Reply: 20 - 27
diehardmariner
August 17, 2020, 2:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,717
Gold Stars: 543
He definitely had talent.  Looked more effective when he was the main focal point in attack.  I think it was Exeter away when he had Wright and Rose either side of them where everything stuck to him.  Then Mansfield away where he was a proper nuisance, acting as the perfect outlet when we went down to ten men.

I thought Holloway might fancy the challenge of working and getting the best out of him on a consistent basis.  But as Tommy has said I think wages might have played a part, plus (if I recall right) Holloway dropped a couple of big hints about the team ethic and dressing room morale.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
BobbyCummingsTackle
August 17, 2020, 2:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,320
Gold Stars: 309
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com ? And the winter nights flew by....

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
fishboyUTM
August 18, 2020, 7:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Tommy
I thought he was alright and offered something with his strong hold-up play and unpredictability.

He was apparently on big money though and I thought at the time we released him that this was probably the real factor in Holloway wanting him out. To free up some funds for him to bring a few in.

Ogbu only had five months of his deal left anyway. He would not have terminated his deal early for no money, we will have paid him the majority, if not all of his contract up. I thought he was naive for a 29 year old, often making the wrong decision, something you'd associate with 20 year olds learning their trade, not 29 years olds in their prime.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
toontown
August 18, 2020, 8:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Ogbu only had five months of his deal left anyway. He would not have terminated his deal early for no money, we will have paid him the majority, if not all of his contract up. I thought he was naive for a 29 year old, often making the wrong decision, something you'd associate with 20 year olds learning their trade, not 29 years olds in their prime.

Aye but say we paid him 75% of his wages. That remaining 25% may have gone say half way to paying towards what burnley wanted us to cough up for Benson for example. Not saying it was like that  but it could have been it's all about juggling budgets. The savings from getting rid might not have been huge but combined with other things (increased ticket sales etc) could have allowed someone to be brought in. That's why club's do this sort of stuff.
I agree with you about His naievity tho. Got bollocked a few times by Macca for his losing the ball on edge of the  box
To be fair I thought he was a useful squad player but claiming he should have started every game is laughable with hanson vernam and Clarke as alternatives
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
Jarmo.Is.God
August 19, 2020, 12:43pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
He was what you expect from a league 2 player, some things he did was very very good, but then at times went missing, and looked so out of his depth.

I would of 100% liked to have seen more of him, but we didn't get to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
RichMariner
August 19, 2020, 1:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,163
Gold Stars: 212
One of the many players who spent time at GTFC and never managed to show his true potential.

Not saying that was 100% the player's fault — they need to be given chances, and a run in the team. Ogbu was in and out through injury, then through manager selection, and not always playing in the same position.

Stop-start all the time. Then the manager left, and a new one came in. All within six months.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
Sandford1981
August 19, 2020, 1:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
He’s just another player on a long list of forgettable names in our history. Nothing against the lad he just wasn’t that great.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Moses Ogbu on why he really left

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.