4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
August 21, 2020, 10:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, open the stadiums with a simple message, if you’re worried about catching a cold then if you enter it’s at your own risk.

We are all adults and this children that attend have been given permission by an adult. Simples really.

If people are worried then stay away.

As I said, football generates income in many businesses up and down the land on a weekend, not just within the ground.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 39
cmackenzie4
August 21, 2020, 10:33am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.24
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from HackneyHaddock

As I understand it (unless it's been changed) then each of the clubs gets something like 70/80% of the online ticket price for any tickets bought from their platform.  So if we sold 1500 iFollows for Scunny away, that would go to us.  If Bratfud sell 5,000 iFollow tickets, then they keep the money.  This was a bone of contention with Accrington Chairman Andy Holt when games were put on iFollow as he saw it as taking money from the home team, and him running a club with small gates who rely more on away fans.  We're in the reverse position of having a good away following that subsidises other clubs who probably don't bring many to us.  I think the only net bigger (than we took to the return game) followings at BP last season would have been maybe Plymouth and Oldham.

Interesting challenge for the club will be to try to harness iFollow, not only for the revenue, but as a way of just getting more people in North East Lincs watching Town and feeling connected to the club.  Could we see drive-in or socially distanced watch parties with big screens and food stalls?  Perhaps not. Maybe use social media to get fans to post pictures of them watching at home, or prepare packs of flags, posters and Town gear to send to Pubs and Clubs where people might be watching.  If the club can't get people into BP, it should take BP out to the people.  Would also be a great way of showing the players that the whole town backs them even though we're not allowed to fill the ground.

Totally agree with your second paragraph.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 39
supertown
August 21, 2020, 10:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,471
Gold Stars: 53
I think that in a years time this virus will be treated like any other but for now it’s a case of trying to survive the huge economic downturn that it has brought with it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 39
Poojah
August 21, 2020, 10:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,878
Gold Stars: 1,523
Quoted from aldi_01
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, open the stadiums with a simple message, if you’re worried about catching a cold then if you enter it’s at your own risk.

We are all adults and this children that attend have been given permission by an adult. Simples really.

If people are worried then stay away.

As I said, football generates income in many businesses up and down the land on a weekend, not just within the ground.

The issue with that approach is that it overlooks how human transmissible viruses work. You and I may not be worried about catching the viruses in terms of the risk to our own personal health, but what about all of the potentially more vulnerable people we go on to encounter?

It’s not necessarily about who contracts the virus while at the match, but rather about how those individuals spread it thereafter.

I don’t disagree about all of the third-party businesses that closing stadiums impacts - the same is true of all of the small city centre businesses reliant on office workers. The solution just isn’t a simple one.

It’s not just about the grounds themselves either, but also how people get there. Blundell Park is a more straightforward case; few people are cramming themselves onto packed public transport to get to the game, but that’s not the case for many other stadiums.

It does perhaps lean towards a more tailored solution based on the unique logistics of each ground rather than a one size fits all approach. Simple, though, it is not.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 39
male private Nale
August 21, 2020, 10:48am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -925
Gold Stars: 136
No point missed, I just think it is irrelevant when big awaydays fall in this fixture list as we wont be attending them. Seats will be like gold dust at grounds with reduced capacity with home fans getting full allocation maybe into next season too.
Quoted from aldi_01

I think you missed the point...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 39
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
August 21, 2020, 11:43am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +878
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from Poojah

The issue with that approach is that it overlooks how human transmissible viruses work. You and I may not be worried about catching the viruses in terms of the risk to our own personal health, but what about all of the potentially more vulnerable people we go on to encounter?

It’s not necessarily about who contracts the virus while at the match, but rather about how those individuals spread it thereafter.

I don’t disagree about all of the third-party businesses that closing stadiums impacts - the same is true of all of the small city centre businesses reliant on office workers. The solution just isn’t a simple one.

It’s not just about the grounds themselves either, but also how people get there. Blundell Park is a more straightforward case; few people are cramming themselves onto packed public transport to get to the game, but that’s not the case for many other stadiums.

It does perhaps lean towards a more tailored solution based on the unique logistics of each ground rather than a one size fits all approach. Simple, though, it is not.

I agree. As an example, every time the sun comes out, Cleethorpes is filled with thousands of visiting Yorkshire people who live in areas that have a much higher rate of infection, and yet the local transmission rate is still quite low, and its more than likely because everyone is in the open air. Yes there are people in shops etc but as long as rules are adhered to, hands are washed when necessary, it goes to prove that virus transmission can be as controlled as possible until a vaccine makes an appearance. Open air BP cant be any more dangerous than passing a queue a mile long outside every chippy in Cleethorpes where its impossible to socially distance. If people want to wear a mask for their own safety, let them, but strict adherence to any R+R's within the ground would have to be followed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 39
grimsby pete
August 21, 2020, 11:47am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Last match of the season away to Cambridge my nearest game.

If the virus has gone and we are one point from promotion that's going to be a cracking game with town fans outnumbering home ones.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 39
Eastendmariner
August 21, 2020, 12:14pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
creepy Crawley on a Tuesday can't wait  and Saaaarfend on a Tuesday Madness

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 39
lew chaterleys lover
August 21, 2020, 1:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Poojah

But your scenario relates to every other form of human interaction.  We cannot hibernate.

We can go to the pub if we want to. We go to the shops. We go to work.

Football should allow in those fans that want to go, restrict the numbers and if we must wear masks and just get on with it.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 39
jamesgtfc
August 21, 2020, 2:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
When you look at most of the things you can do now, not being able to attend a football match is ridiculous.

I can go to the pub and bump into drunken people. I can dine out and even get it half price some days! I can ride on a rollercoaster and I can watch a game of cricket. I can even go swimming now but letting people watch football is far more dangerous than any of that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fixtures published on Friday

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.