Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 234 Guests

Don't panic

This thread currently has 4,604 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
November 8, 2020, 11:25am
Guest User
Quoted from fishboyUTM
Personally, I want to see us playing the game the right way and that's primarily on the floor with good passing and movement.

I don't know if you actually watched the game yesterday, but that is exactly how we played the whole game.

fishboyUTM
November 8, 2020, 11:28am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from 123614

I don't know if you actually watched the game yesterday, but that is exactly how we played the whole game.

Yes, I know that. I wasn't suggesting we didn't play that way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
pen penfras
November 8, 2020, 1:55pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from 123614

Personally, I want to see us playing the game the right way and that's primarily on the floor with good passing and movement.

Fixed that for you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
HertsGTFC
November 8, 2020, 2:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from 123614

I’d agree with the passing bit but the movement was pretty mixed I thought and the amount of sideways or backwards passes just gave them the opportunity to get set behind the ball.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
MarinerRob
November 8, 2020, 2:31pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
I was pleased by the way they played yesterday. There was a great deal of movement and good link up play. The end result needs working on but in time that should come as well.

Dagenham's goal was taken very well and I was impressed with their finishing. Their second goal was down to Mckeown. How stupid to play the ball a few yards in his penalty area to Morton (I think) who had Dagenham's players around him. Morton had no room for error and lost the ball and we are then losing with no time to recover. Mckeown is supposed to be the captain and lead by example. In the 91st minute he lost us the game. But it won't be his fault!

Good commentors, I thought.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
oochiad
November 8, 2020, 2:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
I’m afraid to also say it was a very poor judgement call by Macca.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
MuddyWaters
November 8, 2020, 2:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
As I recall, we lost in a potentially financially advantageous competition, 3-1, to a team that's bottom of the league below us. With that in mind, I don't give a stuff how we played.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
arryarryarry
November 8, 2020, 2:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from 123614

Yep, and we lost 3-1.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
devs
November 8, 2020, 4:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
Their commentary team were great
Two 'geezers' who know their stuff commenting from the terraces

Everything Tondeur isn't
Boring
Negative
Nervous
Obsessed with things that don't matter

Like Motson - long past his sell by date
sums us up
Stuck in the 80s
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
FishOutOfWater
November 8, 2020, 4:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from devs
Their commentary team were great
Two 'geezers' who know their stuff commenting from the terraces

Everything Tondeur isn't
Boring
Negative
Nervous
Obsessed with things that don't matter

Like Motson - long past his sell by date
sums us up
Stuck in the 80s

Who are the two commentators everyone is going on about?

I listened to RH so had Jordan Clark & Lloyd Griffith for my commentary

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 21
The Yard Dog
November 8, 2020, 8:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,516
Gold Stars: 74
I like my goalkeepers, to be goalkeepers.
You can still set up with a good throw out wide, all this keepers trying to play out using they feet.
How many goals this season have been conceeded by keepers using to play out from the back?
I was taught not back across your own goalmouth.
Everyone trying to play the 'Pep way', possesion football, hate it.
Get the ball in the opponents box as quick as possible, much prefer playing with two up front.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 21
cardiffmariner
November 8, 2020, 9:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,321
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from MuddyWaters
As I recall, we lost in a potentially financially advantageous competition, 3-1, to a team that's bottom of the league below us. With that in mind, I don't give a stuff how we played.

You should (give a stuff about how we played) because that is of more significance than the single error that cost us the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
MuddyWaters
November 8, 2020, 9:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from cardiffmariner

You should (give a stuff about how we played) because that is of more significance than the single error that cost us the game.

To be really honest, we haven’t had a decent footballing side since Buckley Mark 2 so I’m not holding my breath. Mr Holloway talks the talk but our team isn’t very competent at walking the walk. Unless you didn’t notice, we conceded three,all down to defensive errors.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 21
aldi_01
November 9, 2020, 6:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
If, as so many keep saying, the season is about survival then surely it’s about the result? Be it ugly or pretty, the result is integral. We can talk about survival all we want but staying in the league makes that much more likely.

People can witter on about the club existing all they want but surely they’d rather that be in the league than dropping out simply to save a few pounds perhaps?

Holloway is meant to be an astute bloke and have a good idea of the game but so far that’s questionable; playing in style and having a philosophy is great assuming the workforce can do it, at this moment in time that is very much debatable.

So whilst playing football is easy on the eye, and we did play decent passages on Saturday, we still lost, and arguably it was our own doing, again...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 21
November 9, 2020, 11:53am
Guest User
Quoted from The Yard Dog
You can still set up with a good throw out wide, all this keepers trying to play out using they feet.
How many goals this season have been conceeded by keepers using to play out from the back?
Get the ball in the opponents box as quick as possible, much prefer playing with two up front.

Saw an old England game Corrigan made a save and without getting up threw the ball to launch an attack. Gordon West could throw out as far as some keepers could kick. Problem with Macca is he holds on to the ball far to long.
Reply: 14 - 21
KingstonMariner
November 9, 2020, 12:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

The commentary team on Daggers Player or whatever it was called. Both ex players at a decent level by the sound of it. Think the summariser (Mick Payne) must have been an ex Dagenham player in the League, and currently a coach and the commentator played at Hampton (conference south).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 21
joe56
November 9, 2020, 1:22pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I did a bit of research on the commentators, and found that they were James Glass and Mick Payne. “Jimmy” Glass went down in history as the goalkeeper who kept Carlisle in the League with a last minute headed goal in the final game of 1999. He also played against Town for Bournemouth in the Auto-Windscreens Shield final. Mick Payne, another goalkeeper, started his career at Chelsea, but had to retire early through injury and took to coaching. He is presently the goalkeeping coach for the Daggers and England C. I thought their commentary was superb - balanced, objective and very appreciative of the quality of Town’s football. Payne’s analysis of what Dagenham needed to do after Town’s equaliser proved to be spot on. Interesting also that they seemed to think that Kyle Bennet was our best player - ironic in view of the fact that Telegraph readers have given him one of the lowest ratings. I know whose judgement I would trust!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
Davec
November 9, 2020, 1:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Indeed the daggers commentators were both very good, they both read the game well and clearly knew what they was talking about.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
RichMariner
November 9, 2020, 2:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,164
Gold Stars: 211
Jimmy Glass — I wonder if his commentary style was a reflection of his playing style.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 18 - 21
Mayaman
November 9, 2020, 3:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from The Yard Dog

The difference is Pep has the talent to do it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
arryarryarry
November 9, 2020, 7:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from cardiffmariner

There were 3 errors in that game, each goal came from poor defending as well as the propensity to play short balls rather than clearing your lines.

The first was poor defending by Pollock after clearing the ball he didn't make any effort to get up to mark their number 10 who unmarked headed the ball on to the man who scored.

We all know about the second and the third after being 2-1 down was short pass backwards from Bennett to Clifton who had players on him straight away, lost it then a poor tackle by Pollock for the penalty.

I worry about the way we play and the lack of chances we create including the way we nearly always have to play a short pass from free kicks instead of getting the ball into the danger area.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/fa-cup/video

Private Message
Reply: 20 - 21
Posh Harry
November 10, 2020, 12:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,376
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Mayaman

The difference is Pep has the talent to do it.

The difference is Pep has the players that have the talent to do it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Don't panic

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.