4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
August 30, 2020, 10:28am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
Wonder what will happen in march /april if that's when the financial tipping point comes? Go part time would be the obvious answer.
I bet they are praying that several clubs get involved in a bidding war for pollock
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 33
aldi_01
August 30, 2020, 10:33am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
It’s easy to blame the top flight or foreign owners for the issues in football but it’s much more than that.

I think the EFL or clubs like ours sitting and waiting for them to help us out is a little daft. It’s not a guarantee and there’s no hard evidence to say it’ll be forthcoming.

As a club we seem to have some sort of plan; ours is overly cautious and based on ensuring the club simply exists in a year or so. Some will have their own views on that.

For other clubs, they’ve seen this as an opportunity to speculate and go for it, possibly assuming the league may not be as competitive and it’s a good chance to go up and move forward. Again, some may think this a big gamble, others see it as positive speculation.

I don’t think clubs being on the brink is a league 2 issue, I suspect it goes across all the leagues but it is what it is. In reality we’ve only lost Bury recently; Christ, Bolton were on the brink and were purchased and then borrowed 40m...

Depends how cynical you are too, the more dependent we become on top flight clubs and the league you can see the B team or ‘feeder’ club approach becoming even more of a reality...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 33
malkamalka
August 30, 2020, 1:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +150
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from MuddyWaters
It grates with me that the Premier League aren’t helping a great deal, but there’s surely enough clout in the upper echelons of the EFL (ie ex Premier League chairmen) to get this sorted.

Not surprising. It was Portsmouth's refusal to pay Town £300k after the ITV Digital fiasco that put us in the deep mess financially that we still haven't recovered from. That money, together with Dudley Ramsden's "gifted" £300k would have paid of a lot of the debt including HMRC. (Remember, Town were close to being wound up over that debt)

The answer is to become self sustainable and not rely on others. If a "grant" becomes available, then take it, but don't rely on it to develop a future budget.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 33
MuddyWaters
August 30, 2020, 2:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from malkamalka

Not surprising. It was Portsmouth's refusal to pay Town £300k after the ITV Digital fiasco that put us in the deep mess financially that we still haven't recovered from. That money, together with Dudley Ramsden's "gifted" £300k would have paid of a lot of the debt including HMRC. (Remember, Town were close to being wound up over that debt)

The answer is to become self sustainable and not rely on others. If a "grant" becomes available, then take it, but don't rely on it to develop a future budget.

Thought it was Leicester to be honest. Mind you, I've tried to blank out that part of Town's history  
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chair on Radio Humberside Sat pm

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.