October 6, 2020, 9:50am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
I ask the same question on signing another midfielder WHY

We needed to push the boat out on a proven striker FFS

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 51
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
October 6, 2020, 10:39am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +877
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from TAGG
I ask the same question on signing another midfielder WHY

We needed to push the boat out on a proven striker FFS

Yes but the problem is that quite possibly, with the COVID clause in our players contracts, nobody with a proven record wants to come here.

For all we know Ollie could have contacted every single available striker, and everyone of them could have said no. What are Ollie's options if that has happened? He can't just magic up a proven striker out of nowhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 51
Heisenberg
October 6, 2020, 10:50am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,115
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Henryscat
1997 I started that site. Which as we all know was only 5 years ago.

If I’d had concentrated on the internet instead of beer I could be Jeff Bezos and we’d all be watching town in the champions league.

They were good days, about 20 people from all over the world in a chat room with one person basically typing out RH commentary.

I remember the play off final vs Fulham and drinking a full bottle of vodka while typing out the radio 5 commentary in a dial up chat room in my halls at uni. I was the only one in the chat room who had the radio and the large consumption of vodka must have made the “commentary” incoherent!

A few of us met up at the Humber Royal before the first Wembley trip too.

That vodka must still be doing it's job.........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 51
pen penfras
October 6, 2020, 10:52am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Matt Green is a proven striker, but his service has been terrible. Maybe if he can concentrate on getting in the right positions with good service, rather than challenging for long balls, he might get some decent chances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 51
Henryscat
October 6, 2020, 11:33am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Quoted from Heisenberg

That vodka must still be doing it's job.........

Clearly!! 🤣

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 51
Northbank Mariner
October 6, 2020, 11:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Thought about this a bit more, Holloway has said he wants to go 3-5-2..so a midfielder who's known for being experienced, good, pacey and can cross a ball playing on the left is why he's looked at getting Bennett in. Midfield 5 of Scannel, Williams, Edwards, Rose and Bennett looks pretty strong to me, then there's Wright, Clifton, Hewitt, Spokes, Taylor all ready to slot in should we lose one of the 5 I latterly mentioned..Green, I can see, partnering Hanson/Gibson/Jackson up front...Give it time and thought and this squad isn't as bad as it initially looked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 51
Heisenberg
October 6, 2020, 11:36am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,115
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Thought about this a bit more, Holloway has said he wants to go 3-5-2..so a midfielder who's known for being experienced, good, pacey and can cross a ball playing on the left is why he's looked at getting Bennett in. Midfield 5 of Scannel, Williams, Edwards, Rose and Bennett looks pretty strong to me, then there's Wright, Clifton, Hewitt, Spokes, Taylor all ready to slot in should we lose one of the 5 I latterly mentioned..Green, I can see, partnering Hanson/Gibson/Jackson up front...Give it time and thought and this squad isn't as bad as it initially looked.

I'm really not sure about Williams so far.  I hope he proves me wrong.

I thought Harry Clifton looked one of our better players against Salford, and I hope he can get a chance to partner Rose in midfield this weekend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 51
diehardmariner
October 6, 2020, 12:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,715
Gold Stars: 543
Purely on paper this would be an excellent signing.

Remember watching him tearing us an absolute new one in pre-season for Donny a few years back.

I get the concern that it's another signing in an area where we seem bloated but I can only echo the thoughts of those who are questioning if we actually are...

Of the 17 listed on the official site as midfielders, I reckon only 6 are what you would class as first team central midfielders;

Rose, Williams, Spokes, Taylor, Clifton and Morton.

A further 6 are either Academy lads or new professionals (in the case of one, out on loan);

Curran, Boyd, Grist, Painter, Starbuck and Tomlinson.

You've then got 4 who are wide attackers;

Wright, Edwards, Tilley and Scannell.

Plus Hewitt as a utility player, even if you can him as a central midfielder it's 7 covering 3 positions (presuming that's the system we're going with).  

It looks more because we've given numbers to a fair amount of youth lads for the EFL Trophy games and we're finally giving lads the chance to develop upon graduating from the youth team so the numbers are a bit more bloated (the right approach in my mind too). I think Holloway is also looking at trying to bridge that gap between kids and men too by having a few punts on rough diamonds (as Brian Laws would say)....

Look at it another way.  I reckon at the minute we've got a first team squad of 21

McKeown, Hendrie, Preston, Ohman, Waterfall, Pollock, Mohsni, Rose, Williams, Scannell, Clifton, Wright, Spokes, Edwards, Tilley, Taylor, Morton, Hewitt, Green, Gibson and Hanson.

There's then 8 lads who are prospects, at various points of the season they'll get game time and may graduate to the above list.  But for now they're in development (I've discounted Russell from any list).

Battersby, Hope, Idehen, Curran, Starbuck, Painter, Jackson and Sisay.

Plus a couple of youth team lads.

That's not a huge squad really.  Not when we'll soon get into the nitty-gritty of Sat-Tues-Sat-Tues before long.

Even taking Bennett's position as a wide attacker into consideration, if we got 4-3-3/4-5-1 or 4-4-2 you're going to have 2 of them on the pitch at anyone time.  We've got 5 (including Bennett).  I'd argue that Edwards might be used more centrally and Tilley deeper.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 51
Les Brechin
October 6, 2020, 12:24pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from arryarryarry

Can't do a link at this moment but he gets quite a slagging off on the BR forum.

https://gaschat.co.uk/thread/16844/bennett-grimsby

One thing I didn't know until I had a quick browse at that thread is that Tommy Widdrington is now head of recruitment at Bristol Rovers.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 51
Bristol Mariner
October 6, 2020, 12:30pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Les Brechin

Gas heads more deluded than us lot

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › kyle Bennett

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.