2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
golfer
November 10, 2020, 9:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Substitutions were originally brought out so that genuinely INJURED players could be replaced not tactically used, BUT ---
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
diehardmariner
November 10, 2020, 9:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from Boris Johnson
Ridiculous idea, these clubs and ours have massive squads, no need just rotate the squad.

Have to say I agree with this.  I'm not even sure I get the argument that it would benefit the bigger sides more either.

Be it with an extra two subs or through rotation of the starting eleven, the bigger clubs will always have an advantage when it goes beyond their starting eleven.

This probably won't go down well.  But GTFC have had a problem with injuries for a long, long time.  Well before Covid. We're forever picking up niggles and injuries.  We're forever struggling to get people back up to speed.  I think we need to have a full review when we can of why this is.  Are we only signing players with existing problems, if so how detailed are the medicals before signing and why aren't they picking this up?  Are our training methods up to scratch?  Is our medical infrastructure good enough?  

The argument about knocks, niggles and fitness is getting thinner and thinner with me.  Yes we've got a lot of games to play but it's not like we're playing four times a week every week.  Hell, we had two weeks off early October!  We've got a big enough squad to cope with the demands of a hectic schedule and we're rotating every single game.  There's no reason that every single member of the squad should be up to full fitness (genuine injuries permitting).  We can't hide behind a lack of pre-season and a busy schedule any longer.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
Croxton
November 10, 2020, 10:03am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,019
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from diehardmariner

Have to say I agree with this.  I'm not even sure I get the argument that it would benefit the bigger sides more either.

Be it with an extra two subs or through rotation of the starting eleven, the bigger clubs will always have an advantage when it goes beyond their starting eleven.

This probably won't go down well.  But GTFC have had a problem with injuries for a long, long time.  Well before Covid. We're forever picking up niggles and injuries.  We're forever struggling to get people back up to speed.  I think we need to have a full review when we can of why this is.  Are we only signing players with existing problems, if so how detailed are the medicals before signing and why aren't they picking this up?  Are our training methods up to scratch?  Is our medical infrastructure good enough?  

The argument about knocks, niggles and fitness is getting thinner and thinner with me.  Yes we've got a lot of games to play but it's not like we're playing four times a week every week.  Hell, we had two weeks off early October!  We've got a big enough squad to cope with the demands of a hectic schedule and we're rotating every single game.  There's no reason that every single member of the squad should be up to full fitness (genuine injuries permitting).  We can't hide behind a lack of pre-season and a busy schedule any longer.

Non league teams generally train twice a week and have part time staff. Chorley's manager is a Headteacher for example. Lots of L1 and L2 clubs have been embarrassed this week in the F.A. Cup despite having more players and resources than clubs lower in the pyramid. Is there really a strong link between regularity and intensity of training and success? Could less training be better for some players?
On paper, we should have beaten D and R 9 times out of ten so our excuses about Rose's substitution, number of subs, Covid and Tues/Sat fixtures are wearing thin. In addition to your earlier questions, is there also an issue over the quality of time spent at Cheapside as much as quantity? How would Matt Tees and Jimmy Greaves have excelled on their GPS data?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
RichMariner
November 10, 2020, 4:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,164
Gold Stars: 211
There's a clear correlation for me - always has been, pre-covid:

When a team is struggling for form and results in the league, you get more injuries.

When a team is bang in form, you get fewer injuries.

Part of the reason why teams enjoy good form is down to a consistent XI, which allows partnerships to develop all over the park and for players to better anticipate their teammates' movements.

As a result, any players carrying knocks tend to play on until they can't move, and then have operations in the summer.

It's a bit chicken-and-egg, but when the team is in form, everyone wants to play and be a part of the success. When it's going through a rough patch, players may be more aware of their knocks and bruises and may want to protect themselves (despite what they might say in the media).

I think about that Leicester team, playing week in, week out, together, to win the Premier League. Was the lack of injuries down to luck? Was Paul Groves lucky to get through every minute of 68 games in 97/98?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
KingstonMariner
November 10, 2020, 5:11pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from RichMariner

When a team is struggling for form and results in the league, you get more injuries.

Part of the reason why teams enjoy good form is down to a consistent XI, which allows partnerships to develop all over the park and for players to better anticipate their teammates' movements.

As a result, any players carrying knocks tend to play on until they can't move, and then have operations in the summer.

It's a bit chicken-and-egg, but when the team is in form, everyone wants to play and be a part of the success. When it's going through a rough patch, players may be more aware of their knocks and bruises and may want to protect themselves (despite what they might say in the media).

I think about that Leicester team, playing week in, week out, together, to win the Premier League. Was the lack of injuries down to luck? Was Paul Groves lucky to get through every minute of 68 games in 97/98?

Or it could be the opposite. Teams with more/worse injuries do less well. Best players not available, less competition for places. That’s the simplest explanation. Occam’s razor.

Groves was renowned as a professional for keeping himself in peak condition. He was also not noted for indulging in the rougher side of the game, rather using his intelligence like Macca Mk I used to do when he defended without tackling. I’d say he wasn’t lucky. I think he went through a spell of about 4 seasons without time out for injury. No one is that lucky.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
Limerick Mariner
November 10, 2020, 5:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,744
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from RichMariner

Joe Waters as well...the value of a player like Groves or Waters is not just their massive contribution at the heart of the midfield, nor just their outstanding leadership, by example, and mentoring younger players, but the fact for season after season they were ever-presents. One thing is for certain it's no coincidence that these two played throughout two of our most successful post-war periods. Arguably Shaun Cunnington could be put in that category as well, these two are the standouts though.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
GollyGTFC
November 10, 2020, 5:53pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,066
Gold Stars: 359
Quoted from RichMariner

Incorrect. Paul Groves was substituted on 85 minutes in both the League Cup Round 4 defeat at Liverpool & the FA Cup Round 1 replay 4-0 win over Shrewsbury (with the score at 3-0 and Shrews down to 9 men). And he was subbed on 71 minutes in the 0-0 home league draw with Wycombe

So he played 68 matches - 29 minutes.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 18
jamesgtfc
November 10, 2020, 6:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
I do notice the correlation and have always wondered if some of it is mindset.

Malik Wilks tore it up the season after being here when he was at the top end of League 1 with Doncaster.

People always want to be associated with success and if you get injured, I suppose there is a danger of becoming forgotten.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
Gaffer58
November 10, 2020, 7:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Klopp and Gaudiolla complaining about not having 5 subs only the 3 but neither used their 3 in Sunday’s game!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Olly On Sky Sports News Today

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.