Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Holloway: I'm as flat out as a lizard’s tongue
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 269 Guests

Holloway: I'm as flat out as a lizard’s tongue

This thread currently has 12,519 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
August 30, 2020, 2:23pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,084
Gold Stars: 201

Holloway: I’m as flat out as a lizard’s tongue trying to bring new players to Grimsby Town.

Grimsby Town manager on his ongoing search for new signings.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/grimsby-town-transfer-news-holloway-4470683

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Madeleymariner
August 30, 2020, 2:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 51
Part of that says to me, I'm waiting for  a load of cheap/free loans which wont be avaialble till the Champ/prem teams have sorted out their squads in Octoiber.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
RichMariner
August 30, 2020, 3:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,163
Gold Stars: 212
I wonder... how many clubs in L1 and L2 are operating like we are, i.e. putting Covid clauses in contracts?

Obviously we know Port Vale aren't. Are Town in the majority or minority?

Let's say we start the season with the squad we have. We struggle all season and finish bottom. But who will go down? If fans can't return to stadiums and the whole season is played out behind closed doors (or with limited capacity) clubs like Vale may struggle to pay their players and end up like Macclesfield.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
moosey_club
August 30, 2020, 3:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,325
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from RichMariner
I wonder... how many clubs in L1 and L2 are operating like we are, i.e. putting Covid clauses in contracts?

Obviously we know Port Vale aren't. Are Town in the majority or minority?

Let's say we start the season with the squad we have. We struggle all season and finish bottom. But who will go down? If fans can't return to stadiums and the whole season is played out behind closed doors (or with limited capacity) clubs like Vale may struggle to pay their players and end up like Macclesfield.

Or they may just have a board or chair willing to foot the bill.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
Heswall Mariner
August 30, 2020, 3:20pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +594
Gold Stars: 30
I seem to recall that a couple of weeks ago Ollie said that he had a shed load of decent players wanting to join us. Perhaps it's the Covid clause he wants inserted in their contracts - but things seem to have  changed drastically.
Hey ho we are just going to have to give youth a chance especially in those two openers which in truth will effectively be pre season work outs. Mark you I still want us to win those.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
gtfc82
August 30, 2020, 3:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Get Hessenthaler back? Just an idea.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
Mikey_345
August 30, 2020, 4:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,583
Gold Stars: 113
A fair point Ollie has made is that all these players are 5 months out of football. No good jumping into deals for players that might not be what they were...

Alot of the better younger players won’t be in a position to move out permanently or on loan until Prem and Championship teams have sorted their first team squads.

The Covid clause also makes a lot of sense. Drafted by the EFL on several clubs request. Surprised many not using it, feel come the winter many of them may regret that decision.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
male private Nale
August 30, 2020, 5:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -923
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from gtfc82
Get Hessenthaler back? Just an idea.

I have said the same, he knows the club, not fixed up yet, by all accounts he was at the Clee Town game.

Maybe it is to do with the kind of contracts we are able to offer at the minute compared to the one he was previously on, Holloway said he wouldn't insult the players he let go by trying to re-sign them on the contracts being offered.

It's a brave new world out there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
Heswall Mariner
August 30, 2020, 5:21pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +594
Gold Stars: 30
Not a bad idea to get Hess back - wouldn't need to have him on trial as he is a known quantity.
Would he want to though? - probably sitting on other options.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
aldi_01
August 30, 2020, 5:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’d be interested to know if any of those clubs who requested a COVID clause type thing have them decided against it?

I think we all know Holloway has a lot to say, some makes sense, some is total waffle. That’s just who he is. I guess we’ll not really know how far away we are from having anything like a squad that’s any good when the season starts as we do every year.

Have other clubs struggled like us to get friendlies or signings?

In terms of playing being 5 months short, I guess that’s the same for everyone and why some teams probably see this as an opportunity to capitalise on a league that could be potentially poor quality.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Holloway: I'm as flat out as a lizard’s tongue

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.