like asking for trouble.  The left wingback role is a concern too.  The only lad we've really got to play it is Preston and he's looked absolutely shot to pieces in recent weeks.

If we are going to go with 3 centre-backs, I'd go with Idehen over Ohman.  As others have said, Waterfall and Pollock lack pace so you need someone with the legs to get across and cover.  I think Idehen's far more composed on the ball than Ohman and also a natural left footer I think.

It can easily become a 3-6-1 with both the back 3 exposed and the centre forward isolated simulatenously.

This 3-4-3 is the Chris Wilder Sheff Utd formation isn't it? Their form since lockdown suggests that most EPL clubs have worked the formation out now. But at our level, with better players, it could still work.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 16
diehardmariner
November 16, 2020, 11:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
I think that's generally the danger with any system where there's the potential to overload the midfield, definitely in terms of isolating a striker.  Certainly something we've seen quite in recent years as a Town fan.

Yeah, it is the Wilder formation.  Which works best with those overlapping full-backs.  Jolley tried this and I personally thought Reece Hall-Johnson was outstanding in that role, overlapping Hendrie to great effect.  I can't remember the game but one home game he set two goals up by doing so.  I've seen Pollock trying it a bit in recent games but don't think any of our other defenders are comfortable in doing so.  Waterfall would always be the central one and Idehen might not yet have the confidence to do so.  Probably not something Ohman would be effective at either.  Perhaps Hendrie could do it if he was one of the wider centre-backs, or even Hewitt.

I think the other thing to factor is that when you've got a centre back bombing forward, you do need someone to drop in.   Rose has done this when he's played because he's got the know-how and experience.  Without him we've got no-one who will do that.

As said, I do like the system but I don't think we've really got the bodies to do it.  Not on a consistent basis anyway.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
Tangerine Chris
November 17, 2020, 11:30am
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24
Quoted from GollyGTFC
We've played 3-4-3 several times this season including last Tuesday.

Exactly how many games have we won with this system?

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
Tommy
November 17, 2020, 1:20pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Tangerine Chris

Exactly how many games have we won with this system?

Cheltenham and Orient.

2 of our 3 wins were when playing 343.
The other against Barrow was a 433.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
Tangerine Chris
November 17, 2020, 6:28pm
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24
Excellent stats then

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
Grantham_Mariner
November 17, 2020, 6:30pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,204
Gold Stars: 51
4-4-2

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 3-4-3

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.