Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A right of reply.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 264 Guests

A right of reply.

This thread currently has 3,928 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
September 14, 2020, 2:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Just read this on the Cod Almighty site. Maybe of interest to some and covers a lot of the topics often discussed on here.

http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=7638
Logged Offline
Private Message
Henryscat
September 14, 2020, 3:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Personally I think that is very well written and answers a lot of questions. I wouldn’t expect anything less of Dave who I know is a respectable, trustworthy and approachable guy.

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
lew chaterleys lover
September 14, 2020, 3:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Henryscat
Personally I think that is very well written and answers a lot of questions. I wouldn’t expect anything less of Dave who I know is a respectable, trustworthy and approachable guy.

It is well written and very informative.

No doubt we have some brilliant people in and around the club but imagine what they could if we had a board to match.

This is the root of our problems; the board just do not have the drive ambition or money for us to make real progress. I am hoping with some on field success and the Holloway factor we might change that.

Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
Henryscat
September 14, 2020, 3:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker

It is well written and very informative.

No doubt we have some brilliant people in and around the club but imagine what they could if we had a board to match.

This is the root of our problems; the board just do not have the drive ambition or money for us to make real progress. I am hoping with some on field success and the Holloway factor we might change that.

The article didn’t make me question the board’s drive or ambition to be honest, quite the opposite if they’re spending a considerable amount of time doing things for the club. It does make it blatantly apparent there’s (to quote Rob Scott) “no facking money” though.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
TheRealJohnLewis
September 14, 2020, 3:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
The argument for B Teams and the benefits it gives our youth doesn't add up.  We could play our youths in the competition with or without Premier League B Teams.  We don't need B teams to play our youth and this is worrying POV from the Trust.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
Henryscat
September 14, 2020, 3:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
The argument for B Teams and the benefits it gives our youth doesn't add up.  We could play our youths in the competition with or without Premier League B Teams.  We don't need B teams to play our youth and this is worrying POV from the Trust.

I can see where you’re coming from but I’ve read it slightly differently.

Firstly it says it’s his personal opinion and not that of the trust.

I have read it that the competition in any form is an opportunity for the youth and that’s why they’re against scrapping it completely, whilst being resigned to B teams being there for at least this season and next.

I’m not Dave nor am I on the trust board so I can (like you) only say it as I read it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
Rodley Mariner
September 14, 2020, 3:51pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
It sounds to me that JF's stance is that he'd put in money to stop us going out of business but he won't plough it in just to cover the current shortfall and maintain the same budget.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
arryarryarry
September 14, 2020, 5:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
I couldn't understand the comments about Directors giving their time for free.

Being a director of a football club is nothing like any other business. If they are not putting money into the club or working for free what the frig are they doing there?
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
lew chaterleys lover
September 14, 2020, 6:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Henryscat

The article didn’t make me question the board’s drive or ambition to be honest, quite the opposite if they’re spending a considerable amount of time doing things for the club. It does make it blatantly apparent there’s (to quote Rob Scott) “no facking money” though.

It's good that they are doing things in and around the club but I meant where is the driving ambition to take us forward?  

New investment is the key but there never seems to be any good news on that front.

I was hoping when the manager put some money in it might lead to other investors following suit but no good news yet.

It's great that board members do things around the club to make money go further but that is not going to get us motoring.

Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
moosey_club
September 14, 2020, 6:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,317
Gold Stars: 229
Please please stop picking on the board members as they work really hard in their spare time to help the club.

Thats how i read it.

Otherwise confirmed what we all knew ;

club/ trust communciation is poor
none of the board put money in only their  time/ skills/ wisdom
John can have money back whenever the club can afford it (watch this years end of year accounts) ....like Dave has said, i am actually all for this as well, the sooner we owe him nothing the sooner we will be open to new takeover IMO.

John is in charge of all contracts....this is the bug bear for me......with the lower salaries, covid clauses, cheaper players etc isnt his position somewhat of a conflict of interest ?  The less he spends,he will see that as more chance of a profit which equals more chance of getting paid back.  He is well known for cost cutting, tight purse strings and not one for a speculate to accumulate, again noted that he is around the ground doing little jobs getting ready for a return of fans, saving a few quid here and there. Like Mr Fleming cutting the grass in lockdown and we have seen the result of that in the state of the pitch now.

Whilst we are currently in the grips of a new dawn all the above approach may seem effective and even essential....trouble is the club has been running like this for 10-15 yrs regardless of any pandemic.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A right of reply.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.