This thread currently has 36,019 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
September 3, 2020, 3:20pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201

I see Harrogate Town have just revealed  their stadium's new name in major sponsorship deal with EnviroVent.

Scunthorpe and Lincoln have done the same as well haven't they to generate more income.

Just wondered why in these challenging times financially we haven't gone down this route, or maybe we have and couldn't find a sponsor ?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Heisenberg
September 3, 2020, 3:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,116
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from promotion plaice

I see Harrogate Town have just revealed  their stadium's new name in major sponsorship deal with EnviroVent.

Scunthorpe and Lincoln have done the same as well haven't they to generate more income.

Just wondered why in these challenging times financially we haven't gone down this route, or maybe we have and couldn't find a sponsor ?

We don't have a stadium, it's a ground.  And it's a dump.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 31
Boris Johnson
September 3, 2020, 3:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4

Be grateful its Blundell Park, the SHUTES SHOEBOX STADIUM...cant come quick enough.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 31
Boris Johnson
September 3, 2020, 3:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg

We don't have a stadium, it's a ground.  And it's a dump.

Its not Wembley i'll give you that, but its not a dump.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 31
thefish
September 3, 2020, 3:32pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,255
Gold Stars: 67
Whether it's classed as a 'ground', a 'stadium' or a 'dump', one thing is for certain...

I've missed it far too much!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 31
GollyGTFC
September 3, 2020, 3:35pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,065
Gold Stars: 359
Look at the website of the commercial department. They’ve been advertising for a stadium naming rights partner and individual stand naming rights partners for years. No takers though.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 31
Boris Johnson
September 3, 2020, 3:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Look at the website of the commercial department. They’ve been advertising for a stadium naming rights partner and individual stand naming rights partners for years. No takers though.

long may it continue....

sponsor the dugout, and the pie shop is ok though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 31
Tommy
September 3, 2020, 3:40pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from thefish
Whether it's classed as a 'ground', a 'stadium' or a 'dump', one thing is for certain...

I've missed it far too much!

Exactly.

It may be a dump......but it's our dump.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 31
It Bites
September 3, 2020, 3:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,217
Gold Stars: 266
Compared to Harrogate's ground BP is like Tottenhams ground
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 31
arryarryarry
September 3, 2020, 4:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117

Steptoes Rag & Bone Merchants or do you think our ground might not be up to their standard?
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 31
September 3, 2020, 4:12pm
Guest User
We set up a crowdfunding enterprise to get the name changed to "The Fishy Stadium".

This is GTFC...better if the fans do it, rather than (die) waiting for the club.

UTMM
Reply: 10 - 31
lew chaterleys lover
September 3, 2020, 4:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,776
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from GollyGTFC

They wont get any takers either if they think an advert on the website will do the trick.

Find a connection with a local company and go out and sell it to them!
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
September 3, 2020, 4:43pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +877
Gold Stars: 123
Itll probably end up with one of the Offshore Wind companies sponsoring it, especially if it ends up either on or in close proximity to the Docks.

Long gone are the days of Ramsdens stumping up some cash. Mind you, there arent too many local 'boy done good' businesses who we can go begging to, cap in hand.

David Ross must have a few million hiding away in an overseas tax haven that he can spare.

Docks Beer might be a contender if they continue to grow over the next few years. Then again, they might just take over the bars.

Gary Croft?

Guy Martin?

Shaun Pulfrey?

Any more?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 31
lew chaterleys lover
September 3, 2020, 5:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,776
Gold Stars: 237
Itll probably end up with one of the Offshore Wind companies sponsoring it, especially if it ends up either on or in close proximity to the Docks.

Long gone are the days of Ramsdens stumping up some cash. Mind you, there arent too many local 'boy done good' businesses who we can go begging to, cap in hand.

David Ross must have a few million hiding away in an overseas tax haven that he can spare.

Docks Beer might be a contender if they continue to grow over the next few years. Then again, they might just take over the bars.

Gary Croft?

Guy Martin?

Shaun Pulfrey?

Any more?

There are loads more and we are like most football towns in England in terms of business opportunities including national companies with local branches.

Our board is too limited to find the opportunities.  Ollie could do it but he is a bit tied up with the team.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
Abdul19
September 3, 2020, 5:14pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,615
Gold Stars: 220
Whichever board member is in charge of the internet computer put a page on the OS about 5 years ago, not sure what else they can do.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
dicko995
September 3, 2020, 5:42pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -252
Gold Stars: 26
We could of had a new ground, but GTFC kicked Tom Shutes in to touch, big mistake, big...BIG.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
GollyGTFC
September 3, 2020, 6:10pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from dicko995
We could of had a new ground, but GTFC kicked Tom Shutes in to touch, big mistake, big...BIG.

I don't think we've heard the last of Shutes' takeover. I don't think Fenty was a serious seller before. With the world and football finances as they are right now, I think he'd be delighted to offload the club given half a chance. Shutes would probably get a much better deal than previous too.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 31
mimma
September 3, 2020, 6:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
...here we go again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
GollyGTFC
September 3, 2020, 6:36pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from mimma
...here we go again

It's not here we go again. It's a fact that Fenty hasn't had to put a penny in for years and years, so felt no urgency to sell up. That has all changed now and he'd be delighted if somebody took the club and the responsibility for underwriting losses off his hands.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 31
dicko995
September 3, 2020, 6:43pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -252
Gold Stars: 26
mimma..... shut up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
crusty ole pie
September 3, 2020, 7:24pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,382
Gold Stars: 66
Think it’s about time we started talking of redevelopment of bp rebuild  the main stand at about the current height but running the the full length of the pitch turning behind the goal and again the full width of the pitch and getting local big companies involved in contributing to the cost in lieu of the stand being named after their business. As the years  go by and scheme after scheme falls down I am starting to believe the new stadium will never come to fruition
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
aldi_01
September 3, 2020, 7:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
This is in danger of turning in to a debate on a new stadium and futile conversation about redevelopment of a ground that simply won’t happen.

The original topic of naming rights is an interesting one; many a club has done it and it’s generated some much needed income. Fans can still call it whatever they want but to companies hearing and seeing their name associated with a stadium on the TV etc it’s a big deal.

Even if it only generated £20k a season it’s better than a poke in the eye...the wider question is, are Grimsby town forward thinking enough, do they think an advert buried within a website is enough? Are the club arsed? Is the club progressive enough to see the benefits and has the capacity and know how to go and broker that deal...or are they just happy being somewhat sentimental.

There’s a possibility they could go the other way as some of the bigger clubs have and actually make BP the brand, it’s unlikely given we’re a small club with a small fan base but surely we should be doing something at least? Isn’t that what the commercial department is for?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
HertsGTFC
September 3, 2020, 8:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
It’s a dump but a dump that has overall provided me with so many happy memories, I’ve really missed it and will be really fed up if we miss out on a ballot the week after next

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
moosey_club
September 3, 2020, 9:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,320
Gold Stars: 229
Who always beats us at B.P ?

Get in touch with them and ask them if for a few grand they would be interested in naming the ground " club name away win banker stadium" ....gauranteed press coverage world wide for the club.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
Heisenberg
September 3, 2020, 10:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
It’s a dump but a dump that has overall provided me with so many happy memories, I’ve really missed it and will be really fed up if we miss out on a ballot the week after next

I don’t doubt you there, but it’s just like Wembley for me - yes the place had history, but it’s 50/50 at best for good and bad. BP has provided me with some of my WORST memories as well as my best. I can’t wait until we move, it has zero sentimental value to me. All I care about is GTFC, I don’t care about the ground. It’s an embarrassment in the 20th century, and we’re DEEP into that now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
Vance Warner
September 3, 2020, 10:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,832
Gold Stars: 106

Gary Croft?

Guy Martin?

Shaun Pulfrey?

Any more?

I believe Docks beers would love to sell beer at the ground but the club are tied into a long term deal which prevents it. There’s no doubt the BP experience could be made much better if you had people in charge with any vision.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
Posh Harry
September 4, 2020, 7:27am
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,376
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Heisenberg

I don’t doubt you there, but it’s just like Wembley for me - yes the place had history, but it’s 50/50 at best for good and bad. BP has provided me with some of my WORST memories as well as my best. I can’t wait until we move, it has zero sentimental value to me. All I care about is GTFC, I don’t care about the ground. It’s an embarrassment in the 20th century, and we’re DEEP into that now.

Each to their own but I don’t find BP an embarrassment at all. Yes it is old, yes we need a new ground as soon as is possible (god knows when that will be), and yes it could do with updating in some areas even in the short term. But is a ground of atmosphere and character. Lots of away fans enjoy coming to BP because of that, rather than going into a soulless dome.

Commercially, yes we need a new ground, but it will not have the same feeling or character which is likely to be something we will never get back.

As for good and bad memories, well we all have them at BP, but if you think that is going to change at a new ground, then I think you will be very much mistaken.

I for one love BP. Yes, we need to move, but I will miss the place massively because of all those memories, both good and bad.

UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
Heisenberg
September 4, 2020, 8:13am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry

Each to their own but I don’t find BP an embarrassment at all. Yes it is old, yes we need a new ground as soon as is possible (god knows when that will be), and yes it could do with updating in some areas even in the short term. But is a ground of atmosphere and character. Lots of away fans enjoy coming to BP because of that, rather than going into a soulless dome.

Commercially, yes we need a new ground, but it will not have the same feeling or character which is likely to be something we will never get back.

As for good and bad memories, well we all have them at BP, but if you think that is going to change at a new ground, then I think you will be very much mistaken.

I for one love BP. Yes, we need to move, but I will miss the place massively because of all those memories, both good and bad.

UTMM

I think the atmosphere it generates, even for a big game, is muted at best.  It's been like that since the corners disappeared.  I remember standing in the open corners for a few games in the early-to-mid 90's and it was great when full, but it's not up to much now.  And how the Main and Osmond stands can be deemed as safe is beyond me.

Also the Findus stand; fantastic views up there, I love it, but getting out or to the toilet is a nightmare; I'm also amazed that gets a certificate in this day and age either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
GollyGTFC
September 4, 2020, 8:52am

Whiskey Drinker

They wont get any takers either if they think an advert on the website will do the trick.

Find a connection with a local company and go out and sell it to them!

The best way if they are serious is to sell the naming rights for 1 year at a very cheap price. That will alert other businesses to the reach and exposure having BP named after their company would have.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 31
rancido
September 4, 2020, 1:11pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,658
Gold Stars: 101

Gary Croft?

Guy Martin?

Shaun Pulfrey?

Any more?

Yes and when the last one left he wanted his loans back immediately , even if it meant the club going under! Sadly too many fans don't either remember or know of these incidents. For all his faults JF has not put the club in that position with regards to his " benign " loans.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
Boris Johnson
September 4, 2020, 1:44pm
Table Wine Drinker

Gary Croft?

Guy Martin?

Shaun Pulfrey?

Any more?

Guy Martin isnt a football fan....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 31
moosey_club
September 5, 2020, 9:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,320
Gold Stars: 229
With the reason given behind releasing Limbrick then we should approach Costcutters or Poundstretchers,  perfect fit.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 31
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stadium naming rights

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.