Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Cant win with some people.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 231 Guests

Cant win with some people.

This thread currently has 2,806 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Oly1987
November 7, 2020, 5:56pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,228
Gold Stars: 22
And no I'm not talking about with the current squad.

Some of the more vocal minority really need to give their head a wobble.

Holloway came in and not long after we got hit by lockdown. 2 and a half months he had before football was cancelled. He couldn't do a whole lot with them then he loses players then he has to build a squad out of players he's had limited time with and new intakes on what I can only assume is a pretty restricted budget.

We start the season late which im not sure is down to him or the club as a whole and he looks to play proper football out from the back rather than hoofball which everyone in past has complained about.

Honestly what do you expect? Yes he's an experienced manager who's managed at a premier league level but he isnt a miracle worker. Rome wasn't built in a day and despite Holloway having been here for a little over 10 months he's only actually had around 5 months if that to make an impact. We can see what he is trying to achieve and we need to believe that with time he can make it happen. So let's back the boys and look forward to the next game eh.

UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
November 7, 2020, 6:05pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,083
Gold Stars: 201

I really believed Ollie would bring in some quality players given his contacts and our limited budget, fool me.

Same old same old.

Another fight to stay up in my opinion.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
denni266
November 7, 2020, 6:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
5 months playing time .. and 10 months here to sort out a playing squad  that he has failed at .. Never mind the lock down , he has a phone and could have sorted a lot better than we have . Thats what he is paid for and this mess of a team is all his doing . He git kids in and non league players in to play in a mans league  . we just got beaten by the worse team in the league below why ? because we have worse team  than them , and that seems to be ths case every week .  What happened to all them good players that was melting his phone to come play for him .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 26
lew chaterleys lover
November 7, 2020, 6:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,786
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from promotion plaice

I really believed Ollie would bring in some quality players given his contacts and our limited budget, fool me.

Same old same old.

Another fight to stay up in my opinion.

So did I, but that was before the pandemic struck and we were absolutely determined to survive by bringing in loan players and those players we did sign had to accept covid contracts.

Lets see what next season brings. As long as we survive in the league and as a club that is ok with me, but next season I expect us to be a good team.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
November 7, 2020, 6:15pm
Guest User
Quoted from denni266
5 months playing time .. and 10 months here to sort out a playing squad  that he has failed at .. Never mind the lock down , he has a phone and could have sorted a lot better than we have . Thats what he is paid for and this mess of a team is all his doing . He git kids in and non league players in to play in a mans league  . we just got beaten by the worse team in the league below why ? because we have worse team  than them , and that seems to be ths case every week .  What happened to all them good players that was melting his phone to come play for him .

You're talking rubbish, we actually played them off the park football wise.  It was a lack of good finishing and another Macca ballsup that cost us this game.

Reply: 4 - 26
mariner91
November 7, 2020, 6:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,772
Gold Stars: 262
Lockdown was not great timing but the pre-season preparation was abysmal. Every club in the country has had the same restrictions so it cannot be used as an excuse.

He moans about fitness, why are we less fit? Why did we only have one friendly? Why was the recruitment so scatter gun? There appears to have been no thinking as to a style or pattern or shape we want to play which is reflected by the constant change in formation and personnel.

Any other manager and questions would be being asked. Most of the problems we have have been self inflicted, nothing to do with lockdown. We finished 2 points ahead of Cambridge but it doesn’t seem to have affected them does it? And their manager has been in that job for a month less than Holloway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
HertsGTFC
November 7, 2020, 6:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Oly1987

Holloway came in and not long after we got hit by lockdown. 2 and a half months he had before football was cancelled. He couldn't do a whole lot with them then he loses players then he has to build a squad out of players he's had limited time with and new intakes on what I can only assume is a pretty restricted budget.

We start the season late which im not sure is down to him or the club as a whole and he looks to play proper football out from the back rather than hoofball which everyone in past has complained about.

Honestly what do you expect? Yes he's an experienced manager who's managed at a premier league level but he isnt a miracle worker. Rome wasn't built in a day and despite Holloway having been here for a little over 10 months he's only actually had around 5 months if that to make an impact. We can see what he is trying to achieve and we need to believe that with time he can make it happen. So let's back the boys and look forward to the next game eh.

UTMM

I think he admitted recently that he didn’t think it would be as hard as it is to get people to come to the club.

He’s a good manager but it feels like he’s trying too hard to play in the right way rather then being  pragmatic and finding a way to play that suits the level of players we have rather than getting them to play to a system.

He needs to scrap the front three thing as we need to get more players in the oppositions box..Even if we could find the killer pass we don’t have the fire power for the killer finish.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
Northbank Mariner
November 7, 2020, 6:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from 123614

You're talking rubbish, we actually played them off the park football wise.  It was a lack of good finishing and another Macca ballsup that cost us this game.

Not often I agree with your views BnWB but this time you're bang on the money!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
Oly1987
November 7, 2020, 6:25pm
Lager Top Drinker
Lets also remember it took Klopp 4 or 5 years to get a winning team. Let's all calm down, have a brew and give things some time. Things have been a bit inconsistent since we got back in the league why not give Holloway 2 or 3 seasons to really have a go?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
MuddyWaters
November 7, 2020, 6:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Oly1987

UTMM

That poses the question then, do you either blame Holloway for poor recruitment or the board for the Covid wage reduction that put us on the back foot when it came to recruitment?

I was hoping that with the phone burning his ears, we would have ended up with better than what we’ve got.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 26
aldi_01
November 7, 2020, 6:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Are we really, essentially justifying a defeat by saying we played a non league team off the pitch...whilst losing 3-1?

Holloway has always been full of bluster so most knew what he was saying was just that. I do think being honest and open, almost being proud of offering Covid contracts has made it difficult to recruit players.

We’ve been left some players who aren’t good enough anymore, one of which is a crock and then some young kids trying their hardest.

It’s the same for every single club, what are they doing differently to us? The training stuff, the late season start, an odd pre season isn’t just unique To us so what is the issue?

May be the reasons we struggle to recruit is a combination of things? Is it merely geographical? Is it the clear lack of ambition from the club? Is it poor facilities? Isn’t style? Or is it many a thing and were simply at our level whether we like it or not?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 7, 2020, 6:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
I have patience and do believe IH will give us a team worth watching, albeit we may have to wait a while, but please Ollie stop harping on about COVID and Lockdown every time we lose and just stick to the football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
aldi_01
November 7, 2020, 6:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
I have patience and do believe IH will give us a team worth watching, albeit we may have to wait a while, but please Ollie stop harping on about COVID and Lockdown every time we lose and just stick to the football.

It starts at the top. The constant rhetoric throughout the alleged first lockdown was negative, woe is me. Lead by example.

They could’ve turned it on it’s head and said that we’ll stand tall, work hard and all that jazz, we’ll fight forever and all that but we didn’t.

The excuses are almost predictable now and it’s tiresome in some respects.

Regardless of how well we played today, we made mistakes which cost us. Nobody else can be blamed for that, not even a virus.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
Oly1987
November 7, 2020, 7:14pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

That poses the question then, do you either blame Holloway for poor recruitment or the board for the Covid wage reduction that put us on the back foot when it came to recruitment?

I was hoping that with the phone burning his ears, we would have ended up with better than what we’ve got.

Might've had plenty of interest but if we can't offer what they think they are worth we won't get them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
moosey_club
November 7, 2020, 7:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,321
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from aldi_01

It starts at the top. The constant rhetoric throughout the alleged first lockdown was negative, woe is me. Lead by example.

They could’ve turned it on it’s head and said that we’ll stand tall, work hard and all that jazz, we’ll fight forever and all that but we didn’t.

The excuses are almost predictable now and it’s tiresome in some respects.

Regardless of how well we played today
, we made mistakes which cost us. Nobody else can be blamed for that, not even a virus.

and this is the issue.... just where/when did we "play well" ?  

We played well in totally harmless areas of the pitch , against the poorest side in the division below us. We didnt play well in the final third , we didnt play well in our area as we let them score three goals , just in harmless areas of the pitch.  
We had 10-15 mins of sustained pressure at the end of the first half , thats all , the rest was poor in any decisive area of the pitch.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
arryarryarry
November 7, 2020, 7:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Oly1987

UTMM

Thank you IH that's about as barmy as your post match interviews.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
denni266
November 7, 2020, 7:25pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 123614

You win games . [now remind me if am wrong] by scoring more than what is in front of you  Not by looking pretty and just playing keep ball.. .And from playing the game and watching for over 50 yrs i believe that is still what its all about .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
November 7, 2020, 7:29pm
Guest User
Quoted from aldi_01
Are we really, essentially justifying a defeat by saying we played a non league team off the pitch...whilst losing 3-1?

Holloway has always been full of bluster so most knew what he was saying was just that. I do think being honest and open, almost being proud of offering Covid contracts has made it difficult to recruit players.

We’ve been left some players who aren’t good enough anymore, one of which is a crock and then some young kids trying their hardest.

It’s the same for every single club, what are they doing differently to us? The training stuff, the late season start, an odd pre season isn’t just unique To us so what is the issue?

May be the reasons we struggle to recruit is a combination of things? Is it merely geographical? Is it the clear lack of ambition from the club? Is it poor facilities? Isn’t style? Or is it many a thing and were simply at our level whether we like it or not?

Might have something to do with the fact the some other clubs don't have a Covid clause in the Contract, and the better players were maybe not happy having to sign that type of contract!

Reply: 17 - 26
MuddyWaters
November 7, 2020, 7:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Oly1987

Might've had plenty of interest but if we can't offer what they think they are worth we won't get them

You might be right but the ‘I’ve been round the block umpteen times’ BS is wearing a bit thin. So is the pandemic excuse. Covid exists outside Grimsby.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
November 7, 2020, 7:33pm
Guest User
Quoted from denni266

You win games . [now remind me if am wrong] by scoring more than what is in front of you  Not by looking pretty and just playing keep ball.. .And from playing the game and watching for over 50 yrs i believe that is still what its all about .

For a start we were not playing keep ball, we were breaking their defence down regularly, it was a lack of our players getting on the end of crosses in the box, and having played Football and watching the mariners for 69 years I have a fair bit of experience also!

Reply: 19 - 26
November 7, 2020, 7:35pm
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You might be right but the ‘I’ve been round the block umpteen times’ BS is wearing a bit thin. So is the pandemic excuse. Covid exists outside Grimsby.

Of course it does, never said it didn't, but how many clubs have cot Covid clauses in their players contracts, that's the point I was trying to make.

Reply: 20 - 26
ginnywings
November 7, 2020, 7:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Can't win....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
Ipswin
November 7, 2020, 7:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Oly1987
We can see what he is trying to achieve and we need to believe that with time he can make it happen.

But that's part of the problem for me (and increasing amount of others) I just can't see what he's hoping to achieve. I can see what he is dreaming about (so am I) but I just don't believe he can make it happen

Silk purses out of sows ears comes to mind and he has certainly put together a squad of sows ears

The sooner everyone accepts that Holloway is not what we hoped he was and not what he thinks he still is the better

No one is rushing to play for him, he's not the be all and end all fantastic manager that for some reason we stupidly believed he was. He's just another Div 4 manager (and possibly a little out of touch these days) struggling to steady a side that he has cobbled together that will struggle to maintain lower mid table status.

We are expecting too much, he's a larger than life big hearted fella who likes the sound of his own voice publicity wise but football wise he isn't all that.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 26
Ipswin
November 7, 2020, 7:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from 123614

You're talking rubbish, we actually played them off the park football wise.  

Does that mean we go through to the second round then?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
Sandford1981
November 7, 2020, 8:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Ipswin

But that's part of the problem for me (and increasing amount of others) I just can't see what he's hoping to achieve. I can see what he is dreaming about (so am I) but I just don't believe he can make it happen

Silk purses out of sows ears comes to mind and he has certainly put together a squad of sows ears

The sooner everyone accepts that Holloway is not what we hoped he was and not what he thinks he still is the better

No one is rushing to play for him, he's not the be all and end all fantastic manager that for some reason we stupidly believed he was. He's just another Div 4 manager (and possibly a little out of touch these days) struggling to steady a side that he has cobbled together that will struggle to maintain lower mid table status.

We are expecting too much, he's a larger than life big hearted fella who likes the sound of his own voice publicity wise but football wise he isn't all that.

Football managers get sacked invariably or leave. Very few would be considered absolute successes.
To denigrate every manager that is appointed and then to somehow suggest ‘i told you so’ as if you’re some sort of prophetic genius is flawed-
A broken watch is right twice a day!!
We’re all entitled to our opinions but your constant negativity about everything apart from your book is tiresome.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 26
arryarryarry
November 7, 2020, 9:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from 123614

Played them off the park doing what, we scored because of a crap tackle in their area, they scored 3 goals and could have had more with.

Pissing about with the ball going sideways and backwards will get us nowhere and opposition teams will be very happy to stand back and let us do that.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
denni266
November 7, 2020, 9:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
[quote=123614]

For a start we were not playing keep ball, we were breaking their defence down regularly, it was a lack of our players getting on the end of crosses in the box, and having played Football and watching the mariners for 69 years I have a fair bit of experience also!

[/quot  we all see things differently , we did get men on the end of things , just no one could put it in the net . but at end of the day it got us nothing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Cant win with some people.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.