Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We are back in training then !!!
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 281 Guests

We are back in training then !!!

This thread currently has 6,400 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
October 6, 2020, 8:12pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201

So we are back in training at Cheapside after a lengthy lay-off and we were already behind in terms of fitness.

How on earth are we going to compete with Bolton on Saturday?

As always I will be watching the game on iFollow for the £10 but I fear the worst.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
denni266
October 6, 2020, 8:20pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +703
Gold Stars: 132
Depends what the players have been doing during there isolation fitness wise .. we have heared nothing from IH during this period about it and if they was set anything to do by the club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
promotion plaice
October 6, 2020, 8:22pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201

I wonder if Hanson will now be available, that would help.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
ginnywings
October 6, 2020, 8:27pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Bolton ain't all that. They lost their first three games and Saturdays win over Harrogate was their first in 14 games going back to last season.

Having said that, I expect we will struggle and would take a point and hopefully a goal or two.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
forza ivano
October 6, 2020, 10:33pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
Having a few quid on. Bolton at 6-5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
October 7, 2020, 12:07am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +877
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from forza ivano
Having a few quid on. Bolton at 6-5

That's a helluva game but I don't think we will score THAT many!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
aldi_01
October 7, 2020, 6:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
At least we’ve got a ready made excuse again if the inevitable happens.

I can’t see us getting anything but then again football is a funny game...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
Teesknees
October 7, 2020, 7:54am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from aldi_01
At least we’ve got a ready made excuse again if the inevitable happens.

I can’t see us getting anything but then again football is a funny game...

I wouldn't associate you with the word "funny"!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
aldi_01
October 7, 2020, 8:38am

Barley Wine Drinker
Not asking you to, Bolton aren’t the best side so definitely bearable but I’m not sure how our fitness will have improved any since the last game...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
Rick12
October 7, 2020, 10:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
The game on Saturday against Bolton will be tough given our lack of normal preparation but Iam just glad things are back up and running.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
Chrisblor
October 7, 2020, 12:23pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,969
Gold Stars: 242
They're professional athletes who will have continued to exercise throughout the quarantine period. The internet also exists so I imagine they'll have been able to discuss tactics specific to the Bolton match over that. They've also got 3 days to prepare in person, which isn't much different to the preparation time available when we're playing a Tuesday night game after a Saturday match. Really don't think we should be sitting around looking to use the training ground closure as an excuse at all.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
Rick12
October 7, 2020, 12:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Chrisblor
They're professional athletes who will have continued to exercise throughout the quarantine period. The internet also exists so I imagine they'll have been able to discuss tactics specific to the Bolton match over that. They've also got 3 days to prepare in person, which isn't much different to the preparation time available when we're playing a Tuesday night game after a Saturday match. Really don't think we should be sitting around looking to use the training ground closure as an excuse at all.
Theres the social side that the players miss as well. Hence cant be easy training on your own. Hence a happy camp is a productive camp.

On a side note Ive been loving the Amazon documentary's series all or nothing on Manchester  City and now Tottenham. If you get the chance there well worth checking out. To be fair to  Jose Mourinho I like his honesty though. Hence as he says  some players like only positivity .

"He has no filter though. So long as someone gives 100% they will get on with me."

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
male private Nale
October 7, 2020, 12:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -925
Gold Stars: 136
Bolton assembled a new squad of quality players , opening results were always going to be dodgy. To say they are ‘not all that’ shows naivety... for me they are probably easing into gear and no doubt starting to gel as a squad/team.

Holloway previously moaned the lack of fitness due to only being able to train independently under lockdown , well they have just had another two weeks of it.

Will be a mammoth task to come away with anything on Saturday but will be paying my £10 in the vain hope we do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
pen penfras
October 7, 2020, 1:01pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from male private Nale
Bolton assembled a new squad of quality players , opening results were always going to be dodgy. To say they are ‘not all that’ shows naivety... for me they are probably easing into gear and no doubt starting to gel as a squad/team.

Holloway previously moaned the lack of fitness due to only being able to train independently under lockdown , well they have just had another two weeks of it.

Will be a mammoth task to come away with anything on Saturday but will be paying my £10 in the vain hope we do.

Says who? It's not very often that a team starts badly and then it suddenly clicks without changing a manager or players.

The lack of fitness was about the new signings having not been able to access training facilities. Our squad that were contracted through the break have mostly looked fit enough, so have the loan signings. It's been Scannell, Williams, Rose and a couple of others that look way off the pace. Not that surprising when they hadn't had a session in 6 months.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
male private Nale
October 7, 2020, 2:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -925
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from pen penfras

Says who? It's not very often that a team starts badly and then it suddenly clicks without changing a manager or players.

The lack of fitness was about the new signings having not been able to access training facilities. Our squad that were contracted through the break have mostly looked fit enough, so have the loan signings. It's been Scannell, Williams, Rose and a couple of others that look way off the pace. Not that surprising when they hadn't had a session in 6 months.

Says me ?? And it’s the same excuse we would have no doubt been using for our urine poor start to season had Covid not intervened.

You are probably right these two weeks self isolating within their homes will be to no detriment whatsoever. I would suggest it was nearly every player bar Hewitt And Clifton that looked way off fitness after the hour mark as opposed to Scannell, Rose, Williams and a couple of others (detailed !!)

I hope I get proved wrong Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
October 7, 2020, 2:58pm
Guest User
I wouldn't have thought they've been sat around doing nothing. Greg Howard would have been giving them routines, surely
Reply: 15 - 24
October 7, 2020, 2:58pm
Guest User
Quoted from Chrisblor

We weren’t well prepared physically before hand. At no fault of the staff or the players. So physically we will be massively behind Bolton.

We are a new team. That haven’t played together. You could put them in a class room for a year they still wouldn’t gel straight away on the pitch.

Reply: 16 - 24
ginnywings
October 7, 2020, 4:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from male private Nale

Does it? Their recent record is terrible; one win in 15. They will probably beat us but that will more likely be down to our patched up team, than them being a massive threat at the moment. They may well gel in time, but right now, they are not exactly flying.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
HertsGTFC
October 7, 2020, 6:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from 139881
I wouldn't have thought they've been sat around doing nothing. Greg Howard would have been giving them routines, surely

I’d also assume that there’d be training in those vests that monitor activity or something similar then Greg could see remotely how they’re getting on.

Also it’s a bit easier to put a programme together than when you sign someone who’s been training on their own as you’ve had time and data to access their levels.

No idea what will happen versus Bolton to be honest but I’d be happy with a score  draw as long as we scored last.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
GrimRob
October 7, 2020, 9:42pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,452
Gold Stars: 115
Fitness is one thing, but lack of time spent together has to be as important? It's not as though we were a well oiled machine going into the self-isolation. Hopefully Bolton will underestimate us.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 24
aldi_01
October 8, 2020, 6:24am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
Fitness is one thing, but lack of time spent together has to be as important? It's not as though we were a well oiled machine going into the self-isolation. Hopefully Bolton will underestimate us.

I think this is a big thing that’s being overlooked. We don’t look like a team at the minute. We look like 11 players trying to play football but not a team trying to win. Then, when you add in the lack of fitness it gets worse. They’re not working for each other, or so it seems when you watch us.

Just training together, learning from each other so on is hugely important to being a successful team.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
monkeyboy
October 8, 2020, 9:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
5 or 6 games with a reasonably setteld team before we see any sort of team cohesion for me.
all these folk moaning about results from the get up need to wobble their heads a bit. this team has the look of one that could well be playing together next season. yes its a building thing and he has gone young for that purpose.

Come next summer i doubt he needs more than a couple of players. lets face it when we played walsal everyone of there players had played together the season before. Mkaes a huge difference
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
TownSNAFU5
October 8, 2020, 11:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
German football might currently accept fans to matches.  Germany has a very low rate of Covid cases.  But the Health Minister has announced this morning that cases could spread uncontrollably throughout the country.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
MarinerDevil
October 8, 2020, 3:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,811
Gold Stars: 80
Ollie's interview today:

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2020/october/ifollow-the-mariners-are-back

As entertaining as you might expect.  He's worth every minute of airtime, I'll give him that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
BenBB
October 8, 2020, 4:53pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +842
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from MarinerDevil
Ollie's interview today:

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2020/october/ifollow-the-mariners-are-back

As entertaining as you might expect.  He's worth every minute of airtime, I'll give him that.

My left ear enjoyed that video

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We are back in training then !!!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.