2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Mariner_09
October 12, 2020, 9:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Anyone know how to get round the constant spinning wheel that appears on my laptop when streaming games. Works fine on my phone but not my laptop.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
golfer
October 12, 2020, 10:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Are you getting a strong signal from your modem
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
pontoonlew
October 12, 2020, 10:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
I’m probably cursing myself here but I’ve never had a problem with iFollow and that’s probably because my internet speed is good. Picture quality etc can probably be attributed to iFollow itself but if it’s not connecting properly it’s likely to be your own connection that’s the issue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
MarshMariner
October 12, 2020, 10:17am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 2
Had the same issue myself on Saturday, however it worked ok from my other laptop, with the same browser..  So may need an update, or failing that remove it and reinstall the browser.. Hope that helps..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
Mariner_09
October 12, 2020, 10:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from golfer
Are you getting a strong signal from your modem

Yes, three lines on the wifi icon.

Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
Mariner_09
October 12, 2020, 10:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from MarshMariner
Had the same issue myself on Saturday, however it worked ok from my other laptop, with the same browser..  So may need an update, or failing that remove it and reinstall the browser.. Hope that helps..

I'll have a go. Thank you.

Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
pen penfras
October 12, 2020, 10:37am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Mariner_09

Yes, three lines on the wifi icon.

That doesn't mean it's a good connection though. Wifi has several channels and the more devices and networks close together can make the channels full. Some routers automatically switch channels to the quietest, others you have to manually do it. Try plugging in with an ethernet cable and it should work better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
ivanosandwich
October 12, 2020, 10:48am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 17
I would consider my Internet speed to be good but had the same issue on Saturday. Constant spinning but nothing more.

As you said, connected immediately on the phone.

I tried a few different browsers, Chrome, Edge etc but no joy.

Eventually I downloaded Firefox and it worked straight away, 60 minutes gone by this time.

I'll try Firefox from the off tomorrow and see how that works.

Other options are clearing the cache and cookies but they never worked for me.

By the way, I am an IT consultant. I don't profess to be anywhere near an expert as my job focusses on only one software application but I would like to think I have a reasonable idea of what I am doing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
ginnywings
October 12, 2020, 12:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Most platforms out there only need between 1 to 5 megs for streaming services to work with SD being at the lower end and HD at the upper end. I don't think these issues are down to internet speed at all as some are saying. I have fast virgin broadband and can never get iFollow to work on Chrome but I can on Edge.

There are clearly problems with this service that need addressing, as evidenced by the plethora of posts on the subject every time we play. It needs sorting or the club will continue to lose revenue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
pen penfras
October 12, 2020, 1:32pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from ginnywings
Most platforms out there only need between 1 to 5 megs for streaming services to work with SD being at the lower end and HD at the upper end. I don't think these issues are down to internet speed at all as some are saying. I have fast virgin broadband and can never get iFollow to work on Chrome but I can on Edge.

There are clearly problems with this service that need addressing, as evidenced by the plethora of posts on the subject every time we play. It needs sorting or the club will continue to lose revenue.

I don't have any idea what is causing the problems, but I've only twice had problems and both have been fixed by plugging the cable in. I think I've watched every match that's been on ifollow in the UK, so fairly sure something is different on the user end.

Streaming live tv always seems to be wore for me than Netflix etc. Maybe it doesn't buffer as far ahead to reduce the delay.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
Kris2
October 12, 2020, 2:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
There are a bunch of reasons this can happen and it's not always necessarily down to internet speed. WiFi issues are possible, Virgin Media have a terrible hub for WiFi that randomly slows you down for no reason. Browser settings, video codecs, Anti Virus software and hardware limitations being that Chrome is an over demanding piece of excrement are all things to consider too.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
arryarryarry
October 12, 2020, 3:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,052
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Kris2
There are a bunch of reasons this can happen and it's not always necessarily down to internet speed. WiFi issues are possible, Virgin Media have a terrible hub for WiFi that randomly slows you down for no reason. Browser settings, video codecs, Anti Virus software and hardware limitations being that Chrome is an over demanding piece of excrement are all things to consider too.

I use Chrome and not had a problem.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
BenBB
October 12, 2020, 5:08pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +842
Gold Stars: 30
I was watching the match on a train on my phone on my 3/4G in the middle of a field and it was streaming fine in HD apart from in blackspots like tunnels. iFollow isn't the problem, in fact it's quite good as it cleverly adjusts the quality to adapt to the network connection quality.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 16
GrimRob
October 12, 2020, 6:30pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,462
Gold Stars: 115
I'd install the WifiAnalyser app on my phone/tablet and see if there were anny channel conflicts on my Wifi and any other issues it identifies. It should advise you on the best channel and best position for your router. You should hopefully be able to make any changes needed on your router.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 16
headingly_mariner
October 12, 2020, 8:27pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
I had it hooked up to my work laptop that i used with great success for ifollow last season on Tuesday games, never went off, no buffering or quality issues.
Now it buffers every 5-10 minutes and I have to hit the live button. Checked my internet speed wired and wifi both 300mps. Any ideas?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
Stranger in the Park
October 17, 2020, 7:38pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -187
Gold Stars: 7
Foolishly I thought  3rd time lucky after previous tales of woe with ifollow have seen 20 mins at first try and 40 mins on second occaision . This time I got abolutely nada. Emailed the helpline twice- no replies. After the half time break I asked for my money back......nada. NEVER EVER AGAIN.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
Stadium
October 17, 2020, 7:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Foolishly I thought  3rd time lucky after previous tales of woe with ifollow have seen 20 mins at first try and 40 mins on second occaision . This time I got abolutely nada. Emailed the helpline twice- no replies. After the half time break I asked for my money back......nada. NEVER EVER AGAIN.

Drop BAWB a message,he's an expert on ifollow.
According to him it's your own fault.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › iFollow Problems

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.