This thread currently has 14,306 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
August 20, 2020, 1:00am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,283
Gold Stars: 103
We are always going to sell talent like Bennett and Pollock. I’d imagine Holloway is shrewd enough to make sure we don’t get shafted. Is he good enough? No-one can be sure yet, but he is going to be a beast of a Centre Back at whatever level he peaks at. Let’s hope for us it’s in the Premier and we get decent wedge for his services.
One person in all this that deserves huge credit is Neil Woods, he’s got a great eye for youth players.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 82
hheh2
August 20, 2020, 1:47am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Must have been scouts looking at him at our games, but is much more mature than his age

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 82
aldi_01
August 20, 2020, 8:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think some folk missed the point of upping his wages and extending his contract...

It isn’t to keep him from signing for a bigger club, more to with them having to fork out more, allowing us and him to negotiate a better deal.

Let’s not forget that his dad played at the top level and has clearly been giving him great support so far. Personally, I’d have Pollock in my starting 11. No doubt he has things to learn, yes, he lacks a bit of pace but with the right coaching and playing experience I honestly believe he will get better.

Again, this is only a good thing for us and him.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 82
jock dock tower
August 20, 2020, 9:02am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from Poojah

In normal times I’d have guessed at somewhere between £500k and £750k with addons. He’s played a lot less senior football than Ryan Bennett had when we sold him, and he was also our captain (rightly or wrongly).

Clearly the market has inflated massively since then, particularly in the top flight, but PL clubs will be well aware of the desperate times facing clubs like Town, and don’t expect them to be empathetic or selfless about that.

The big thing for Town will be how many clubs show serious interest, if any of course. Ultimately, I think we’ll be prepared to take a smaller overall package that secures more cash up front than any deal loaded with future instalments and add-ons.

I hate how clubs like Town are forced to sell their young players as soon as they show a modicum of talent, but right now we shouldn’t underestimate how big a deal the sale of Mattie Pollock and any sell on money for Dembele, should either materialise, would be for the club.

The lunacy of big money transfers in the Premiership is alive and well. Check out Sheffield United re-signing the goalkeeper they once sold for £800k for over £18 million now Henderson's decided to stay at Old Trafford.

If I’m not mistaken, both were brought into the club on Russell Slade’s watch. Christ almighty, wouldn’t it just be mental if the folically challenged PE teacher somehow managed to leave one of the most important legacies in the club’s long history!?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 82
jamesgtfc
August 20, 2020, 9:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,053
Gold Stars: 190
If Pollock went to tribunal we wouldn't get a fortune because he bounced around a number of clubs as a youngster and only signed for us at 16. In a year we are only responsible for 3 years of his footballing education. We would probably get more at tribunal for Wright who has been here since wearing nappies.

I believe Bennett signed a decent contract before we sold him didn't he?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 82
monkeyboy
August 20, 2020, 9:59am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
If he signed 3 year extension, not inly does his wage get better it also ensures the buying club will have to pay more to buy his services.
Mattie would be the winner , pay rise or huge pay rise. It helps him and it helps the finances of the club.

How many 18 year old centre backs play in any of the 4 top divisions in the country? not bloody many and he looks pretty mature too. i would imagine by the time hes 27/28 approaching his prime his reading of the game will be much better and he will be much stronger too. at centre back pace is not really relevant as it would be at say left back. its reading the game that counts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 82
pen penfras
August 20, 2020, 10:19am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from monkeyboy
If he signed 3 year extension, not inly does his wage get better it also ensures the buying club will have to pay more to buy his services.
Mattie would be the winner , pay rise or huge pay rise. It helps him and it helps the finances of the club.

How many 18 year old centre backs play in any of the 4 top divisions in the country? not bloody many and he looks pretty mature too. i would imagine by the time hes 27/28 approaching his prime his reading of the game will be much better and he will be much stronger too. at centre back pace is not really relevant as it would be at say left back. its reading the game that counts.

Do you really think he'd potentially hinder his own chances of earning a big money move by signing a slightly improved contract for us? There is zero incentive for him to do that, unless he somehow loves the club so much that he put GTFC before his own career. The only reason to sign a new improved contract is if he thinks he won't be going anywhere else.

The best way for us and him to get a better deal is to have multiple clubs battling for his signature. Then play them off against each other until the highest bidder remains.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 82
Abdul19
August 20, 2020, 10:29am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,616
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I believe Bennett signed a decent contract before we sold him didn't he?

Aye, a four year deal in the summer of 2009 (he signed for Peterborough (permanently) in January 2010).

http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=2839

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 82
TownSNAFU5
August 20, 2020, 10:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
At least this is a positive topic, unlike some clubs who are uncertain if they will survive.

For all the money that Prem clubs have, they are reluctant to pay even small sums and take a risk on a good player in the lower-leagues.  Jamie Vardy scored goals for fun and had great pace.  Leicester eventually paid a £1M for him.  He played for England, won the Prem and at 33 still has pace and regarded (by his manager) as one of the best strikers in the world.  (Strangely, I was told last night by a Bolton fan that Micky Mellon encouraged Sam Allydyce to buy Vardy for a million.  He bitterly regrets not buying him).  

No top Prem club bought Van Dijk from Celtic.  (Bar Southampton for a bargain).  Not proven in the Prem. When he was..............

Mattie might not peak as a CB for around 10 years.  Surely, clubs have learnt from the Vardy purchase and more willing to take a gamble for someone who might surprise everybody?   Nobody like to miss out.

Small risk v potential good return. At his age they could also sell-him on and recover their investment or make a profit?    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 82
ska face
August 20, 2020, 10:51am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,812
Gold Stars: 852
Neil Woods is keeping this club afloat.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mattie Pollock

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.