This thread currently has 10,282 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
October 16, 2020, 1:53pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,083
Gold Stars: 201

With games coming thick and fast Ollie will be rotating the squad so I don't see a problem with having more than 5 loans.

Welcome to GTFC Virgil.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 69
ska face
October 16, 2020, 1:54pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,812
Gold Stars: 852
Makes sense, if you’re going to be playing 3 forwards for 90 mins running around doing a high press, to have a squad capable of doing it Sat-Tues-Sat-Tues all the way through to Christmas.

He’s obviously got something about him & can probably trap and pass a ball if he’s been at Forest u23s, which is a sight more than a lot of forwards we’ve had in the past.

Good luck to him.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 69
grimsby pete
October 16, 2020, 1:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Of he is half as good as the other Vigil who plays for Liverpool he will do for me .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 69
ginnywings
October 16, 2020, 1:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from BottesfordMariner
I am a bit puzzled by this signing. And it doesnt fit in with what Holloway said earlier in the week.

I welcome the lad and wish him well. But we have signed a few young unproven forwards in this window. Holloway said he wanted a goalscorer...a guy with a proven track record of scoring goals. Someone to rely on. Yet he signs yet another young unproven player just like the others. Quick look on wiki shows he's scored 1 goal in just under 30 professional appearances. Not quite the proven goalscorer we need.

I am baffled.

Ollie explains his reasoning here:

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2020/october/gomis-joins-the-mariners-on-loan

I'm a bit baffled by this signing too. We have loads of young strikers on the books now and of the three we have actually signed to contracts, only Gibson has had any game time yet.

Just have to trust the management on this one.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 69
Harry Haddock
October 16, 2020, 1:57pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +18 / -8
Approval: +670
Gold Stars: 5
I think signing loan players is quite sensible in the current situation. Less players on the books if the season gets canceled

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 69
Mallyner
October 16, 2020, 2:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Good luck to the lad.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 69
Ipswin
October 16, 2020, 2:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from cardiffmariner

That’s right Swin. We can’t be relying on young unproven forward players like Edwards, Tilley and Windsor to be scoring goals for us.

No you're absolutely right, we can't rely on them and if they do start scoring regularly week in week out we won't need all the unproven, unfit because they only trained once a week and have barely played a league game strikers Holloway seems to be amassing.anyway

And if the three you mention, with a goal each at the moment, suddenly stop scoring goals all the unproven, unfit because they only trained once a week and have barely played a league game strikers aren't going to be the ones we can confidently fall back on either

I had in mind an experienced striker as in Hanson (but not permanently injured, can actually run a bit and is without a club so won't want Hansonlike wages)

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 69
Kris2
October 16, 2020, 2:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Not the worst idea to bring in these lads on loan as with the packed fixtures and injuries we'll probably need to rotate and have people who are ready to slot in and play how we need them to play. Not really all that interested in his past record, will judge him on what he delivers for us. Always feel like people put too much on a past record when we've had players who did well for us after not exactly setting the world alight elsewhere. Maybe sometimes it gets proven correct and they don't deliver here either but I'm going to give everyone who joins this team support and the chance to do the business on the pitch as I do think we have players capable of making things happen. It just depends if they want it enough or not and if we give them the right coaching and motivation.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 69
monkeyboy
October 16, 2020, 2:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Jackson gets a brace and sets one up in the reserves and can’t even get on the bench. Poor sodomist
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 69
Boris Johnson
October 16, 2020, 3:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Holloway's Contacts

bloke is a fraud
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 69
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Virgil Gomis

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.